Help Make Freeman's Mind HD!

so... this is probably a good opportunity to once again try to direct Ross' attention towards the awesome idea of Flattr.com, which is basically a monthly budget to spend on stuff you like on the web. Flattr-buttons work similar to Facebook likes with the additional effect of granting a share of the budget of the person who clicked. And Flattr even allows to attach clicks to content where the creators didn't sign up yet. Look, there are already 12 clicks for chilledsanity YouTube Videos (probably most of them by me) https://flattr.com/thing/2771065/Help-Make-Freemans-Mind-HD.

Flattr is quite popular among European creators, especially in Germany.

Ross, just being curious- how many episodes more you think will be until end of Half-life? And i do hope you plan to continue this to HL2

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Paypal only donation option?

Also: You are in the union, just order your parts from a neighbour country where the stuff is cheap atm and you'll do fine even with the transport.

I can also go and check with my partners if we can send you some old parts out of our eastern warehouses but I guess you would have to get the stuff yourselves if I can convince them to do so.

so... this is probably a good opportunity to once again try to direct Ross' attention towards the awesome idea of Flattr.com, which is basically a monthly budget to spend on stuff you like on the web. Flattr-buttons work similar to Facebook likes with the additional effect of granting a share of the budget of the person who clicked. And Flattr even allows to attach clicks to content where the creators didn't sign up yet. Look, there are already 12 clicks for chilledsanity YouTube Videos (probably most of them by me) https://flattr.com/thing/2771065/Help-Make-Freemans-Mind-HD.

Flattr is quite popular among European creators, especially in Germany.

Ooh that looks interesting. Not sure that I like that it would take every video you like on youtube. There's stuff I like on youtube, but not enough to donate to, even micro stuff.

Primarily it's the fact that I don't use youtube as regularly as I used to. Not since they made it that you can't comment unless you connect with g+

Also the thing in the video about the AVI output being broken I just remembered. I tried it once and was able to open it in VLC but it looked like this.

gSZLLpS.jpg

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

If Civil Protection is even worse, what could it be?
Each episode is basically like making a small mod.

don't ever let yourself get bought out or sold to another corporate a-hole again if you can help it.
Well when I signed up with Machinima, there weren't really other options. Hell, until 2013, when Valve officially made a statement, there were NO copyright protections for having content up and there have been plenty of copyright witch hunts since then. Nowadays it's much less of a worry for the stuff I do, and yeah, I don't exactly have a burning desire to hook up with another corporation.

Oh, THAT'S how you could always record in Half-Life: Source and I couldn't. Good new piece of information.
From a fan from 2010:

"

I e-mailed you a while ago concerning a problem with the demo playback issue with the Steam version of Half-Life: Source, well we found a fix for it, and if you fancy using the Steam version over the emulator, here it is. It turns out the "demoheader.tmp" file is totally missing from the game files. What I did was, having Half-Life Deathmatch: Source installed, copied

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\\half-life deathmatch source\hl1mp\demoheader.tmp"

over to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\\half-life source\hl1

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\\half-life source\hl2

You won't be able to play older demos, but new ones should work. I've e-mailed this to Valve, but I doubt they'll apply an update to fix this any time soon

"

There were concerns that you removed some of your older voice track files of the series to save up space.
I have them all, I'll release them in the near future.

In terms of long term financial planning and not needing money, you could buy a real Accursed Farm house in Poland:
Great price, but one step at a time, I consider this money "fuel" for the whole year. Although not having to pay rent might even itself out pretty fast.

He can't get it from Newegg since he lives in Poland...
Maybe he watched the short version.

Ross, just being curious- how many episodes more you think will be until end of Half-life?
I don't know, I literally haven't played past the point I'm at in many years.

so... this is probably a good opportunity to once again try to direct Ross' attention towards the awesome idea of Flattr.com, which is basically a monthly budget to spend on stuff you like on the web.
I might consider stuff like this in the future, but for now I may as well finish HL first.

Paypal only donation option?
Not necessarily, but I would have to figure out how to do something else.

Ross, just being curious- how many episodes more you think will be until end of Half-life?
I don't know, I literally haven't played past the point I'm at in many years.

You're not too far now... You're close to Xen, and at that point it's only another hourish of play time, if memory serves.

Hopefully people realize that Money ≠ Time, and that even though you managed to raise all this money is doesn't mean there will be an episode every day all of a sudden. I am very happy to be looking forward to the future of your content though. I can't imagine how much stress this takes off you. Grats, Ross. :D

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

What about a couple of SCSi/SAS 15k Enterprise drives? If you use multiple of them (one for OS, one for SW, one for recording) you get similar speed to SSD for fraction the price per GB. I do it that way. Controllers are somewhat more expensive but eBay is full of used old drives for a few bucks a piece.

