FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 55

Was a little sad he didn't make a ghostbusters reference
Well it seemed too predictable. I actually meant to saying "plasma pack", then realized after the fact I should have said photon pack.

Intentional twist, or oversight?
Freeman has received head trauma.

Ouch ouch ouch. That is not good.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Yes! The return of the 'aliens can teleport inside of me' joke. It makes me feel good when content creators remember jokes they made in the past.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Yes! The return of the 'aliens can teleport inside of me' joke. It makes me feel good when content creators remember jokes they made in the past.

That part made me think about what would happen. Telefrag maybe? Or something more like this:

T6GSEVH.jpg

(That happened in a custom HL1 map when I spoke to a scientist. I was unable to move and had to restart the map.)

Haha, good response.

I always play Half-Life in original GoldSrc personally.

Yeah, same. Just look at those nostalgic menus!

comparison-01.jpg

As compared to:

comparison-02.jpg

I mean, why be punished for playing it on Steam? Another comparison...

Half-Life WON version:

logo-1.gif

Opposing Force WON version:

opposing-force_title.gif

comparison-03.jpg

Blue Shift WON version:

blue-shift_title.gif

comparison-04.jpg

Ahh, you can hear the menu beeps from here... But then...

Half-Life: Decay Steam version

comparison-05.jpg

Why? WHY!?

Sorry for the image-heavy post, I'll try and clean it up later.

Haha, good response.

I'm serious though that is not good.

Today was a good day to spend going through the entire past posts by Ross that are on this site. Everything is archived from back at the beginning, when there was no site and everything was on blogspot or whatever.

Anyway I watched an old episode or two and did notice some irritating lines that moved visibly with the camera, which I believe the 720p would have helped with a bit.

I'm not saying the whole HD thing is worth it because I don't really think so, but hey as long as Ross is able to make these videos without too much more pain by doing them in HD, I'm happy to utilize the feature.

There's also the fact that I really just don't care for the video part of the series at all. I've ripped the audio from the videos of the episodes and have it on my iPod as a sort of comedy podcast sort of thing. Speaking of which I should grab this new episode once the download link is up.

I had a few good laughs while watching this. Don't remember what exactly had been so funny but for reading through pretty much all of Ross' life over the past several years I'm just happy to see things are going well for him. I feel like this whole "making 17 grand after asking for $500" thing makes up for all the pain and torture he went through for The Tunnel.

Actually it would take like 2 or 3 more donation campaigns like this to truly make up for it, considering how long it took, but still.

comparison-01.jpg

As compared to:

comparison-02.jpg

Half-Life WON version:

logo-1.gif

opposing-force_title.gif

comparison-03.jpg

Blue Shift WON version:

blue-shift_title.gif

comparison-04.jpg

comparison-05.jpg

Why? WHY!?

Great post but I actually meant I play the Steam versions, just not HL:S...

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

comparison-01.jpg

As compared to:

comparison-02.jpg

Half-Life WON version:

logo-1.gif

opposing-force_title.gif

comparison-03.jpg

Blue Shift WON version:

blue-shift_title.gif

comparison-04.jpg

comparison-05.jpg

Why? WHY!?

Damnit. I still have the sounds from the menus in my head...

I will not stop until all of my foes go down in flames.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4950/flamingsigld7.jpg

He...He dropped the gluon gun. WHY ROSS why must you torture us so by NOT taking the wtf weapons, first the hive hand then the gauss now this lol

"Fat People Not Good"

Oh, oh yeah... I guess I got a little excited. I play even older versions than you it seems. :P

Oh, oh yeah... I guess I got a little excited. I play even older versions than you it seems. :P

I agree steam versions have f***** up Half-Life a bit. That's why I play original "sierra online" versions. AND THEY RULE :ugeek:

I enjoyed this episode, though I agree some of the corridor wandering doesn't lend itself well to entertaining video. I do actually quite like the claustrophobic feel of some of this section of the game though.

More generally as we get closer to Xen I'm intrigued about how Ross is going to address Freeman's motivation for making that jump. For most of the game you're pretty much wandering aimlessly with your only objective being to escape the current location you're trapped in, and I think the way Ross has developed Freeman so far works well (doesn't really care about anyone else, only interested in escaping etc.) However the further through the game you get the more your objective starts to be to get TO the lambda complex, rather than just AWAY FROM wherever you are now. So the further through the game Ross gets the more the motivation of the Freeman he's created diverges from the player's motivations.

There have been a couple of moments so far where this has been obvious, the journey from the surface down into the lambda complex, culminating with the scientist who let's you into the complex proper really feels like you're heading somewhere definite. Ross doesn't have Freeman comment about going back underground, or try any of the other doors, or mind that the way out of a huge loading bay is probably not a tiny door up a ladder...

That really comes to a head at the end of this chapter when you're given the lowdown on the plan to save the world, and you have to make a pretty positive decision to jump into that portal. I mean, I know there are actually no other exists from that room, but the whole sequence is designed to make you feel like you're deciding to help.

So is Ross still going to have Freeman as 'just trying to escape'? That's going to feel pretty forced surely? Or will Freeman have some kind of realisation that he's going to have to help, if only for his own sake? We haven't really had any hint of that so far, unless I've missed something.

I'm interested to see how the next few episodes pan out.

He...He dropped the gluon gun. WHY ROSS why must you torture us so by NOT taking the wtf weapons, first the hive hand then the gauss now this lol

my guess he didnt drop it, just stored it in his weapon storage mechanism.

but it would actually make sense. I am seriously waiting his encounter with niniliath though

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

No he dropped it, you can see it on the ground when he comes back around. Liberties for carrying a crowbar, a pistol, an SMG, a shotgun, grenades, a rocket launcher and ammunition for all of that together at once aside, the huge backpack and hose was not the most mobile of things to pack around.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Yeah, Freeman probably should have looked at it more directly, but I'm glad somebody else noticed, Arby.

Have you noticed the like/dislike ratio is about 3,000 to 3? That's pretty cool.

No he dropped it, you can see it on the ground when he comes back around.

Speaking of that.... prop_dynamic_create or something else? Just curious.