FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 54

"We need to nuke this place once I get out"

Did I detect a vague Opposing Force reference here?

For that matter, when it finally comes down to the actual teleportation chamber, I hope Ross makes a nod to Shepard's mind....

"Hey GET BACK HERE YOU BIG ORANGE FUCK!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?start=172&v=5_f-Ha-_upM

Yea Ross you gotta get KrimsinYT to send you that voice bit.

Gordon Freeman: 4:15

“This is bullshit, we need to nuke this whole place as soon as I’m out!”

Adrian Shephard: Shephard's Mind Episode 23 11:44

“So… there it is… an actual… nuclear warhead…”

But yeah hearing Shephard as Freeman jumps into the teleport would be really cool.

I voted Freeman's Mind, but RGD is awesome too. Alternating might be a nice idea, or 2 of 1 and 1 of the other. As someone else said, do what you need to do to keep afloat and making vids. :)

Ross, you mentioned youtube screwing you over on income. I was just wondering, have you considered using something like Patreon? A lot of indie Youtube folks seem to be doing well with it.

I mean, as relatively high-profile as your falling out with Machinima was, you might have some luck getting support through that. It might help. Just a thought.

I voted for Civil Protection. but this is really a legitimate answer. It would be very nice to know how Mike and Dave are doing.

Great episode as always Ross, I think at this rate we might get to Xen by Episode 82!

What crack are you smoking? That's 28 episodes from now. He's already at the beginning of Lambda Core. At the rate he's going, he'll be at Xen in 15 episodes or less. Any way, I don't mind if a Game Dungeon video or Freeman's Mind (or CP for that matter), as long as it's good (which is practically a given).

Whatever you really, REALLY want to do is what I really REALLY want to see. So, I'm going Swiss Neutral on this one. I don't have a favorite or preferred video because I enjoy everything you produce. So, whatever you prefer Ross. Go fer it!

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

Well, I expected this vote to go massively towards FM, so I went for Civil Protection instead. Someone must support the underdog, right?

I did the same, but I really meant it as a neutral vote. Work on Game Dungeon if it's easier, and take a break from FM.

Ninjas and shotguns is actually the theme I'm planning for my wedding (;

So women ninjas jumping at people actually is kind of Valentine-ish, if it's a wedding theme.

Remember when we thought google was the good guy of the internet?

Nope, I never actually thought they were that good, although they were certainly more innocent years ago than they are now.

Ross, you mentioned youtube screwing you over on income. I was just wondering, have you considered using something like Patreon? A lot of indie Youtube folks seem to be doing well with it.

Hmm, I'm surprised at how few sites I even know about that could compete with YouTube. I found this thread interesting:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.838227-Alternatives-to-YouTube

"I haven't seen any viable alternatives to Youtube, despite how badly we need one."

"There are only a few companies who have the service capabilities to make something that could rival youtube."

Man, companies like Google depress me. I almost feel like we're going in reverse with the big hosting leaders of the internet

because of how much control they're looking to have and how big they want to be. I don't know, maybe I just don't like their

focus on smart phones and apps and the like over their service on PC's. I'm losing hope for my own content if everything keeps up.

I voted for Freeman's mind mostly because my days are pretty dark and glum and it cheers me up. But I do love seeing old games I've never seen before.

It turns out all the games I played in my childhood are actually really popular... so it's nice to see obscure games that no one else knows about. (must be because I like so close to seattle lol darn hipsters rubbing off on me :P)

:/ idk on my stance with google... They seem like a really cool company in everything but youtube... sure google+ is annoying but youtube is the only part of the company that's shoving it on us... although I didn't really care the switch to google+ since I had a google account already for all the other free stuff. They've saved my ass many times with google drive lol. and all I did was change my username on the google+ thingie... haven't even touched it since lol.

I feel like google probably isn't all one company ya know. and the people who used to run youtube probably weren't fired and replaced since they knew how to run it best in a sense... and that those people have bad policies... But really I'm in no place to know anything.

