Help Make Freeman's Mind HD!

I don't know how many people would agree with me, but I've never been in a rush for the Freeman's mind episodes and I've always been happy to wait but considering what a long and arduous task it must've been for Ross to go step by step through the game with this process from day one and to still be making them to the quality he does shows amazing commitment from Ross, but that said, I bet there's a part of him that really wants to motor through and get to a conclusion to what is really a massive body of work now. It must feel like a never ending project at times.

Hopefully the support everyone has shown by raising the money just goes to show that it's been worth it!

Myself, I'm looking forward to more game dungeon! Perfect blend of humour and nostalgia.

Keep it up Ross!

I agree completely with you - it's amazing that after all this time he can still do Freeman's Mind with the same dedication (if not more) as in the beginning. In this Internet Era there are a lot of people with talent that start interesting (sometimes amazing) projects but lose interest after a short while, let alone finish them.

I also agree with RGD which got me hooked since episode 1 - I was like "yes, Tyrian is a great game, why don't more people know and talk about it?". I do want to see more of those, it's nice to see other people interested in those "old school" games. Those were true games in the sense that you wouldn't talk about realism, you would only talk about the _game_ part. An analogy would be some kids playing with sticks and complaining that they don't represent swords very well instead of focusing on their game and its rules (if any).

Anyway, I'm not going to go too much off topic with that idea. Since this is my first post here, I want to end with congratulating Ross on his work and this fund raiser. I wouldn't consider this payment for work to come but rather for what you already created and gave to the fans and community.

So, I wish you all the best to Ross and everyone here, you all seem like good people

I've just donated 22.01 USD. This is the amount I spend for lunch in a week at a local diner. Don't worry, this doesn't mean I'll skip the next five lunch times in the next week. I have a decent salary ;).

Oh, and that would be awesome if you could arrange some kind of meetup in Europe too.

Anyways greetings from Hungary!

"It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others, and believing in your own."

Congrats Ross, you deserve it, just like DasBoschitt deserverd money for a new rig.

I gave a few bucks to both of you because you guys bring so much fun and joy into my daily internet life ;)

Anyway until I come up with an idea for a line request, I hope for a new game dungeon episode.

Those are really great! Weird, obscure games from a time when I started playing on Amiga and PC, and never heard of.

Love it!

Also your donation vid is awesome, especially the ending (music, voice and text).

Keep up the good work! :)

Finally, with all the beans and onions consumed in your household, I fear for the gas levels and your health - please be careful with open flames will you? ;)

so... this is probably a good opportunity to once again try to direct Ross' attention towards the awesome idea of Flattr.com, which is basically a monthly budget to spend on stuff you like on the web. Flattr-buttons work similar to Facebook likes with the additional effect of granting a share of the budget of the person who clicked. And Flattr even allows to attach clicks to content where the creators didn't sign up yet. Look, there are already 12 clicks for chilledsanity YouTube Videos (probably most of them by me) https://flattr.com/thing/2771065/Help-Make-Freemans-Mind-HD.

Flattr is quite popular among European creators, especially in Germany.

Ooh that looks interesting. Not sure that I like that it would take every video you like on youtube. There's stuff I like on youtube, but not enough to donate to, even micro stuff.

Well, the automatic donations to videos you like is optional. There are browser extensions for Flattr which allow you to donate independently of likes which is very useful since many videos on youtube are not uploaded by their original creators but other people who I don't want to donate money.

Welp seeing as I've been a fan of Ross since the beginning back in like 06 I decided to contribute 100 as a thanks for all the years of dedication and enjoyment I had. Its the least I can do

"Fat People Not Good"

Just chipped in a few bucks myself. Ross: I've been using the internet as a source of entertainment for many many years (I started in '94, so I'm actually in year 20 now!). Been reading all sorts of webcomics, following video channels, blogs, feeds and whatnot.

