Game Dungeon Wish List

Tribes, Tribes 2, and tribes Vengeance. Granted my focus is on Tribes 2 since that's what i'm familiar with, but all of these are Online Shooters that take a bit to learn how to use, so I dunno what your interest level will be.

The reason being twofold. One: Hi-Rez (the current copyright owners) literally just went 'here are ISO's, Go Nuts. I mean they still clearly own the rights and likely want to generate interest for an upcoming game, but the point is they went and gave things away. Two, and this is the MORE IMPORTANT POINT, The fanbases have managed to revive downed master servers to make a franchise that is basically online only about as ragnarok proof as possible until you literally can't run the program or emulate windows to run it or whatever. Tribes 1 got an attempted re-release with newer drivers but got abandoned (but a copy got leaked), tribes 2 got a fan patch to get a new server up, and vengeance got hacked around with the revengeance version...

The point is these are games that the fans saved the franchise. Even if the numbers aren't there. It's still THERE and playable.

Plus the lore for the franchise, especially since effectively NONE of it shows up in game, is absolutely insane.

Tribes series is essentially the aftermath of the Earthsiege/Cyberstorm series... Same universe, different eras. I personally prefer the Earthsiege series, and wish they would make a new version of it. (Cyberstorm as well)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

O.T.

Also, I was wondering if you or anyone else knows this game, as I'm trying to find it, but with no luck: You are an archaelogist, trying to pass through a series of traps to escape a pyramid (or go to its core, not really sure). Your enemies include mostly mummies, but also other creatures that I don't remember. It's sort of a platformer puzzle game. The prevalent colour in the graphics was green. The graphics themselves are very simplistic, mostly straight lines, outlining figures against a black background. It was pretty old, I think a few years older than the Prince of Persia DOS game. If anyone has any idea what the title was, I'd appreciate it.

Could it be "Fred" (by Quicksilver)?

After the Dungeon Siege video, I strongly recommend that Ross checks out the Neverwinter Nights series as well. It has a few similarities to Dungeon Siege, and you usually don't have to play the games in order. Neverwinter Nights 2 in particular has a similar set up to Dungeon Siege: fun and easy combat, squad based fighting, no respawning enemies, detailed and extensive expansion packs, plenty of available mods and community levels (most of which are still readily available online) the works.

Neverwinter_Nights_cover.jpg

neverwinter-nights-2-win-cover-front-39240.jpg

Gothic 1 and 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_%28video_game%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_II:_Night_of_the_Raven

It's a pretty solid RPG for it's time. The sequel is a lot better though. But they dropped the ball in Gothic 3 and then the developers made Risen which was a spiritual sequel to Gothic 2.

It took six years to get a physics degree. Don't do what I did, try engineering or social studies.

I have one recommendation.

Eastern Mind The Lost Souls of Tong-Nou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyDwfeYaDIM

The plot goes like this: You lost your soul to the island of Tong-Nou (the green head thing) so you borrow your friend's soul and go get yours back.

It's made by the same guy that made the trippy Dream Emulator game for PS1, but this one is even more obscure.

I wouldn't call system shock an 'obscure' game franchise anymore so maybe not 'game dungeon' material but coul you do a video about the franchise due to the news about both a remake and a sequel? I really want your thoughts on both especially the legal hell they were in for a decade and change only to get saved and put back on sale PLUS system shock 2's engine update by a person/persons we literally do not know the name of.

I mean Newdark showed up on french language form by a guy known as the french word for 'The Raven.' I feel you talking about this, the game's controls and backstory, the whole 'techninja boondagle' thing with nightdive and your thoughts on the new material should be worth watching.

Anyone else want Ross to do this?

The nature of the last Game Dungeon episode remeinded me of a few other adventure/investigator/mystery/puzzle games from the past. Some are old and not very obscure, others are vaguely known or popular enough to be on my steam wishlist.

