FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 52

FM52.jpg

Blip.tv link

(download will be up later)

Here's the latest Freeman's Mind. I think this episode may set the record for the number of times Freeman has gone in and out of the water. There were sections of this level I didn't even remember, but I've actually only played through Half-Life twice before, and it was many years ago. From this point on, all I really remember up until Xen are swimming near a nuclear reactor, revolving teleporters, more scientists, and the teleportation chamber. I guess if you haven't played the game that's a bit of a spoiler, but I think the secret on that may be out by now.

I don't know if I'll get to another Freeman's Mind this month or not, but I have at least two more Game Dungeon episodes planned, so more videos are coming!

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

I registered just to say: the audio additions in this episode really clicked with me. I actually had a big grin on my face when Freeman slipped on the railing over the water. The water dripping effect, ears ringing, and of course the elevator music also sounded good. Kudos.

I love how when he found an elevator that actually works, his first reaction was stunned silence. It's the little things.

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

Awesome episode! Love that he's still commenting on oddities encountered during the playthrough, such as the soldiers having their backs towards him while the tank was pointing at him. Also, he made that section of the game look easy. I always had a difficult time with that section of the game. Guess that's because he has a doctor's degree and I don't. ;)

(Subtitles will be up later.)

Similarly, I've played through HL1 twice, but I don't remember the majority of the parts that you're going through! And the parts I do remember are all out of order! After this episode, all I remember is that long catwalk over the dam with the helicopter and another shark and that weird room with the spinning stars and the scientists (or have you already done that?). Also the landmine canyon with the things you fought back in the rocket test chamber. It's sort of coming back now. Does anyone know how far into the game he is?

Well, turns our Mr Notch himself is a fan of the Freeman

5RIjp.png

I don't know what "spinning stars" you're referring to.

Spinning stars probably being that weird autopsy room thing back in Questionable Ethics

Your blip TV link is pointing to Ep. 51
Ugh, I was out all day running errands, thanks for notifying me though, it's fixed now.

I registered just to say: the audio additions in this episode really clicked with me. I actually had a big grin on my face when Freeman slipped on the railing over the water. The water dripping effect, ears ringing, and of course the elevator music also sounded good. Kudos.
Otto's additional sound effects when Freeman was getting wedged against the gear is one of the few parts I was still able to laugh at in editing. Most of the time I burn out my ability to tell what's funny anymore the more I work with it. As for the elevator music, I was happy with an excuse to use another game soundtrack.

Well, turns our Mr Notch himself is a fan of the Freeman

Not much of a surprise as I think I remember him tweeting about it once.

Anyway, I guess it won't be long before we get to see how he handles that teleporting puzzle. Recording that part is probably going to be real fun with all the timing.

I love how when he found an elevator that actually works, his first reaction was stunned silence. It's the little things.

Not only that, but him thinking it was a trap was a nice touch.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Otto's additional sound effects when Freeman was getting wedged against the gear is one of the few parts I was still able to laugh at in editing. Most of the time I burn out my ability to tell what's funny anymore the more I work with it.
FWIW, the "Charlie Chaplin's cog" line cracked me up. It was completely unexpected and that made it twice as funny.

It's 4 in the morning, I've stayed up way too long and just when I'm about to go to bed I'm given YET ANOTHER excuse to stay up.

I know that feel, the fact that I have finals tomorrow doesn't help.

the name's riley

There were sections of this level I didn't even remember, but I've actually only played through Half-Life twice before, and it was many years ago. From this point on, all I really remember up until Xen are swimming near a nuclear reactor, revolving teleporters, more scientists, and the teleportation chamber.

Yeah, nothing from this episode or 51 seemed familiar to me either. Not even the Amnesia: the Dark Descent-esque alien cobwebs and disco balls full of snarks, which you'd think would be a more memorable setpiece. I have a more vivid memory of the Lambda Complex itself. Funnily enough, I was close to this spot in my current playthrough myself; it would have been a fun surprise if I hadn't picked this evening to get caught up on the series. :doh:

The series keeps on getting more and more funny Ross, and well I gotta thank you for creating this series, and with the Game Dungeon I cant wait to see more of it, I really want to see alot more content come from a genius like you Ross

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

First time posting and I just want to say that I loved this Episode. Especially the towards the end where freeman finds the Elevator and doubts that it isn't a trap. and it does feel like freeman might have taken the longest way possible through Black Mesa.

He's passed most of that already. I don't know what "spinning stars" you're referring to.

He's entering the Lambda Complex (a long confusing maze) that will eventually transport Freeman to Xen.

The spinning stars were at the part where he had to bring the scientists to the door to unlock it (specific, I know) - it was a room with a solar system model or something that was actually just a scientist blender you had to activate to move them out of the way? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was right before the room where you use the laser to blow up the wall so I think it's passed. It doesn't help that he isn't picking up the weapons he should have at this point, haha. Those were pretty much the biggest landmarks I can remember - has he gone by all the available weapons yet?

So he's on his way to the part with the reactor and the exploding catwalks - is that also the part with the giant fan?

And then after that, the portal rooms and then straight to zen? Man, I had no idea how close it was!

Yet another great episode. I noticed how you said you're getting burnt out Ross and that's understandable. I hope you still enjoy making these freeman episodes because we all absolutely love them and if anything, the quality per episode has increased. I do miss some of the witty reflections upon freeman's old roomates like Eddy and the cattleprod. But still, every episode is superbly done. Happy holidays in Poland!