Wait... You're all saying the world is still going? I definitely remember it ending at some point... I'd say a little over a year ago to my recollection. This is just purgatory, and I have to repent for the sins I need to commit.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

How long does it usually take the Blip to finish putting on it's makeup? Blip says the vid has been uploaded, but is "not ready" (whatever that means).

I'd watch the Youtube one, but Youtube on my end has finally succumbed to Google's persistent efforts to render it useless. Movies load slower than my connection speed (which isn't that slow, but Youtube's great bloody stack of scripted junk features keeps interrupting the process), and they don't buffer, so the only way to watch stuff there is in sporadic handfuls of seconds. Used to be I could just use a flash downloader to grab it and watch that way, but now it appears the audio is separated from the video so doing that only gets me a silent movie. And the only plugin to fix Youtube's crap has been completely busted for months.

Please tell me blip isn't becoming more clunky.

I sit through the housewives ads, and swat away the graphics that roll over the video. If they're instituting some asinine "waiting period" for videos, I just, I dunno.

I disable adblock for FM, and I watch it on blip to keep those youtube dickbags from getting paid, but like the infomercials say... "There's got to be a better way!"

I'd say get to Xen first, then put FM on hold, cause if you wait til you finish FM, that could take some time, seeing as Freeman could easily get lost in Xen, and he could become crazy-ier while there. Anywho, get to Xen, then work on RGD for a while. In other news, if you were to make FM t-shirts, some ideas (from this episode) :

(Some quotes might not be verbatim.)

* "What are you complaining about? You have a helmet!"

* Schrodinger's Ninja: They're are and are not in the same room with you. (This could be tweaked a bit)

* "That's your problem now!" (with a picture of someone running out of a room)

* "We need to nuke this room when I leave."

* (picture of a crime scene) "I'm no expert, but I think we can rule out nosebleed"

* (Picture of someone lifting weights) "I'm starting to think your species only communicates through a series of body lifts and squat thrusts."

* "Death can be a learning experience"

and

* (picture of blood on t-shirt) "Yeah this blood is not coming off..."

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Well, the ninjas are the only girls in the original Half-Life, except for the Hazard Course hologram... :D

Which makes me wonder why Freeman didn't notice the ONLY females he'll ever encounter being female. TWICE.

I really don't get what the hell is going on with Youtube. Even the frontend is going weird, and I'm not griping about the interface. Now when I hit the back button on my browser while a video is playing, the video's audio keeps playing. And this is on Chrome, which you'd think would be BFFs with Youtube. (Yeah, yeah, Google is a big company, the product teams are different and we can't expect them to be perfectly coordinated, whatever). I've also been getting really spotty performance, where sometimes videos just don't want to buffer for a day or so. Just random videos, it's not consistent, it has nothing to do with the channel the video is on, the length, or anything else. Other videos on the site will be fine while others fail to load.

Sometimes I wonder if they have this giant team of paid engineers hired to work on Youtube and so they just make them do what is effectively busywork to justify the salary. That doesn't mean I know Youtube was perfect in 2008 or whatever and didn't need any changes, I'm sure there were plenty of backend problems none of us were aware of. I just seriously wonder if a lot of the more recent problems are stemming from "idle hands are the devil's playthings" type phenomena.

Anyway, I voted for more Game Dungeon. It's a really great series, even if I don't always agree with Ross' rant in each episode, it at least gives something to think about. I love Freeman's Mind, and I want to see it finished (and, hell, I even would like Freeman's Mind 2 for HL2), but I really like seeing what Ross thinks about various obscure old games. I also like the format so much more than a lot of other video game shows, which tend to be overly obsessed with ragging on old bad games. It gets a bit samey. I find the Game Dungeon's focus on analysis and fair breakdown of the pros and cons of the games to be really refreshing.

I would like to see new CP episode, but for now- Freeman!

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"