Game Dungeon Wish List

On 7/15/2020 at 3:58 PM, Kaiosama TLJ said:

Since I've played Crystal Caves to completion, I can say that it's leaning more towards a possible sequel of that game. But seriously, WTF is up with that music?

I never had a problem with the music; as long as you're using AdLib or Soundblaster, it doesn't really grate on my nerves.  You do have to run the game at a pretty high framerate to get smooth scrolling, though, unless you like really choppy movement. 

9 hours ago, DukeNukem 2417 said:

I never had a problem with the music; as long as you're using AdLib or Soundblaster, it doesn't really grate on my nerves.  You do have to run the game at a pretty high framerate to get smooth scrolling, though, unless you like really choppy movement. 

No, I didn't mean like that. When I said that I meant that I found the music trippy as all hell. Like if you are in a very psychotic dream.

Edited by Kaiosama TLJ (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Kaiosama TLJ said:

No, I didn't mean like that. When I said that I meant that I found the music trippy as all hell. Like if you are in a very psychotic dream.

My guess is, since the game was moved from Apogee to Homebrew Software, they didn't have a Lee Jackson or a Bobby Prince to make epic tunes for them and had to make do.  From what I remember, some of the second and third episodes' tracks aren't as trippy.

Obsidian (1996)

A first-person point-and-click adventure game published by the short-lived SegaSoft, and developed by the shorter-lived Rocket Science. Though critically acclaimed at the time of release, it sold so poorly that it ended up virtually unknown.

It's sort of like a science-fiction Alice in Wonderland (as the 'Wonderland' in question was created by a rogue artificial intelligence.) It has such a unique brand of weird that I haven't seen anywhere else; a fascinating and occasionally unsettling blend of the alien and the familiar, with lots of dream logic. 'Techno-organic' is a term that was mentioned in some promotional text for the game, and I think it really hits the nail on the head as far as the overall feel is concerned. I think it would be an excellent fit for Game Dungeon.

Screenshots:

spacer.png

Snap479Obsidian.jpg.76a43862bb0da6a97b26c57ebe14d75b.jpg

ObsidianVidbot.jpg.37d32b1c72cf70e0c7e199ea1cda353b.jpg

Some footage:

https://youtu.be/nHP8ZkGq31Y?t=97

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl_XupuNG1o

Edited by veritableVariable (see edit history)

Not sure if it's been suggested before but after a brief dip into the bizarre nightmare of Bad Day on the Midway I think it would fit right in with some of the more off-the-wall games in the dungeon. Not sure if Ross is into the Residents but who knows?

DROD (Deadly Rooms Of Death) Series

I know this one was already recommended before (and IIRC, I even quoted the guy who recommended it), but now that I'm picking up these games to play, I'm recommending again because I see they fit in Game Dungeon in many ways, even if it's a game that I don't know if Ross will appreciate. The reason being that this game is turn-based, and Ross said he was biased against it. But they are Puzzle games, so the turn-based part is understandable.

But the reason that I'm recommending it is because this series has history, in more ways than one. First, this was a old Windows 95 game that looked like this: (the footage I found on Youtube is from the last level by the way)

Later, in 2000, the creator got the rights back from it's publisher and rebooted the game, and even added sequels (the trailer at the beginning of the post is from the last game). And that's where the interesting part begins... Remember that I said that this game has history in more ways than one? The second way is that this series has lore and characters. The first game had a simple story: The King hires Beethro Budkin (you), to exterminate a monster infestation in his dungeons (especially giant man-eating cockroaches, which are a staple of the franchise), and find out the dungeons are deeper than it should be, and that monters are being controlled by a guy that apparently one of the King's lost sons.

Then the sequels start to get complicated, since all that I mentioned above is just the tip of the iceberg. Didn't played all of them yet, but let's just say many things happen, like Beethro discovering a underground empire dedicated to accumulate knowledge and history, your annoying nephew getting lost in the underground, a killer-clown that works for said empire and relentlessly pursues you, a eldrich abomination that only speaks in nonsensical riddles, a conspiracy hatched by one of the top members of said empire, and even the end of the world as they know it. I could say that the writing and world is comparable to Diskworld, but with less magic and more science.

Revenge of the Mutant Camels

(WARNING! If you are using headphones do NOT put this video at full volume due to the cacophony)

I remember this game vaguely from my shareware/demo disc days, and for the most part I remember it as a fever dream.

Just watch the video, and you guys may understand why I'm recommending it...

Edited by Kaiosama TLJ (see edit history)

On 8/29/2020 at 8:18 AM, Kaiosama TLJ said:

DROD (Deadly Rooms Of Death) Series

Yeah!, I also enjoyed this game series at the time (it went freebie on some platforms) but it is hard as nails, and even being turn based, things happen so quickly once you move that it is barely noticeable.
I still don't completely understand the pattern for the flying diagonal enemies.
Also I keep spinning the sword in the wrong direction :D
Links to all three games in flash form can be found here:
http://caravelgames.com/Articles/Games_2/FlashDROD/KDDL.html

Edited by kerdios (see edit history)

Burn the World!

On 7/25/2019 at 8:42 PM, Oculus said:

Personally I'd like to see him review underrail or arcanum, even if he hates them. 

I'll like to vouch for this, UnderRail would be interesting, though I get why he doesn't like em due to being Turn Based; though in UnderRail's case, if something DIES, it often STAYS dead. Humans don't respawn. You kill a abandoned mall full of pskyers? They stay dead. Some animals 'respawn' but that's more due to new guys coming into the new turf.

Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood , title of 2002 by Spellbound Entertainment.

