ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: STRIFE

this was a good episode Ross keep it up

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Just a minor correction: the music in Strife isn't "real" MIDI, it's in MUS-format, a custom smaller MIDI container developed by id. An archive with all the MUS titles can be found here (taken from this site). There's also a working MUS to MIDI converter available for DOS.

I tried to convert (well, in fact it's converting and recording) a few from MUS to MP3. For example listen to the track "Dark" as MP3 (corresponding MIDI file).

It has been made with DOSBox's Gravis UltraSound emulation and ProPatches Lite 1.60, no instrument modifications though. I can't tell what it sounds on a legit GUS; I have to power up one in my legacy systems later if you're interested.

I love dealing with audio related and vintage stuff, if I can help Ross in some way I'd be glad.

EDIT: here's the "Strike" tune, the one played while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?start=939&v=oPrU7LSqiX0.
Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Dangit now I've got this idea in my head to see if guy I know that has money could be helpful in tracking down who owns the rights to see if they could be bought.

Sure it won't sell like system shock 2 did but at $5 on stea! Or Gog it'd make its money back just dumping it in a dosbox wrapper knowing anyone that buys will put it in a source port.

I dunno if they'll be interested though, it is a long process with uncertain payout.

Anyone know if the current owners of the liquidated velocity/rouge IP rights can be found?

Dangit now I've got this idea in my head to see if guy I know that has money could be helpful in tracking down who owns the rights to see if they could be bought.

Sure it won't sell like system shock 2 did but at $5 on stea! Or Gog it'd make its money back just dumping it in a dosbox wrapper knowing anyone that buys will put it in a source port.

I dunno if they'll be interested though, it is a long process with uncertain payout.

Anyone know if the current owners of the liquidated velocity/rouge IP rights can be found?

Ummm... Have you skipped the part where Ross says it's an abandonware and it's free to download? :roll:

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Decompiling it is legally gray but IMHO ethically okay--distributing it the same, considering its abandonware and all. But when you charge money for the distributions (even if they're modified), as he's suggesting, it's gone into an extremely grey area both legally and ethically, unless whoever did it got the okay of whoever actually owns the rights to the game.

I'd elaborate a bit more but I have to go pack some more boxes and my brain's not working at full right now.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

On the subject of mist past/future tech games, there's the Might and Magic 6 and 7 (I think others in the series too, but those are the ones I've played). Though it was less a mix, and more a last minute twist that turns your characters into demigods. Although I actually liked the way the high and low tech stories blended toward the ends of the games.

Oh man, that brought me back. Was a bit too young to fully appreciate the game back then but still remember it fondly (for some reason I really like his hands/gloves when holding the knife). Had to go find my copy.

Couldn't help but notice the story in Ross's (pdf?) manual being slightly* different from mine. Probably just a regional difference between the "International Manual" and the one he has, but still kind of funny since they're both in English and the changes seem mostly arbitrary. Monarchy or dictatorship? Depends on who you're asking, perhaps ;)

*Or significantly, relatively speaking. Five sentences for a backstory... Hey, good enough for me.

here's the "Strike" tune, the one played while
Those rhythms put me in a mood, couldn't help it. Hope someone enjoys (not going to be everyone's cup of tea, sorry). :)

d3v9TFoNQ0E

This is badass. While I admit I liked the saw waves of the original, I seriously can't find a problem with your version, it nails the tone they were going for in the original. I eventually plan to do a follow-up episode to the games covered so far, I'll definitely include your mix when I do, you nailed it.

Awesome, glad you like it! Let me know if you need anything. Looking forward to the episode (...as if we're not excited for every upload) :)

I am just about done typing up Strife. With this and Potty Pigeon already typed up, I should have the subs for both of these available sometime this weekend. Stay tuned folks and I apologize for the lengthy turnaround. At least I'll get 'em out before the next video is posted. :D

Triple-posting like a baws.

I'm not into maze-like games like Doom at all, but I really enjoyed this episode. And I kind of want to know more about the "Oh, you cut off his hand" girl. What's going on with her? I kinda liked her. ;)

That has it's own appeal... Mostly to the deaf, but it's there nevertheless. lol

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I took one quote from the video quite literally...

iT6aiU5PkIw

absolutely horrible... my ears! :P

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^