I'm just curious: What would look better, a 30Hz video with motion blur calculated from a 180Hz source, or a motion blur-less 30Hz video upped to 60Hz with a real-time frame interpolator like SVP (which also works on YouTube videos)? At 480p your methode probably works better, but at 720p and considering HL1's voxel (relative) simplicity, I'm curious on the comparision (I can run it for 720p with a 560 Ti no prob).

Eugh, 180-30 any day.

Higher framerates are really important for playing games due to things like higher responsiveness and the lack of real films' blur, but watching video is generally fine with a lower framerate, so long as all the motion in each frame's time span is captured. On-the-fly interpolation (or interpolation to artificially increase framerate in general) doesn't look as good as Ross' method.

Oh, you'd be surprised what SVP can do. I won't have access to my desktop computer until the weekend, so I can't test it right now (laptop can't handle it). Thing is, it obviously does worse if its source video has motion blur already, so I can't get impartial results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delacroix

Yes, we know Mister, yours is always the biggest.

I don't know how many people would agree with me, but I've never been in a rush for the Freeman's mind episodes and I've always been happy to wait but considering what a long and arduous task it must've been for Ross to go step by step through the game with this process from day one and to still be making them to the quality he does shows amazing commitment from Ross, but that said, I bet there's a part of him that really wants to motor through and get to a conclusion to what is really a massive body of work now. It must feel like a never ending project at times.

Hopefully the support everyone has shown by raising the money just goes to show that it's been worth it!

Myself, I'm looking forward to more game dungeon! Perfect blend of humour and nostalgia.

Keep it up Ross!

A bit late to the party, but I wanted to say thanks to Ross for all these years of free entertainment so far (I contributed with 10 bucks, but I spent more in less entertaining games and/or movies, so it tastes like almost free to me). Also, I really don't mind with HD versions of FM, as long they keep coming with the same quality and humour. Great work and thanks again for all the free fun, Ross!

So how are you holding up Ross? Getting the used to the idea yet your fans are willing and able to support your creative endeavours? You must take to the film director carreer path like a divine calling now. I sure would have. :lol:

I'd love to see what you could do with a real film crew and cast. In fact, I'd put good money on a bet that you'd be able to take most ordinary film directors and critics by surprise.

Ross- bit off topic, but i tought you like to know. In one RGD episode you mentioned lack of french revolution games pre-napoleon. Well, new Assassin's creed game has just been announced (named "unity") and by looks of it, it takes place during french revolution.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Ross- bit off topic, but i tought you like to know. In one RGD episode you mentioned lack of french revolution games pre-napoleon. Well, new Assassin's creed game has just been announced (named "unity") and by looks of it, it takes place during french revolution.

Well, what did you expect? Of course all big game developers listen to Ross (except EA) ;).

Obviously, that was in development before that RGD episode, but it indeed feels like it came at exactly the right moment :D

Well, what did you expect? Of course all big game developers listen to Ross (except EA) ;).

Obviously, that was in development before that RGD episode, but it indeed feels like it came at exactly the right moment :D

frankly i consider Ubisoft as one of the user-friendliest big gaming companies currently.

and yeah, it was in works for 3 years by looks of it. Also i have heard that there might be other unannounced AC in works.. for me, a history fan, its like donuts to Homer Simpson.

Ubisoft is horrible for DRM though...

tJNSDUmnhsQ

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I don't know how many people would agree with me, but I've never been in a rush for the Freeman's mind episodes
Not enough

Anyway how in detail do you feel about all of this?
Kind of like the scene in Speed where they get everyone off the bus and it detonates, but they don't have Dennis Hopper yet.

So how are you holding up Ross? Getting the used to the idea yet your fans are willing and able to support your creative endeavours? You must take to the film director carreer path like a divine calling now. I sure would have. :lol:

I'd love to see what you could do with a real film crew and cast. In fact, I'd put good money on a bet that you'd be able to take most ordinary film directors and critics by surprise.

I feel a bit overwhelmed, but have a more positive outlook than I've had in over a year. As for a movie, the one I plan on making I think will surprise people, in terms of writing and direction it's going to be an order of magnitude above anything else I've done before.

Yeah I almost thought of mentioning maybe Assassin's Creed will do one in the video. That's fantastic, from the look of the teaser trailer it could be great. The video definitely has the right vibe!

Ubisoft is horrible for DRM though...
Honestly, just about any game I buy, I also get an offline crack for it (unless it's meant to be multiplayer). I think it's bullshit that a game company dictates when you can play the game you paid for.