Game Dungeon Wish List

I don't even know if this game will fit the game dungeon, but the only way to know is to recommend it.

I recommend Split Second, the racing game where stopping at the term "racing game" is an understatement.

It's a game I find hard to explain outside of that term, though. It was made in 2010, I feel it has good graphics, and although the story may be unrealistic, it's still a fun and action-packed game. In my opinion, the soundtrack is filled with high-tempo tracks that fit the environments you're put in.

Now for the part where I sound like a spokesperson for this game.

Calling the racing in this game "high octane" isn't enough to show how high octane it is. If something isn't exploding near you, something's being flown towards you. And if you're not trying to make other people crash from the same explosions and things flying in directions, then you're either good enough at the game to be ahead, or that first place spot, maybe even second place, isn't going to have you in it. There are several different game modes in Split Second, such as one where a helicopter fires missiles at you, and you have to evade them, Racing: Battle Royale, and a bunch more. I have said all that I can without explaining the game to its last atom, but I feel it would be a good game to review.

I would like to put forward a game, La-Mulana (MSX graphics).   The game is a puzzle-metroidvania, in which mythology and a heavy emphasis on riddles is key to advancing.  The riddles and their solutions are often found far apart from each, often with obtuse meaning that requires thinking about what they are trying to say.

Milon's Secret Castle, Simon's Quest, Zelda, King's Quest, Myst, none of these can match the mysterious character of La-Mulana.  You may love it, or hate it - but it will not be boring.

La-Mulana%20MSX.png?attredirects=0

Also, I would like Ross to try to seek out the Hell Temple, and to find the treasure hidden within.   Does the master of Accursed Farms have the ability to unravel the mysteries of La-Mulana without a guide?

Meteor

Top-down military shooter from 1999. I have never played a top-down game like this, it was definitely one of a kind. Would love to see Ross review it some day.

ezgif-6-ce706cf2c556.png

shot5.jpg

1 hour ago, Gubbins said:

Meteor

Top-down military shooter from 1999. I have never played a top-down game like this, it was definitely one of a kind. Would love to see Ross review it some day.

I had something like that for my Apple ][c way back when...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

33 minutes ago, BTGBullseye said:

I had something like that for my Apple ][c way back when...

What was the game?

8 hours ago, Gubbins said:

What was the game?

I never found out what, if any, name it had... All I had was an unlabeled floppy, and it didn't have a splash screen or unique file names that would indicate the game name.

Has anyone recommended Yume Nikki yet? It's a Japanese Indie game, from 2004 I think. It's really surreal and kinda creepy, but it sure is an experience. It has somewhat of a cult following. There's actually a whole community for fan-games of it, so much so that there's a Yume-Nikki wiki (A Yume-Wikki, if you would), and a Yume-Nikki fangames wiki.

Either way, it's a neat little game, and it's free too.

There was a 3D remake/re-imagining from a separate developer a couple years ago. I haven't played it, but I heard it's quite good, if a lot more linear and puzzle-based than the original's "just walk around" gameplay.

I feel a Game Dungeon on it could be interesting. Just an idea ~

On 4/20/2020 at 6:26 PM, Hace of Spades said:

Has anyone recommended Yume Nikki yet? It's a Japanese Indie game, from 2004 I think. It's really surreal and kinda creepy, but it sure is an experience. It has somewhat of a cult following. There's actually a whole community for fan-games of it, so much so that there's a Yume-Nikki wiki (A Yume-Wikki, if you would), and a Yume-Nikki fangames wiki.

There was a 3D remake/re-imagining from a separate developer a couple years ago. I haven't played it, but I heard it's quite good, if a lot more linear and puzzle-based than the original's "just walk around" gameplay.

Talking about RPGmaker games, I would love if Ross covered Hylics, amazing game, and one of the few games made using claymation out there (alongside The Neverhood and Dujanah), the game has the right amount of nonsense, weirdness and fun, it would be quite the opportune time to cover it since the beta for the second game is out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMC_69eJdw4

Although an episode of Game Dungeon covering various RPGMaker games like Space Funeral and Yume Nikki would be great too

unnamed.png

I'd love to see a Harvester or Sanitarium one, either one of these games would be perfect for a Halloween special, I think there would be a lot to talk about. They're creepy, weird, grotesque even,  obscure-ish and broken at times, which is why I think they would be great candidates for a GD.

