April News

Theres also a bit in the guidelines that might apply on account of Freeman's character:

Keep it clean and keep it positive! Dota 2 has a very wide audience and we want to make sure that each announcer is able to appeal to as many people as possible. When writing the script for your announcer please aim to keep your humor relatively clean, avoiding dialog that is sexist, or racist, or religiously offensive. Additionally, Dota 2 can often be a very stressful game. When a player’s team begins to lose oftentimes the last thing they will want to hear is an announcer insulting and berating their play. Where appropriate, attempt to keep your announcer commentary positive, or funny, or at the very least encouraging. We also advise against referencing copyrighted works such as songs or films, or making remarks about real people.

It maybe something to look at. Im not sure.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Theres also a bit in the guidelines that might apply on account of Freeman's character:

Keep it clean and keep it positive! Dota 2 has a very wide audience and we want to make sure that each announcer is able to appeal to as many people as possible. When writing the script for your announcer please aim to keep your humor relatively clean, avoiding dialog that is sexist, or racist, or religiously offensive. Additionally, Dota 2 can often be a very stressful game. When a player’s team begins to lose oftentimes the last thing they will want to hear is an announcer insulting and berating their play. Where appropriate, attempt to keep your announcer commentary positive, or funny, or at the very least encouraging. We also advise against referencing copyrighted works such as songs or films, or making remarks about real people.

It maybe something to look at. Im not sure.

Yeah on top of all the other things you have to do you might as well rename the announcer pack to avoid the reference to Gordon. Though there are announcer packs for Valve IP such as the Dr. Kleiner pack, but that's official and wasn't a workshop submission. Maybe you have to get some sort of express permission to use the "Feeman's Mind" name.

I was more thinking along the line of "an announcer insulting and berating their play" (which is honestly what I'd expect from Freeman!) but the name thing applies too i guess.

Nah, he belittles, but in a perfectly humorous way. Nothing's going to be flat-out insulting or derogatory. Yeah there was the whole "rat-fuck meatbag who doesn't understand what the term 'civilian' means," but still, plenty of humor to outweigh the insulting.

I'd expect a respawn comment to be something like "hey, try not to die this time. Might help." I wouldn't expect something like "try not to suck so much this time." It would vaguely fit Freeman's character, but I'm sure that rule was there the entire time for Ross to follow.

I was more thinking along the line of "an announcer insulting and berating their play" (which is honestly what I'd expect from Freeman!) but the name thing applies too i guess.
That's a non-issue, mine was designed like that from the beginning (before THIS rule was added).

Ok thats good to know. Or i hope it is. Maybe not because if the new submission doesnt work....bleh, I dont know.

Oh so that rule hadn't been in there before. Wow. Still, I wouldn't expect Ross to use the excuse of "being in-character" to flat-out insult someone playing a game.

I hope this 5-second-rule is really what they were deeming incompatible. Especially because it wasn't there before.

Does resubmitting mean that you lose all the votes on the pack? In that case, you should find some way to inform your voters that it has been resubmitted, because I'm very sure that not everyone follows this as closely as people here do.

Good luck once again, I guess.

To be honest, i thought it would have ended up being a prank, but don't dismiss it as a possible project for the future, possibly after you wrap up freeman's mind, just to keep things going.

Also, i think it'd still be cool to see Freeman in games like Amnesia where he wakes up drunk in a bed after attending a off the walls crazy ass party, he talks with a houghty toughty british accent for the first episode until he gets the crap scared out of him.

Best part is that Amnesia is customizable game, and you can inject your own stories into it. Like write notes to Freeman from Freeman or something like that. Yeah, that'd be sick.

To be honest, i thought it would have ended up being a prank, but don't dismiss it as a possible project for the future, possibly after you wrap up freeman's mind, just to keep things going.

Also, i think it'd still be cool to see Freeman in games like Amnesia where he wakes up drunk in a bed after attending a off the walls crazy ass party, he talks with a houghty toughty british accent for the first episode until he gets the crap scared out of him.

Best part is that Amnesia is customizable game, and you can inject your own stories into it. Like write notes to Freeman from Freeman or something like that. Yeah, that'd be sick.

i agree

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

I imagine even if slowdown were applied after the fact, voicing doom guy was probably a pretty painful experience.

Speaking in a growl for two long can cause medical issues.

That being said, it was really great, with many T-shirt worthy one-liners.

Hey, Ross. Remember that one time you were on the podcast with the people who were (mostly) inspired by you?

Yeah, there was also something about doing a thing with a line and stuff.

No, I'm not gonna go straight to the point.

It highly depends on how Ross qualifies Freeman jumping into the Xen portal. It may be impossible given the personality of the Freeman for him to just run straight into the portal the way he does shown in Opposing Force.

Ross, this is a dumb thing to apologize for. I'm glad you're grateful for your fans, but seriously, man. That one gag alone was probably the most laughs I got out of any April Fool's joke. You're my hero in several ways, even if your capture methods are overkill. Now stop feeling guilty 'bout all the money you raised. We know you'll make us some cool shit. Excited about the Game Dungeon!

Ross, even if you couldn't voice Freeman in "every first-person game", maybe after you'e finished the Machinima movie, could you consider voicing Freeman in just a few first-person games like Portal 2, especially Portal 2 because I lost it at that gameplay footage; "I don't get it.....there's no known Physics model for thi....OH MY GOD!.....". It's just that your Freeman commentaries are brilliant and would be hilarious to see in some other games other than Half-Life at some point.

I'm still going to watch that April Fools trailer again and again because it's just so funny....

Ross, even if you couldn't voice Freeman in "every first-person game", maybe after you'e finished the Machinima movie, could you consider voicing Freeman in just a few first-person games like Portal 2, especially Portal 2 because I lost it at that gameplay footage; "I don't get it.....there's no known Physics model for thi....OH MY GOD!.....". It's just that your Freeman commentaries are brilliant and would be hilarious to see in some other games other than Half-Life at some point.

I'm still going to watch that April Fools trailer again and again because it's just so funny....

If Ross could clone himself...

I'd have a problem! :lol:

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Now stop feeling guilty 'bout all the money you raised. We know you'll make us some cool shit. Excited about the Game Dungeon!
Oh I don't feel GUILTY about the money, I was just concerned when I made it that it would alienate fans. Thankfully, it didn't. Hell I can put the money to use, I'd have to be loaded before I started feeling guilty about it, and even then, I would do something about it. Even with the donations, my income is below the median and average income for the USA, unless I was exploiting people, guilt doesn't enter into it.

And more Game Dungeon coming! A lot of it!

Now stop feeling guilty 'bout all the money you raised. We know you'll make us some cool shit. Excited about the Game Dungeon!
Oh I don't feel GUILTY about the money, I was just concerned when I made it that it would alienate fans. Thankfully, it didn't. Hell I can put the money to use, I'd have to be loaded before I started feeling guilty about it, and even then, I would do something about it. Even with the donations, my income is below the median and average income for the USA, unless I was exploiting people, guilt doesn't enter into it.

And more Game Dungeon coming! A lot of it!

Cant wait for the Game Dungeon episodes Ross, I do hope they will be extremely suprising like the ending of ur Zany Golf Video....that was out of the ballpark and it freaked me out when I did

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."