Help Make Freeman's Mind HD!

I'd say this turned out rather well! Sadly the best I can do to help is simply watch his videos and let the adverts play.

Finally an excuse to donate!

I regret it's only $10, I'm just a grad student. But I've been a viewer since the second CP episode, and your work has brought me many laughs over the years. Only now though did you finally demonstrate the painfully slow filming process that you've alluded to in past posts; sorry you had to deal with that.

Also, Mr. Scott: Hope you enjoy Poland, I'm hoping you've been able to visit Gdansk by now!

I am dumbstruck! How long has it been since ross posted this? Three days!!? And he's already at $13,000!!!! !!!aenkfhlsgjfufgbkdgbkvyiwdtvadelfn!!! My brain is malfunctioning. Ross, i think you just broke the world record.

"The only real answer is to get drunk and set fire to things"

So as we know he offered to voice a line for donation of $10 or more, at 13600 dollars that could come out to 1360 line assuming it takes him 3 min to read an email record a line and send it it would take 4080 min to do all of that or 68 hours and at 8 hours a day that would take him 9 days to record and send all those lines. So in short I have to ask is the line request thing still legit?

20 bucks is the least I can do for funding The One Free Man and his Polish farm of internet awesome. Hope you get to work on one of those projects you've had in mind for years now with the cash coming in.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Hmm, maybe I should move to Poland.

Is there an easy way to become a Polish citizen?

It took six years to get a physics degree. Don't do what I did, try engineering or social studies.

I threw in $5.00 USD. I knew a Polish guy as an undergrad who told me you can live like a king in Eastern Europe for comparatively little, so I expect Ross to start making his own nation state.

I wonder if the Minecraft guy threw some in, seeing as he's a fan.

My little gaming blog

https://corktowngaming.wordpress.com

Hmm, maybe I should move to Poland.

Is there an easy way to become a Polish citizen?

Well, there's only legal way or illegal way:P

There's lots of paper work. And you get to go for an interview with a clerk (you need a translator if you don't speak Polish ;)) You can expect a visit of border guard officers at a place you show as your staying place. So they just make sure you are you and you do what you said you do. And you need to make some payments for the Foreigner's Office. There's more stuff...

BUT that's if you are from outside EU. If you're from European Union, it's easier. I only know procedures for non EU citizens ;p And I've heard that Warsaw (the capital city) is not a good place to ask for stay permits because EVERYBODY go to Warsaw.

If you are form outside EU, you can stay in Poland up to 3 months without a visa or a stay permit. I've been going through this subject so many times...:P

Hey but if you're a famous musician, sportsman or a scientis, i'm sure they make it a bit easier on you! 8-):D8-)

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I would consider it, but it'd cost too much to import my guns...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Sorry, I can't really donate cash right now (thanks, tuition) :oops: . I've got a couple thousand spare Doge floating around, if you've got a wallet for it.
Sure, I'll take those, I've been meaning to set up a wallet soon for that (and accept bitcoin donations). Another user contacted me about Dogecoin already.

About how long does your method of motion blur take to process? (Assuming it's not GPU accelerated.) If it's capable of compositing it into 30Hz video at the same speed/faster than the demo can render the raw frames, it might be possible to avoid having to store the absurdly gigantuan raw footage in the first place. You might be able to to add some extra memory and set up a RAMdisk,* have the demo recorder save in 1-2GB chunks to the virtual disk, and have your script process them as they come in, and save the finished files to storage.
It's definitely slower than realtime, also single-threaded. Actually what your describing is what srcdemo2 does, although their method is more primitive than mine, but it DOES remove the load on the hard drive and put it on the CPU instead. I'm still experimenting with that. Also the speed may be not much of an issue as Source will wait on rendering the next frame until the first one is recorded, so it will wait on something external to process it if coded right, so no lost frames. Also the avisynth method I'm using is CPU based, doesn't touch the GPU.

I was actually thinking about this as well. I've been working with OpenCV a lot lately. If Ross would like to try, I'd be willing to write a simple app that would process the video in real time from a socket or the ramdisk. I don't know whether I could write it to leverage the graphics card you have as I don't have access to anything CUDA capable myself, but I could try. There's a whole lot of possibilities. Something might just work even for 1080p, it's not THAT much of a resolution. I am currently doing something something similar where a camera is writing 300+ fps (lower resolution though) MOV videos onto a ramdisk mounted as an NFS drive in 1 second chunks and even a fairly slow machine is capable of some heavy processing on the fly when written just right. Of course, you're giving up the freedom of having 180 fps to work with in post processing, but it may be something to think about.
Check out srcdemo2, it's open source, maybe you can take something from it and combine it with my avisynth method for the best of both worlds.

Do you have demo files for ANY of the older episodes?
Yes, but sometimes I make stealth splices of footage when I screw up one section, then continue elsewhere (EP54 had a LOT of those). These are imperceptible and not the level loads that you see. It really would be a bit of a small nightmare trying to recreate it, sorry. Plus I use an emulator for HL Source since 1. I HATE auto updates that break things and 2. The updated Steam copy will flat out crash when trying to playback ANY demos. I don't mind sharing the emulation files and demos I have on hand, but again, it's nothing but agony ahead.

donated) dont really want hd or anything else. just keep it up Ross)
Wow, I donated on day 1 not thinking Ross would make, I just wanted to support him
I've just made a small donation to the cause, but I wanted echo a couple of other posts in saying I'm not hugely fussed about HD
70$ donates
I've been enjoying all Ross' works since day one for free. Fuck yeah I'm donating.
Man, im happy for you! Just sent in 20$ for yah! Hope this money goes towards your well being!
I regret it's only $10, I'm just a grad student.
20 bucks is the least I can do for funding The One Free Man and his Polish farm of internet awesome.
I threw in $5.00 USD.

