A Freeman's Mind Soundboard (request/suggestion)

Get a copy of Audacity -- it's free and works on a bunch of different operating systems. Play around with it a bit. Note the 'Export selection' under the File menu, and 'Clip Boundaries' submenu under Edit. Documentation here too, if you prefer that to just messing around to figure out things.

If you plan to export MP3 files* you also need to grab a copy of LAME.

*This is something that needs to be decided on, so we don't end up with a weird mixup of different formats and bitrates from different people. Also a consistent filenaming scheme!

I hope I'm not being too takey-chargey or anything like that.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Don't use MP3... Use Vorbis or AAC. (better quality at the same bitrate)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I think that depends on what the soundboard-software-website-thingy supports though.

That reminds me: Who's going to host it? Unless we use some third-party soundboard site (if a good one even exists) someone's going to need to look after the webhosting.

Well, I did at one point find a decent web-interface sound player that would do Vorbis or AAC, but I'll have to do some searching to find it again.

Looks good, unless someone has a spare computer they want to have as a small private server... (I can walk you through the majority of the installation and setup if you do)

If we use that soundboard site linked, the files will HAVE to be MP3. As well theres a 125 MB total limit. I personally dont think its such the greatest option.

Best way is to do a small Linux server, but I just don't have the spare system to set it up.

I guess if you made it one of those Flash soundboards, you could upload it to Newgrounds or something.

Flash requires somebody that actually knows Flash and has it. I actually did know a bit, but that was before I rammed my skull into concrete. (Not a recommended course of action, by the way.) Anyways, unless there's a way to externally embed the sound files.....there's filesize limits on Newgrounds.

I do have a spare computer around, but between the fact that it's from 1998 (and possibly not working anymore due to my mother thinking it was a good idea to put it into a mud-floor basement in an area that's well-known for raining half the year), my somewhat-shaky internet connection, and a little clause in the ISP's terms of service....sorry.

Anyways I got some interesting results on google for "html5 soundboard tutorial." I'll keep looking.

Well three options as I see it:

1. Someone sets up a server and hosts it there.

2. Free webhosting. Not something I'd particularly like to rely on.

3. Someone pays for the webhosting. (If my income was better I'd offer this myself.)

Theres also a fourth option but it's rather silly so I'll just keep it in my brain.

What? WHAT IS IT!? What is the fourth option!?

This thread actually got a lot more input than I expected, that's pretty cool.

Flash requires somebody that actually knows Flash and has it. I actually did know a bit, but that was before I rammed my skull into concrete. (Not a recommended course of action, by the way.)

Wow, are you serious about that? How did it happen?

I had a bad fall. Knocked myself out for a minute and then got back up and carried on throughout the rest of the day as if I was fine. Apparently because of that (well I do fall a lot too) nobody thought to get me to a doctor for like three weeks afterwards.

It isnt something that anyone should go through. Its affected things a lot for me and i try to look forward but its hard a lot.

Wow, that's actually incredible. I wish I could've been there to help you out, a knock to the head

is not to be taken lightly and repeated impacts can slowly lead to a concussion. Luckily I don't play

very heavy contact sport (or much sport at all) but there's still a lot of collisions around me and I

try to be as aware of them as I can be.

Thanks for sharing anyway, I know it's off-topic and probably quite personal.

Well, I actually have a game in an hour so I better get ready... :P

"You never know what they're doing in there."

"Looks like I brought a gun to an artillery fight"

"Are those ninjas?!"

"I guess your votes are for 'dead'"