First one that came to mind was Nightlong - Union City Conspiracy. A cyberpunk themed point-and-click that I didn't finish the full version until years after its release.

sUjYw9n.png

mvuH14l.jpgX2LfQHO.gif

One of my favourites is Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars. I re-played this a number of times, even it it was simply for enjoying the environments/art and dialogue between the characters. I found it to be a pleasant game all round, and bought the directors cut off steam a while ago.

VhWuPqy.jpg

NnE2MhQ.jpg

hd4l6Bi.gif

DU0dMoI.jpg?1

Another game I liked for the cyberpunk atmosphere, but less for the story that was based on the Blade Runner game.

It's been a while since I played it, so my memory might be a bit foggy, but unless you're a huge Blade Runner fan, the replay value is pretty weak imo.

It does give the whole fandom a decent taste of what it's like to be in the Blade Runner world.

AeqOxzq.jpg

GUoUlGr.jpg

luooTap.jpg?1

I can't think of any other ones right now, so i'll leave with these three that are on my Steam wishlist:

Dreamfall Chapters - It's got a very good rating, and i've been meaning to get around to playing a good modern adventure game. Might not be for everyone though: "Dreamfall Chapters is an episodic story-driven adventure about choice and consequence, set in parallel worlds: a cyberpunk vision of the future and a magical fantasy realm."

K9lF5i7.jpg?1

SBZtIKN.jpg?1

VenAZZm.jpg?1

^ That game is a sequel to one that came before it- Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

And something that reminded me of Curse of Monkey's Island, The Longest Journey. Another point-and-click that came out in 2000, with also, apparently positive reviews.

tumblr_mar2rmBElV1rhsouzo1_500.gif

Honorable mention: Full Throttle

oxiNhEE.gif

Oh. I should probably follow up my post about Nitemare 3D with this caveat, since I'd forgotten about it: You'll need to jump into the config file (in your AppData/Local/DOSBox) and set the CPU cycles to a fixed number, since this game runs like a slideshow with auto. Probably for the same reason the Windows version does! I went with 10000, which is probably overkill but didn't cause me any problems, at least.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is a very unique game made by the team behind Ace Attorney. It was released in June of 2010 for the Nintendo DS, to a lot less reception than it deserved.

You play as a deceased man named Sissel on a quest to find out how he died using 'Ghost tricks'. Ghost tricks revolve around possessing an object and making it perform an action,usual allowing you to access territory you previously couldn't access. (Ex: Making a fridge door open to move further away, making a gun go off to distract cops, etc.)

The story is extremely well done compared to the majority of games in its' year of release. It introduces a large amount of characters with different stories and manages to resolve them all by the end. The twists are pretty good,too,but can be spoiled easily by a trip to google images.

The puzzles aren't too hard or easy generally ,and the music is pretty good.

It can be easily emulated using Desmume, but if you aren't about that life then you can get some of the cheap physical copies online.

I'd recommend that you make a game dungeon video about it so that you can introduce it to others that would probably go their entire life without ever hearing about this game.

Video version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usqdCphyM2o p.s- not made by me.

166362837_ghosttrickagain.jpg.4824f1dc43c2b773f08f5f36835c3036.jpg

628511510_ghosttrick.jpg.2f6739b57cd830d1f37ed2b9b6b343a6.jpg

I don't know if this will work for you but two things that come to mind immedietally are :

Gothic (the series, if preferable)

The Longest Journey (Again, the series, but the latest game is in chapters)

Both of these games would make for interesting conversations.

EDIT: Okay, somebody already suggested Dreamfall Chapters (The Longest Journey) so somebody probably already suggested Gothic. Sorry!

I'd like to submit a classic turn-based mech combat game:

MissionForce: Cyberstorm

Also suggested: Cyberstorm 2: Corporate wars. The Sequel that changed the way the game played completely, while greatly improving it at the same time.