I quite seriously have to say that, given all my experience, the entertainment value I drew out of FM ranks easily in the top5. This may have to do with the fact that I'm a huge fan of HL and I'm into science, but most importantly your unique sense of humour just hits the right spot for me. Now, your fundraiser made me aware of how much fun I got without ever paying back a dime for it. Which is fine as long as the business model works out. But reading about your struggle with money made me feel so sorry and somehow selfish that I never gave back anything which I could so easily do.

I really hope this money will help you sustain yourself for a longer time. You have a unique talent that is better not wasted with some random job you only do to pay your bills. You have a good critical mass of fands behind you that would rather see you make more videos and other cool stuff and are willing to help.

If you're running low again don't hesitate to let us know. I'm sure many of us spend money on lots of useless things (at least I do), giving it to you feels much more useful. All the best!

If you're running low again don't hesitate to let us know. I'm sure many of us spend money on lots of useless things (at least I do), giving it to you feels much more useful. All the best!

Very much this. It'll be good for those of us who weren't able to donate this time around but may be in a better situation next time. I've been following Freeman's Mind for probably about 2 years, myself and I'm looking forward to plenty more. Hopefully Half-Life will come to some sort of conclusion by the time you catch up with them all (assuming you continue into and through Half-Life 2).

Very much this. It'll be good for those of us who weren't able to donate this time around but may be in a better situation next time. I've been following Freeman's Mind for probably about 2 years, myself and I'm looking forward to plenty more. Hopefully Half-Life will come to some sort of conclusion by the time you catch up with them all (assuming you continue into and through Half-Life 2).

You can donate any time, the event was asking for enough for a specific computer component rather than the typical "money for food" donations.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

It's definitely slower than realtime, also single-threaded.

Hmm, I wonder if you could rig up some pseudo-multithreading by running three instances of the program with higher priority, and having each work on a third of the footage (leaving one core free for running the OS and such, of course).

You can donate any time, the event was asking for enough for a specific computer component rather than the typical "money for food" donations.

Yeah but it's so much more fun for him to get tons of money all at once rather than the occasional donation here or there. :P I like being able to see that number rise as a bunch of fans come together to support their ruthless most beloved leader.

I agree completely with you - it's amazing that after all this time he can still do Freeman's Mind with the same dedication (if not more) as in the beginning. In this Internet Era there are a lot of people with talent that start interesting (sometimes amazing) projects but lose interest after a short while, let alone finish them.
Well I'll be honest, it's mostly fan loyalty keeping me going on Freeman's Mind, otherwise I might prefer doing other videos.

I've just donated 22.01 USD.
I gave a few bucks to both of you because you guys bring so much fun and joy into my daily internet life
Thanks a bunch, you'll probably get an email later too.
Welp seeing as I've been a fan of Ross since the beginning back in like 06 I decided to contribute 100 as a thanks for all the years of dedication and enjoyment I had. Its the least I can do
Wow, thanks a ton, I'm always amazed by donations on this level.

Now, your fundraiser made me aware of how much fun I got without ever paying back a dime for it. Which is fine as long as the business model works out. But reading about your struggle with money made me feel so sorry and somehow selfish that I never gave back anything which I could so easily do.
Well I definitely don't take that outlook, I mean I never would have considered this a realistic way to earn income as it is. It's more like a magic carpet I'm trying to ride as long as I can. I certainly don't feel like people OWE it to me (unless you're selling bootleg copies or something).

Oh, can I sell bootleg copies and then give all the money to you?

JK

Oh, can I sell bootleg copies and then give all the money to you?

JK

American copyright law is confusing but I think you would have to give money from selling Feeman's Mind episodes to Valve.

I dunno.

Then I guess I'd be a licensed retailer then if Ross Ok'd it...

But Ross can't OK it because of Valve owning so much of the content, or something like that.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/videopolicy.html

Use of our content in videos must be non-commercial. By that we mean you can't charge users to view or access your videos. You also can't sell or license your videos to others for a payment of any kind.

I guess "making dvds and selling them" counts under that.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.