ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: ZANY GOLF

Any company that puts microtransactions in any game and sacrifices quality to make the microtransactions sell better is... well maybe not "evil" in the strictest sense, but definitely a neglectful bag of dicks that screws more customers than a brothel during fleet week.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

EA shut down Westwood studios, then proceeded to make horrible C&C sequels.

Ubisoft bought Massive Entertainment, my favorite RTS developer, proceeded to have them make a weird mmo-rpg-action game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_j9uKBmUEk

I don't know which is worse.

We'll see when Division comes out I suppose.

definetly EA

about c&c- games from tiberian sun to tiberium wars (so, 3 games as RA2 came out as well, not including expansions and also the renegade (fps, which also was rather fun tbh)) were actually rather good and they all were developed under EA (well, technically speaking, westwood developed ra2 and ts, but they belonged under EA already). Tiberium wars has also spawned few of my favourite mods, such as tiberium essence. but tiberium twilight and ra3 and generals? these are not c&c, but generic, moronic (sorry for swearing) rts games that have been slapped c&c logo on in hopes of more sales.

and yes, i dont consider generals as c&c because well, its not. only thing it has common with c&c titles is the logo. Its like painting bowling ball as football (of course real, european one not handegg). you can claim its football because well, it has looks of football, but try to play with it and you break your leg (in good case). Its same logic behind EA and c&c.

well, one good thing about EA though- they released tiberian dawn, red alert and tiberian sun+ battlefield 1942 for free, so i give them that. Overall, they have been acting very user-UNfriendly.

Now, you compared EA to ubisoft. While i am no hardcore ubisoft fanboy who buys every single new ubisoft game (tho i do enjoy splinter cell (older versions) and assassin's creed a lot), ubisoft is too good for that comparison. I mean, just buying your favourite game company doesnt make them evil. What does make company evil, is that if they try to brand something generic as part of long running series. again, not case of ubisoft.

PS! my favourite game companies are in fact rockstar and lately, valve

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Lately, every time I think about evil companies, corporations and heartless, greedy people owning billions and stealing even more from innocent people, I remember this scene from "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"

93UvtRCPm_M

And I like to think this is what awaits all these greedy people rotten to the core and maybe even some assholes too :lol::twisted::mrgreen:

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

PS! my favourite game companies are in fact rockstar and lately, valve

On the subject of good guy devs/publishers Devolver Digital is a wonderful company. They have sales and giveaways on the regular and even promote good games that are completely unaffiliated with them. You should follow them on Twitter, and that's not something I say often.

Nice episode as always.

A quick question though. Ross, have you played the MOTHER games and if you had, what's your opinion about them?

Nyao nyao~ 子猫は幸せです

Hey, Farmers. Would you like to see where the Subtitling Magic happens? I decided to take a photo as I was working on the subtitles for RGD Zany Golf, just in case anyone was curious as to what it looks like.

Enjoy!

Hey, Farmers. Would you like to see where the Subtitling Magic happens? I decided to take a photo as I was working on the subtitles for RGD Zany Golf, just in case anyone was curious as to what it looks like.

Enjoy!

Full Pro! :)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Since I'm leaving for Lithuania soon, I guess this is as good of a time as any to wish you all a merry and jolly New year's eve and a joyful New year!

I fell into a pit I can't get out of. Now in order to survive I've turned in to Pacman and I'm eating old Mentos. Keep dropping em on the ground kids!

Hi Ross. I'm a big fan of your work.

I just watched all your game dungeon videos and although I'm not into this kind of gaming, I liked the series because they highlight how big franchises of big companies suffocated some nice features and ideas. Mainstream games like the so many times mentioned COD started with a good set of features but then turned into games that wouldn't stand out:

When you try to make something to be liked by as many as possible, most of its features will be blunt in order to satisfy as many as possible. COD is like the democracy of games.

With your videos you showcase some very nice features older games had. On this philosophy, you could review another series of great games that marked a genre: Freespace & Freespace 2. These are the definition of "space simulator" as acclaimed by many. You can find FS2 on GoG for a few bucks. I could go on and describe them to you but that is eventually your job... :P

Also, there is that old super buggy but awesome in my opinion game called "Bounty Hunter". You travel around in a flying car shooting down bandits. Would be really fun if you could manage to make it work and review it.

Now I'm going to shut up cause I'll start suggesting too many games. :D

Thanks for the videos Ross!

Also, on a side note, I've been lurking around this forum for years. :roll:

I honestly agreed with the architecture point. I sometimes look at the more extravagant minigolf courses and kinda wish that kind of weirdness was present in more places.

I used to play the Apple version... Loved the music. Hated the die and restart the game from the beginning part. You should look into getting one of the older Apple emulators. (I lost the one I used, but it was a perfect emulator)

Well I'm mostly focusing on low-res games right now, because I don't have enough faith in my system to do real-time recording at higher resolutions. I think the main thing I need is a SSD for that, once I have one I plan to expand into later games as well.

If you have a higher amount of RAM in your system, you might want to try using a RAMdisk. (emulating an SSD by using system RAM, then copy from the temporary RAMdisk to your HDD)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Just watched a Nerd³ video about what EA was doing with the mobile version of Dungeon Keeper. Maybe not "evil" like what Ross is talking about, but it's certainly greedy to the point of being detrimental to the game and downright insulting to the players. The "microtransactions" are priced ridiculously high, and some blocks can't be dug out for 24 hours. You could skip that using gems (which you have to buy, of course), and I think the math figured out to about 70 British pounds for 56 of those blocks and that was the "Best Value". It baffles me that not only do they think people are that stupid, but more so that SOME PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY THAT STUPID! Why the hell do people keep buying this shit? I could literally set fire to my money and get better value than that. If anyone has a course of action that might prevent stuff like this from happening, I'm all ears.

If you have a higher amount of RAM in your system, you might want to try using a RAMdisk. (emulating an SSD by using system RAM, then copy from the temporary RAMdisk to your HDD)
Ha ha, well that would definitely be fast enough, but I only have 8GB, but even if I had 16, it would burn through that very fast. Part of the issue is I may be aiming higher than I should for the visual quality as I've been recording in RGB lossless compression. Now while Youtube is of course YUV lossy compression, I have noticed a difference in color quality making the RGB conversion the final step in the process v. recording from the source in YUV. Keeping everything in RGB (like the source) until the very end definitely helps with the color. That unfortunately means more data has to be recorded in order to preserve it. 1920x1080 at 30fps with CD quality audio comes to about 188MB/s uncompressed. Now with Fraps it would probably only be about 60% of that with no quality loss (dxtory allows better lagarith compression, but dxtory doesn't always work properly on games that use AA), but that's still a lot of data to be grabbing in realtime.

You could always record at 720p instead of 1080p... Save about 50% of the space...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

You could always record at 720p instead of 1080p... Save about 50% of the space...
Ah, the Xbox One solution huh?

This episode reminded me of two other games: Minigolf Deluxe and Hamsterball. xD Would be fun to see what Ross has to say about these

People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.