FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 52

The funny thing about his longest way around Black Mesa comment is that according to Opposing Force, the area he got to just now with the tank was behind the Secure Access door at the end of the dam in the beginning of Surface Tension (next to the cannon).

/offtopic

Is there any reason to require a password with a mixture of character types here? I like having the ability to enter a crappy password for non-essential website accounts; though I entered a fairly crap one I wanted a crappier one.

He's passed most of that already. I don't know what "spinning stars" you're referring to.

He's entering the Lambda Complex (a long confusing maze) that will eventually transport Freeman to Xen.

The spinning stars were at the part where he had to bring the scientists to the door to unlock it (specific, I know) - it was a room with a solar system model or something that was actually just a scientist blender you had to activate to move them out of the way? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was right before the room where you use the laser to blow up the wall so I think it's passed. It doesn't help that he isn't picking up the weapons he should have at this point, haha. Those were pretty much the biggest landmarks I can remember - has he gone by all the available weapons yet?

So he's on his way to the part with the reactor and the exploding catwalks - is that also the part with the giant fan?

And then after that, the portal rooms and then straight to zen? Man, I had no idea how close it was!

The spinning "surgical unit" was already passed, so was the giant fan that blows you up to the ceiling, as well as the laser bolt into the wall.

He just has the long way to activate the two reactors (which require swimming through water) and traveling from one end of the complex to the other to do so, to activate the teleportation orbs and provide power to the Xen transport. There are a lot of big scenes here, from the gluon gun to the long jump module, to the bolts of electricity, to the nearly ceaseless number of agrunts, to more swimming, to the teleportation tower, before having to wait in the Xen teleporter room for the portal to Xen, then all of Xen.

Probably a good twenty more episodes left? I'm pegging the last episode to be Episode 75, but who knows? He might make it to Episode 100. ;)

I'm still wanting to see if Ross adds the "Get back here, you big orange fuck!" from Shephard's mind.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

I'm still wanting to see if Ross adds the "Get back here, you big orange fuck!" from Shephard's mind.

I was thinking that exact same thing.

the name's riley

The spinning "surgical unit" was already passed, so was the giant fan that blows you up to the ceiling, as well as the laser bolt into the wall.

He just has the long way to activate the two reactors (which require swimming through water) and traveling from one end of the complex to the other to do so, to activate the teleportation orbs and provide power to the Xen transport. There are a lot of big scenes here, from the gluon gun to the long jump module, to the bolts of electricity, to the nearly ceaseless number of agrunts, to more swimming, to the teleportation tower, before having to wait in the Xen teleporter room for the portal to Xen, then all of Xen.

Probably a good twenty more episodes left? I'm pegging the last episode to be Episode 75, but who knows? He might make it to Episode 100. ;)

What episode was the fan in, if you can recall? 75 sounds like a decent count to me - there's a great deal of just walking around in the reactor section if I remember correctly. Unless he cuts it short, which he might (probably like the fight before the xen portal), but I don't know!

What episode was the fan in, if you can recall?

Episode 17

I'm pretty sure the creator of Shepard's Mind asked Ross about that in a podcast to which Ross replied "maybe". I'll be super disappointed if he doesn't, though.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55tGNW3yZh8 Not sure exactly what time in the video he said that, since it's nearly 2 hours long, but if you wanna look, knock yourself out.

EDIT AGAIN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?start=984&v=55tGNW3yZh8

I registered just to say: the audio additions in this episode really clicked with me. I actually had a big grin on my face when Freeman slipped on the railing over the water. The water dripping effect, ears ringing, and of course the elevator music also sounded good. Kudos.

Thanks, that's a great compliment. I really liked the choice of elevator music, that was a great surprise when I saw the end.

I always think I'm gonna hear something like this when he reaches an elevator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVt_d6Utvzk

Most of the time I burn out my ability to tell what's funny anymore the more I work with it. As for the elevator music, I was happy with an excuse to use another game soundtrack.

Yeah, that's one of the things that makes comedy pretty hard to do. I'm sure I would already be making numerous

repeats of certain jokes by now, if I were doing this many episodes. I simply wouldn't be able to remember the ones

I've already done and the ones I've had circling in my head for ages. Do you have a document with every single line

in the series so you can search it make sure you're not duplicating? Otherwise I don't know how you do it.

There were sections of this level I didn't even remember, but I've actually only played through Half-Life twice before, and it was many years ago.
Similarly, I've played through HL1 twice, but I don't remember the majority of the parts that you're going through! And the parts I do remember are all out of order!

That's funny, I've actually played Half-Life a number of times and remember all of the game shown in Freeman's Mind,

EXCEPT just now when he jumps out of the water in the steam room and finds a door with a lock. I don't think I've

ever found that in my life, which is an incredible discovery for me.

Well, turns our Mr Notch himself is a fan of the Freeman

Yeah, he once mentioned that on his blog or twitter years ago and Ross expressed surprise that he'd be following it.

I'm pretty sure the creator of Shepard's Mind asked Ross about that in a podcast to which Ross replied "maybe". I'll be super disappointed if he doesn't, though.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55tGNW3yZh8 Not sure exactly what time in the video he said that, since it's nearly 2 hours long, but if you wanna look, knock yourself out.

EDIT AGAIN:

I remember that actually, I couldn't quite remember what the podcast was called though

EDIT:

EDIT AGAIN:

I remember that actually, I couldn't quite remember what the podcast was called though

I linked to it you silly-ass.

There were sections of this level I didn't even remember, but I've actually only played through Half-Life twice before, and it was many years ago.
Similarly, I've played through HL1 twice, but I don't remember the majority of the parts that you're going through! And the parts I do remember are all out of order!

That's funny, I've actually played Half-Life a number of times and remember all of the game shown in Freeman's Mind,

EXCEPT just now when he jumps out of the water in the steam room and finds a door with a lock. I don't think I've

ever found that in my life, which is an incredible discovery for me.

Same here, I was well surprised that I'd never seen that before. Also, as far as I can remember that is the only door with a padlock on it in the whole game. Unless I've missed many other such secret doors.

I also love how he goes back to get the other rockets once he blew up the tank. People never do that in films/series but always in games and it makes perfect sense. You never know when you need more RPGs and littering is bad.

Awesome episode again. Looking forward to the portal-puzzles and Xen!

Episode 53 is almost certainly the last episode in Forget About Freeman, with Lambda Core starting either towards the beginning of Episode 54 or towards the end of Episode 53.

Incidentally, is it just me, or have Freeman's weapons been a lot weaker lately? It's almost like Ross stopped boosting their damage for whatever reason. I liked it better before, personally, since it was a bit more realistic.

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

I remember that actually, I couldn't quite remember what the podcast was called though.

I linked to it you silly-ass.

Hence why I said "couldn't" as in "could not" instead of "can't" as in "can not". Past tense, mate. It makes the English language a lot more versatile. Albeit my syntax perhaps wasn't as neat as it could've been.