I'd also like to see a Deadly Premonition one, with the second episode coming out this year, and I know Ross loves bugged games that are hard to get to work properly ?

On 4/21/2020 at 2:26 AM, Hace of Spades said:

I feel like this is probably too well-known for there to be much point in Ross covering it. The few famous titles that were on Game Dungeon thus far were ones he wanted to look at from a seldom-looked at angle. It's a shame cause I think Yume Nikki perfectly captures the vibe Ross apparently associates with Commodore 64 games, where you're dropped in an uncaring, alienating dream world with no clue what's happening or what you're supposed to do.

I know this is a bit new of a game for the Game Dungeon, but it might be an interesting one to have a sort of genre review of this game's genre instead of just a specific game. (since the game itself really isn't large enough to be able to fill a GD episode)

Vecter https://store.steampowered.com/app/1175140/Vecter/

On 5/14/2020 at 4:14 PM, Mira said:

I feel like this is probably too well-known for there to be much point in Ross covering it. The few famous titles that were on Game Dungeon thus far were ones he wanted to look at from a seldom-looked at angle. It's a shame cause I think Yume Nikki perfectly captures the vibe Ross apparently associates with Commodore 64 games, where you're dropped in an uncaring, alienating dream world with no clue what's happening or what you're supposed to do.

Yeah, I guess you might be right..

Alternatively, there is a recent (as in "a few months ago" recent) game called Star-Fetchers. It's only a free "intro" currently, but I thought it was a blast, gameplay and story-wise, and it also has a rather surreal vibe to it, which I love ~

Unfortunately, it is rather short... I finished it in its current state in a little over an hour, so that could potentially be a problem. Still, I think it has potential for a Game Dungeon, maybe.

Edited by Hace of Spades (see edit history)

Has anyone mentioned this obscure Polish game called Pył (Dust). It's a 3D FPS with stealth elements from 1999. I only found out about this recently and thought this would make prime game dungeon material.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/py

Gameplay footage:

Apparently it never had an international relase, but there is a working english fan translation made.

609347-pyl-windows-screenshot-target-locked.png

609343-pyl-windows-screenshot-the-flare.png

609340-pyl-windows-screenshot-the-scope.png

Edited by elloowd (see edit history)

Armed and Dangerous

Not to be confused with Armed and Delirious. This game is a third person shooter developed by Planet Moon Studios (also responsible for Giants: Citizen Kabuto), a team composed of ex-Shiny Entertainment devs, you know, the same studio responsible for MDK.

As a game it's playable, but pretty standard (except for one infuriating level). What makes this game stand out is it's plot and manual backstory, that in true Shiny fashion, is extremely silly and filled with british humour and black comedy. Definitely a type of game that you won't see been made today.

Hunt Down the Freeman

Yeah, I know. This game was already ridicularized enough (I recommend Civvie 11 video on it if you guys want some laughs) to the point of being a dead horse, but I still think there's still one last nail that needs to be nailed down to shut this game's coffin for good, and I can't think of a better person than Ross to do it.

One of the reasons is already obvious, since Ross does the Freeman's Mind series he has good insight on Half-Life's lore to tell why this game doesn't fit in. Or maybe just comment on the story in general and maybe why it would suck even if it didn't have the Half-Life name on it. Or just a excuse to talk about Half-Life lore in general.

But maybe it could be also a good opportunity to comment on the most glaring issue of this game: This is not just a glorified Half-Life fanfic, It is a Half-Life fanfic that was ENDORSED by Valve. Which could be a good excuse to talk about Valve in general and their lack of care to what they sell in their store.

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

Just a idea for a Halloween episode, if not this year, maybe another year.

I'm sure Ross is pretty much aware of this game, but for those who don't, I'll tell what's all about: It's a point-and-click adventure game based on a sci-fi novel of the same name (and the author himself was also involved in the production), and it's about AM, a rogue AI that exterminated all humanity, except for 5 individuals that AM decided to give immortality so it could torture them to exercise it's own hatred on humanity. And AM tortures them by taking advantage of their psychological problems, past traumas, and even dark pasts.

Needless to say, it's a very intense game, and has by far (in my opinion at least) the best evil AI you can find in a videogame.

On 12/30/2018 at 5:51 PM, RaTcHeT302 said:

because i wanted to try the third game out, but the second game not running at all, lowered my expectations, of the third game, by a lot, along with the Skittles thing, which I don't really understand

I know that sounds extremely awkward since I've been away from the forum for a looooooong time, and only now I'm replying you (sorry about that), but I have to reply because I'm puzzled: Where did I said that Sacred is about a Skittles comercial? I was referring to Darkened Skye, I mentioned Sacred 3 but as a comparrison.

