FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 54

Ok, I'll be honest here: I open the blog expecting a new RGD. Yeah. I want them alternated, 1 on 1. I'll even go with 2 RGD per 1 FM.

Not that I don't love FM, like everyone... but knowing that FM takes a lot of time, it's better to have a RGD in the meantime. Besides I love those weird games!

Edit: I began to feel melancholic when the scientist started talking about the teleporters... We're so close to the end... all this years... :'(

Ross, you mentioned youtube screwing you over on income. I was just wondering, have you considered using something like Patreon? A lot of indie Youtube folks seem to be doing well with it.
Maybe, although I really hate the idea of holding the episodes hostage for money. Believe it or not, exploiting my fanbase for income is NOT one of my goals (unless they're loaded).

Hmm, I'm surprised at how few sites I even know about that could compete with YouTube.
They have a de facto monopoly on video streaming, I thought I read before it's about 70% of all free streaming video. Makes it hard for alternatives.

:/ idk on my stance with google...
Old Google is very different from modern Google. I recommend reading #1 of this article to get a better picture of what's happening.

I really don't get what the hell is going on with Youtube. Even the frontend is going weird
Yeah it makes no damn sense. Like Windows 8, there are quantifiable flaws with their new design. "Inbox" used to take ONE click and ONE page load. Now it takes FOUR of each. To turn off annotations, that used to take 1 click, now it takes 2. Increasing the resolution used to take 2 clicks, now it takes 3. What this says to me is one of the largest companies in the world can freely ignore fundamentals of good UI design. It must be maddening to people who have degrees in that sort of thing.

You can expect ninjas but you can't expect my subtitles!
Thanks, glad to see you got Ettore Majorana right. BTW no one can disprove he wasn't killed by ninjas at sea.

''So, while I plan to go with the majority rule, if Youtube siphons off enough views from FM so they’re both equal, I may just do more RGD instead, since I can produce it faster and it’s a little more fun for me to make.''

I voted Game Dungeon, though I insanely want to see more FM. You know why? Cause it's ROSS life, not mine.

Cheers.

Thanks, glad to see you got Ettore Majorana right.

Heh. I actually had to look it up because I had no idea who you were talking about. I did a search for "physicist friends with heisenberg" and found the name that sounded as close as I can get to what you said. Glad I was right. :)

That is the type of research I expect more subtitle writers to imitate from you, Daniel. Thanks a lot for your effort!

Heh. I actually had to look it up because I had no idea who you were talking about. I did a search for "physicist friends with heisenberg" and found the name that sounded as close as I can get to what you said. Glad I was right. :)

Glad to see that at least one subtitler in this world knows how to do them right!

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I'm actually a theoretical physicist and I use Majorana spinors everyday :geek: . I loved the reference to him! :lol: Btw Ross, if you need any kind of technical reference or explanation just ask. I will be more than glad to talk to you!

I can only imagine how many sites related to Breaking Bad you found.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

On your ongoing view count/ad revenue problems. Have you considered using Subabble? I think you meet all the criteria (though obviously there's no guarantee you'll get accepted). It allows you to have people give you what amounts to paid subscriptions, but the exact amount is optional and nobody is forced to pay. You're still allowed to get ad revenue on top of Subabble income. The videos would still be hosted on Youtube/Blip, so there's no major changeups in your workflow.

The only downside is that you have to offer "perks" that people can redeem after they've given you enough money. They tend to be things like signed posters and stuff like that, but they can also be things like early access to videos or access to a "subscriber night" of some multiplayer game or whatever else. You'd be responsible for fulfilling those requests in a timely manner blah blah blah, I don't know if that would add too much to your workload.

Won't lie, i was hoping people would vote for another game dungeon, but i guess the thirst for freeman can't be quenched

Or for the world having ended at a previous date...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Loved the episode. Occam's Shuriken is probably the best line to come out of this series. Definitely did not expect that ending.

I voted for RGD for variety's sake.

Sometimes Ross, Id like to do one thing, and would love your help: BURN MACHINIMAS OFFICE TO THE FUCKING GROUND!

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Great episode as always Ross! << The most overused comment on this forum i guess lol.

P.S. I can't wait for Episode 55! Can the next episode be 10 minutes longer please?

@Ross - regarding the Blip.tv thing.

From my past experience with Vimeo this "wait, the video is not ready yet" message means the internal conversion has failed and it's pointless to wait for it to get fixed - it just won't happen. The only solution is to delete the failed video and re-upload again.

The reason for failure could be a non-standard frame rate, frame size of the video *or* the audio parameters (sampling rate, bitrate) which their back-end does not expect. For example, Vimeo will invariably choke if I would upload an SD video with 48kHz audio because it wants only 44.1kHz audio with SD...

Check if you changed any A/V encoding parameters compared with the previous uploads and I'm sure you will find the problem.

Regards

I should really work on posting more often, I don't like coming and going, I just like coming all together... Oh...

Aside from that, the video was really fast paced and to the point, the humor was rather pleasant and very consistent. The fun never stops when I keep coming back.

sexual humor is my fortè

I just... I don't even...

@Ross - regarding the Blip.tv thing.

From my past experience with Vimeo this "wait, the video is not ready yet" message means the internal conversion has failed and it's pointless to wait for it to get fixed - it just won't happen. The only solution is to delete the failed video and re-upload again.

The reason for failure could be a non-standard frame rate, frame size of the video *or* the audio parameters (sampling rate, bitrate) which their back-end does not expect. For example, Vimeo will invariably choke if I would upload an SD video with 48kHz audio because it wants only 44.1kHz audio with SD...

Check if you changed any A/V encoding parameters compared with the previous uploads and I'm sure you will find the problem.

Regards

No, I'm ahead of you on this unfortunately. Blip supports re-uploading media to the same URL created, so I did that, no luck, same problem. As for the settings, these are the exact same settings I've used for the last 50+ episodes uploaded to blip, so that's a dead end there too (and I'm already using 441.khz for the audio). I think something changed on blip's end. I'll look into it some more later.

I voted for another Ross' Gaming Dungeon. I really like that series, and it's been a while.