The vaccination debate.

Sign in to follow this  

This is one of those subjects that can really make me angry. People refusing to get their children vaccinated because of the 'it causes autism' crap study that was refuted. And yet the stupid idea still a lot of people go for it.

Not only is it putting the un-vaccinated children (who really have no choice over the matter) at risk, but also the herd immunity thing. People who actually legit can't get the vaccine because of allergies or whatever are being put at risk because of those who choose not to get it. Diseases are coming back and that is not a good thing.

Let's not also get into the implication that dying of an easily-prevented illness is preferable to autism, but I want to bring attention to something else: Congenital rubella syndrome. It's when a pregnant woman contracts rubella in the first trimester, and it's actually associated with autism spectrum disorders. And it can be prevented by the very thing the anti-vaccine people are against.

Bleh....if it were up to me I'd make vaccinations mandatory except for people who are allergic or can't for some valid medical reason.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Autism isn't the only thing linked to vaccinations... Impotence and sterilization are also results of some vaccinations.

I'll tell you what, you go ahead and make the vaccinations mandatory, and see just how many people will actually follow that law.

Oh, and they're already mandatory for schools, and international travel.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

There is no debate about vaccines. Only a few conspiracy nuts who keep putting out stupid bullshit on how "vaccines are so deadly". Vaccines are not perfect, yes, but they're much more preferable to dying of tetanus, or malaria, or a variety of other easily preventable diseases.

I agree that those, and stuff like smallpox vaccinations are good, but the yearly flu injections are pointless for 95% of the people that get them.

I agree that those, and stuff like smallpox vaccinations are good, but the yearly flu injections are pointless for 95% of the people that get them.

Why? Are they ineffective?

AFAIK, flu vaccination is indeed not very effective or, rather, its effectiveness is somewhat unpredictable. It is mostly because the flu virus has many different strains and vaccines protect from specific individual strains (there is some cross-protection but it's not optimal). Every year, the health authorities are trying to predict which strains will be prevalent in order to select an appropriate vaccine and, obviously, they won't always be successful in these predictions.

I have not heard though of any significant side effects of these vaccines, no matter how widely they are used.

I personally never bothered with flu vaccinations for myself or family. However, avoiding vaccination against serious diseases is stupid, if not to say criminal (especially if parents prevent immunisation of their children).

Just last year there was a major outbreak of measles here in the UK, which was directly linked to the MMR scare and the corresponding decrease in the vaccine take up for their children by scared and ill-informed parents.

Regards

I have known lots of people (>100) who have come to the conclusion that they only get the flu if they get the shot... Me included. I don't get the flu, or only get it for a couple days if I don't get a shot, but if I get a shot, I get the flu for a week or more, and it's far stronger when it hits. (way too many "," in my writing in the past couple days)

AFAIK, flu vaccination is indeed not very effective or, rather, its effectiveness is somewhat unpredictable. It is mostly because the flu virus has many different strains and vaccines protect from specific individual strains (there is some cross-protection but it's not optimal). Every year, the health authorities are trying to predict which strains will be prevalent in order to select an appropriate vaccine and, obviously, they won't always be successful in these predictions.

Regards

Okay, I get it now.

Usually, they do flu injections that are designed for the previous year's flu variation... They stockpile them, and if they run out of the ones for last year, they go to the year before. (this info has come from a cousin that works for the CDC)

I have known lots of people (>100) who have come to the conclusion that they only get the flu if they get the shot... Me included. I don't get the flu, or only get it for a couple days if I don't get a shot, but if I get a shot, I get the flu for a week or more, and it's far stronger when it hits. (way too many "," in my writing in the past couple days)

You may believe it. It has, however, no actual basis in reality, (because it's actually not physically possible) and is almost certainly a case of confirmation bias.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

Yes, I know... There really aren't too many commas in that sentence. The rest though is true.

I'd share some information I learned in my college health class about how vaccinations work about the exact opposite of you describe but I'm sure you'd just handwave it as "bias" or something.

I diagnose you with a sore case of PIDOOMA. You should get that checked out.

It would be interesting to see more study on people who get vaccinated 2 years in a row, but overall vaccinations will severely reduce the amount of people getting the flu.

I don't get influenza very often and I can probably attribute that to people around me getting vaccinated for it.

On the other hand, when I do get it, it usually doesn't last very long, I'm not sure if I have some sort of natural resistance or what.

it usually doesn't last very long

If you don't treat flu, it will normally last seven days, if you do - it will be over in a week.

Regards

If you don't treat flu, it will normally last seven days, if you do - it will be over in a week.

Regards

Wait so which one is the one that only lasts a day? Or two-three days?

Regards

Same here... Even had a blood test once to confirm it was the flu.

That's no flu - just a measly cold :-)

Regards

That's no flu - just a measly cold :-)

Regards

Not according to my bloodwork.