Sorry if I sounded rude, it's just that I'm confused.

On 5/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, Mira said:

I don't think that obscure is a obligatory requirement anymore for the show. What defines Game Dungeon to me is Ross's commentary on anything unique about a game, being atmosphere, story, or gameplay, especially if you compare it with the rest of the mainstream gaming scene. It's easy to find that in obscure games (and even this could be the reason why they became obscure), but not all unique games I see that I think deserve mention are not obscure, or at least not THAT obscure compared to some of the stuff that Ross bring to the show. (seriously, where does he finds that stuff? I could have died without knowing that shit like Armed and Delirious actually exist)

So I can see him talking about Yume Nikki just fine.

Edited by Kaiosama TLJ (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Kaiosama TLJ said:

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

Just a idea for a Halloween episode, if not this year, maybe another year.

I'm sure Ross is pretty much aware of this game, but for those who don't, I'll tell what's all about: It's a point-and-click adventure game based on a sci-fi novel of the same name (and the author himself was also involved in the production), and it's about AM, a rogue AI that exterminated all humanity, except for 5 individuals that AM decided to give immortality so it could torture them to exercise it's own hatred on humanity. And AM tortures them by taking advantage of their psychological problems, past traumas, and even dark pasts.

Needless to say, it's a very intense game, and has by far (in my opinion at least) the best evil AI you can find in a videogame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream (for those who may end up wondering)

Fuel

Okay Ross, you said that The Crew has the SECOND biggest driving open-world, what about making a episode about the game that has THE biggest driving open-world, huh? I dunno if that's true, you are the one that's saying that...

Ok, jokes aside, I don't know much about this one (except that it's post-apocalyptical), so I'm kind of curious about your opinion on this one. Especially if there's anything else besides the size of the world that it does better compared to The Crew.

Slain: Back from Hell

This is a platformer with a heavy-metal theme, but that's not the reason why I'm suggesting it. It's because this game is a warrior.

Remember the "somebody cared" award that Ross gave to The Chosen and A New Beginning? Well, it's like that, but on a different scale. This was originally lauched as simply "Slain!", and was heavily criticized for being brutally unfair and broken in some areas, and it was. However, the developer decided to give an overhaul and relauch it as "Slain: Back from Hell", and... It's still hard as nails, but at least it's fair this time, so it's a good game now.

I would say that it's interesing because even though we live in a era where it's easier to download a patch to a game, the games that are usually patched by the devs are ones that didn't receive mostly negative reviews and they only do some bug fixes and small quality of life changes. Otherwise, they may be left to rot and/or they get mod support for modders to fix things that the devs could've fixed themselves (I'm looking at both of you, Bethesda and Cucklefish). This, alongside War for the Overworld, is one of the few exceptions, where the developer decided to fix it despite the bad press. Back from Hell indeed.

Gateworld would make for a great Game Dungeon.  It was originally meant to be an Apogee title, but they ditched it due to "poor quality" and it got picked up by Homebrew Software.  My guess is, it was supposed to be a Crystal Caves sequel, or possibly related to Duke Nukem.  Dunno, but either way, it's got....something. 

Edited by DukeNukem 2417 (see edit history)

Rock of Ages

It's really not that old, it has a sequel, and it's not that obscure, but it's a game that screams Game Dungeon to me. Why? Well, can anyone define what genre this game belongs?

For those who don't know, it's a game where you control a boulder, and you need to roll it towards the enemy's gate to break it until you crush it. But your enemy is also doing the same, and you both can place defenses along the way to slow the progress of each other.

So, we could say that this game is a combination of a physics game, a racing game, and a tower defense game. Is that enough to qualify this game as a weird and unique experience?

23 hours ago, DukeNukem 2417 said:

Gateworld would make for a great Game Dungeon.  It was originally meant to be an Apogee title, but they ditched it due to "poor quality" and it got picked up by Homebrew Software.  My guess is, it was supposed to be a Crystal Caves sequel, or possibly related to Duke Nukem.  Dunno, but either way, it's got....something.

Since I've played Crystal Caves to completion, I can say that it's leaning more towards a possible sequel of that game. But seriously, WTF is up with that music?

Edited by Kaiosama TLJ (see edit history)