I download this game every few years or so, to re-experience entire campaign for reasons beyond my comprehension. I just have to.
Given how atmospheric and fun this game is, I'm surprised to see nobody else has mentioned it already. I couldn't find other titles by Spellbound in here too. Either that or search engine is broken.
There is nothing particularly impressive about the mechanics of the game or inner workings of it's engine. Basically, it's moving sprites across a still picture, much like Commandos series, or Desperados which is also made by Spellbound. For me, the game never EVER crashed, old hardware or new. (not tested win10) However, art style and attention to detail in this isometric perspective story driven journey is absolutely "MAGNIFICENT!" (if you played the game you'll get the pun) and while lacking in vocal variety, sound work is so solid that not once the repetition bugged me.
I signed up to post this. Shutout to Ross, been watching since before he quit Machinima. Anyone else recall Legend of Sherwood with the fondest of memories?

On 9/29/2020 at 2:07 PM, turbobumers said:

Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood , title of 2002 by Spellbound Entertainment.

I download this game every few years or so, to re-experience entire campaign for reasons beyond my comprehension. I just have to.
Given how atmospheric and fun this game is, I'm surprised to see nobody else has mentioned it already. I couldn't find other titles by Spellbound in here too. Either that or search engine is broken.
There is nothing particularly impressive about the mechanics of the game or inner workings of it's engine. Basically, it's moving sprites across a still picture, much like Commandos series, or Desperados which is also made by Spellbound. For me, the game never EVER crashed, old hardware or new. (not tested win10) However, art style and attention to detail in this isometric perspective story driven journey is absolutely "MAGNIFICENT!" (if you played the game you'll get the pun) and while lacking in vocal variety, sound work is so solid that not once the repetition bugged me.
I signed up to post this. Shutout to Ross, been watching since before he quit Machinima. Anyone else recall Legend of Sherwood with the fondest of memories?

I remember that game. Still have the CD somewhere...

It was fun for a once or twice game. Seemed like it lost replayability after the second round. Felt somewhat like the original Stronghold from the art direction, but with detailed control over the specific units instead of the castle buildings.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Ross has uncanny relentlessness. (bopin video is proof of that)

Seems like perfect candidate for Supaplex.

Boulderdash clone.

It is even free.

I bet they knew why they called it that way. ?

Edited by p-s-t (see edit history)

On 5/31/2020 at 12:54 PM, elloowd said:

Has anyone mentioned this obscure Polish game called Pył (Dust). It's a 3D FPS with stealth elements from 1999. I only found out about this recently and thought this would make prime game dungeon material.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/py

Gameplay footage:

Apparently it never had an international relase, but there is a working english fan translation made.

609347-pyl-windows-screenshot-target-locked.png

609343-pyl-windows-screenshot-the-flare.png

609340-pyl-windows-screenshot-the-scope.png

Holy shit, how do I play this.

Welp, time to throw my second group of suggestions into the mix.

Devo Presents The Adventures Of The Smart Patrol

Gameplay footage here.

Yes, that is the game's real name. No, I am not joking.

Smart Patrol is a bizarre first-person-point-and-click adventure game created by our devolved huboons at Devo. Published by InScape, who also published Bad Day On The Midway and The Dark Eye, this strange game revolves around you being a member of the Smart Patrol, a group that plans to rebel against Big Media. Additionally, a dangerous creature named Turkey Monkey roams the streets of Spudland! ... And that's all I managed to get. It's weird and chock-full of FMV goodness, including several music videos, a short rendition of "Mechanical Man" AND an original song entitled "That's What She Said"!

Bound Around

Gameplay footage here.

A unique breakout clone made for children. I remember playing the demo years ago on my Dad's good ol' all-in-one Mac.

It's a fine day in... Place? When suddenly, your family is kidnapped by evil insects!!! Now, it's up to you and your incredible bouncing skills to rescue your family! I don't remember what else happens, but there are some unique mechanics. You can still buy the game directly from the developer for only $10!

Piposh

Gameplay footage here.

Another Israeli game? In MY game dungeon? It's more likely than you think.

A comedic point-and-click game about a failed actor, Piposh, who attempts to make his way to Hollywood for fame and fortune via a cruise ship. Unfortunately, he's boarded the wrong ship. And there's a killer on the ship as well. Whoops.

I have no idea WHAT this game is about as all the information I can find is in Hebrew, and there's only so much Google Translate can do.

8 hours ago, Ferrite said:

Can we get a list of Ross' consoles. It would be a shame to suggest something he can't play.

I thought he was exclusive PC, but I could be wrong.

Burn the World!

15 hours ago, Ferrite said:

Can we get a list of Ross' consoles.

What kind of plebian peasantry is this?

7UoB02p.png

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

On 10/17/2020 at 4:33 PM, Ferrite said:

Can we get a list of Ross' consoles

pc-master-race.thumb.jpg.156c7a6d9a98ecefd03f7837c81c0289.jpg

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

Found a really good GAG recently Called Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch off of myabandonware its seems like something ross would be interested in and the art style is GREAT.

ringworld-revenge-of-the-patriarch_7.gif

Guimo

It's a brazilian platformer (it may not look like it since all text in the game is english). Just like many PC platformers at the time you navigate through the level to find a key to reach the level boss. What makes this one different though is the enemies. Instead of being stationary or move left-to-right like many platformers they move a lot through the map (they have set patrol routes and they even jump gaps).

You tacke the stages in any order you want Megaman-style. Just a warning, though: This game doesn't have a final "castle" after the main stages like Megaman, instead the final boss will spawn in one of main stages after you kill that stage's boss(es).

I would like to recommend a old Russian RPG called Night Watch based on the novels by Sergei Lukyanenko https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(Lukyanenko_novel) its really obscure. Some more info here. https://www.old-games.com/download/9627/night-watch

https://www.old-games.com/download/9627/night-watch