Thanks a bunch, this is definitely going into "long-term Ross using money wisely to get sustained for life" fund.

BTW I send 50$ so you’re soul belongs to me now BWUUUAHHAHA … at least i think that’s how it works... right
I actually own about a dozen souls from years back, I set up a booth with a friend where we bought people's souls in exchange for candy. I still have the contracts somewhere.

I was thinking to ask whether to mail a spare RevoDrive 3 X2 480Gb PCI-E SSD i have ( http://ocz.com/consumer/revodrive-3-x2-pcie-ssd ), or just 2 bitcoins, but it would seem that i'm late to the party...
No, I'll take either of those! I definitely have enough money for parts now, but the excess is going towards making sure I permantly stay afloat financially. Prior to now I've been eating into my savings to the point where it's basically exhausted. I AM earning more money over time, but it's been slow, so the additional funds offset all that.

On another note, you wrote that you might be able to not need money anymore. If you do achieve that, would you mind to explain the process?
Besides developing my channel, which is slowly growing, I'm working on multiple projects that stand a chance of earning more income over time, just not much at the moment. This influx of income buys me a lot of time to stabilize everything. Additionally, I'm doing research into stocks (don't panic, I'm approaching this VERY slowly and I'm not a gambling person) that will likely pan out over time.

With this money can we get the t-shirt shop up and running again?
That's on the "to do" list for sure. All I can say is that's going to happen AFTER Gorilla Gong gets some major upgrades. The guy helping me with that is kind of overworked.

Only now though did you finally demonstrate the painfully slow filming process that you've alluded to in past posts
Guys, this is nothing, NOTHING compared to Civil Protection.

So in short I have to ask is the line request thing still legit?
Yes, but there is a waiting period (same with reply emails).

Sorry I'm a little late to the party. (Spring Break and all) Here's $54 because your content is amazing, and I can think of at least 54 reasons why.

Maybe now, when you finish FM on this year ( Challenge Accepted :D ), you can do after that some more FM like in HL2 or HL Blue Shift :D

Donated, not much but still I think it should help you :) It's the least I could do for you since you gave so much great time with your videos.

Really wish I could donate some money to Ross.

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

Check out srcdemo2, it's open source, maybe you can take something from it and combine it with my avisynth method for the best of both worlds.

I had a straight up OpenGL based mod (which has the potential of being faster since the data is already on the graphics card) in mind to catch the frames as they are rendered, but sure, fiddling with srcdemo2 might work. I wrote you an email about it yesterday. I know your inbox must be flooded, so take your time. I'll check it out in the meantime.

You'll have to fill me in however with your recording workflow ( I never recorded a thing using Source. I get you basically record a demo and later load it up and let Source render it when you're away, but that's about it. I need possible parameters, preferred formats, etc. ) and possible details about the avisynth averaging process.

Edit: Aaaand it's Java. I can work with that, but I am not going to like it. Implementing the averaging the way you like is as far as I will go in that.

BTW I send 50$ so you’re soul belongs to me now BWUUUAHHAHA … at least i think that’s how it works... right
I actually own about a dozen souls from years back, I set up a booth with a friend where we bought people's souls in exchange for candy. I still have the contracts somewhere.
'I own a dozen souls.' - Ross Scott

On another note, you wrote that you might be able to not need money anymore. If you do achieve that, would you mind to explain the process?
Besides developing my channel, which is slowly growing, I'm working on multiple projects that stand a chance of earning more income over time, just not much at the moment. This influx of income buys me a lot of time to stabilize everything. Additionally, I'm doing research into stocks (don't panic, I'm approaching this VERY slowly and I'm not a gambling person) that will likely pan out over time.
Oh, stocks. Interesting stuff. I don't think I'll be telling you anything new here, but if you are looking for mid-term stable income, you might consider a government bond like the ones in the image below:

PQvFhjM.png

The one with potentially the most yearly income is highlighted with two dots, though you'd pay e.g. €15,000 to get €10,000 in bonds, amounting to €625 (minus tax) per year, which isn't a lot. It'd take about 10 years to be profitable, which would leave only 5 years of profit.

I've also highlighted some other potentially interesting ones. The list is sorted by yield. Commas are points.

Concerning stocks, you probably wouldn't get a lot of money either if you want to stick to dividend of low-risk stocks. If you want to do some trading, I can only wish you luck. I've heard that it's always a good idea to have money in different things, like stock, stuff with invariable interest rates and others, though I imagine that to be difficult if you don't have a lot of money...

Only now though did you finally demonstrate the painfully slow filming process that you've alluded to in past posts
Guys, this is nothing, NOTHING compared to Civil Protection.
If Civil Protection is even worse, what could it be? Basically blocking your PC during a whole day or something like that? Or are you alluding to whatever it takes to actually make the episode, i. e. making characters move and such? I don't even have an idea how you do machinima with gmod, but I think I read you didn't even use that, but somehow did it in the Source engine directly. If it's that what you're talking about, I guess it indeed is a whole lot of work.