DRUGS: Use, abuse, information, disinformation and the law.

Sign in to follow this  

Standard limit to drinking age... Perfectly reasonable. All the same limitations that apply to alcohol... I've never hear a logical opinion to oppose that.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Standard limit to drinking age... Perfectly reasonable. All the same limitations that apply to alcohol... I've never hear a logical opinion to oppose that.

This.

"Life sucks sober!"

I think why drugs are a taboo and illegal is deeply rooted from the social and economic consequences of drug abuse. Think the Opium Wars as an example.

Although opium is known for its anesthetic and calming properties, it was widely consumed by Chinese laborers as recreational drugs. But because it is highly addictive, the economy shifted to opium consumption and this severely drained China's resources into the pockets of opium traders and producers. Of course, even worse poverty in the country. Back then those addicted to opium were not educated about its ill-effects, and the authorities (besides some being corrupt) were unaware of this problem due to lack of survey and knowledge.

Luis also covered some of the stupid ways drugs could be used.

Drugs derived from plants were originally considered medicine, or herbs if you like. Marijuana, poppy seeds etc. as we know have medicinal properties. Like fatty and sugary food, they should be consumed with care. When the state forbids drug usage (with the best intention of preventing drug abuse in mind), it can create a sense of taboo in society. Drugs used for well-being is therefore shunned. The best course to deter and prevent abuse is through intense and repetitive education using hard facts.

There's also the vice of drugs being "cool", "social acceptance", and the all-time favorite: "tripping and getting high", propagating in certain places. This might have stood from those with the intention to profit from drug abuse. (Duh.) Misinformation and unlawful sale and production of drugs should have been contained if the relevant authorities are competent.

Sign in Tip-Top Variety store window reads, 'Bitch-Slapped-By-The-Invisible-Hand-Of-The-Marketplace Sale'.

Approved.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.