C'mon, look at those titles. They mean absolutely nothing in that glorious way that mid-90's video game titles were wedged together from Nouns, Concepts and verbage.

In the game, you command a strike force of HERCs, in a taskforce created to fight the rogue creations of humanity: the Cybrids. Since Human lives are too precious to waste in something as minor as war, your soldiers are all "BioDerms", synthetic life forms mixed out of a slurry of genetic goo. Use 'em, abuse 'em, and shove 'em in the blender when you're done with them.

So since you have often talked about an approaching economic collapse and have eluded to how you feel the "average" person would fare in a post-apocalyptic world, I think you should try playing "The Long Dark". It's a really simple game, but one I think is fun, cheap, and that you could probably add something different to a review of the game than other YouTubers.

I'd like to submit a classic turn-based mech combat game:

MissionForce: Cyberstorm

Also suggested: Cyberstorm 2: Corporate wars. The Sequel that changed the way the game played completely, while greatly improving it at the same time.

C'mon, look at those titles. They mean absolutely nothing in that glorious way that mid-90's video game titles were wedged together from Nouns, Concepts and verbage.

In the game, you command a strike force of HERCs, in a taskforce created to fight the rogue creations of humanity: the Cybrids. Since Human lives are too precious to waste in something as minor as war, your soldiers are all "BioDerms", synthetic life forms mixed out of a slurry of genetic goo. Use 'em, abuse 'em, and shove 'em in the blender when you're done with them.

That makes it 2 votes for the Cyberstorm series.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

LISA: THE PAINFUL RPG

I already accidentally made a forum post about this. I apologize. Check that out for more details.

I was just wondering if anybody remembered playing or even heard of this rather forgotten title. Before I say anything about it, it might be worth having a peek at the games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-6O9CGSRs.

If you haven't turned off your computer and decided to live as an ascetic hermit, I can only assume something about it piqued your interest. From what I recall the game was a first person point n' click adventure, the kind with computer generated stereoscopic scenes and full motion video transitions between various parts of the game world. It takes place in a surreal otherworldly town in which you have been charged by some cosmic court to redeem various figures from history (who manifest as stylized ghostly masks) both ancient and modern, in order to stave off the coming millennial apocalypse - it was released in 1998, riding the much touted year 2000 "end times" shtick - all while the sinister clown-like antagonist Gar Hob (voiced by James Woods, no less) mocks humanities efforts and had vague conversations with a morally ambiguous character named Gemini Angel, a stripper who began receiving prophetic visions.

I love the themes and the story, but as a game it leaves a lot to be desired. The art direction by Gil Bruvel (worth googling if you like Fantasy art) gives it a ubiquitous look. The core of the game involves collecting primary coloured orbs, which then can be cast as is or mixed together to create various other coloured orbs. You use these orbs to redeem the various souls present on a particular level by working out which colour orb the individual is associated with, locating an artifact personally connected to the person, and then casting both the orb/s and associated item in special rooms relating to the seven deadly sins - which of course you have to work out by reading the individuals biography provided in the manual.

I've gone on long enough already, maybe someone will be interested... ;D

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I know this post will probably get lost, but... if you have a Game Dungeon suggestion that you think is good enough for community discussion + interaction, you don't have to put it here, you can create your own thread and I'd advise you do that. Only use this thread if you really have nothing else to say but "Try this game". That way, this thread won't be cluttered and it'll be easier to read.

Examples:

On this page... Woah_G's or Selfsurprises' post are worth a separate discussion - there's descriptions, details, and actually stuff for people to read and respond to.

On this page... Pizzaroni's or UndeadNecro's post can just be made as a single post in this thread.

Thank you!

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

On this page... Woah_G's or Selfsurprises' post are worth a separate discussion - there's descriptions, details, and actually stuff for people to read and respond to.

THANK GOODNESS I DELETED MY ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE READING THIS

;3 I'm only kidding, I don't really mind it being here. Hopefully someone will have heard of the game.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa