Iraqi civil war.

Sign in to follow this  

The country is up for grabs now and he is trying to get as big a piece for himself and his backers as he can. He will not give away any of his power to anyone now.

Regards

The country is up for grabs now and he is trying to get as big a piece for himself and his backers as he can. He will not give away any of his power to anyone now.

Regards

Let me go for the record and just say that Maliki has given ISIS victories that would be impossible with anyone else in power. Fucking idiot...

Seems the US has been getting involved, if only taking a minor role.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/u-s-conducts-four-more-airstrikes-in-iraq-to-defend-yazidis-1407625862

I already posted news reports on the recent bombing runs on ISIS. What should happen is increased support for the Kurds, because, let's face it, "free" Iraq is collapsing under the delusions of a madman. Let's just hope ISIS doesn't take the Anbar while Bagdad burns.

Yeah, I know you did, but I like my link better.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

About bloody time...

Another result of US-Iranian cooperation, I wonder? The US: "We'll cancel your tickets!", the Iranians: "We'll cancel your life insurance.", Maliki: "Alright, alright - I was just kidding!" :-)

Regards

About bloody time...

Another result of US-Iranian cooperation, I wonder? The US: "We'll cancel your tickets!", the Iranians: "We'll cancel your life insurance.", Maliki: "Alright, alright - I was just kidding!" :-)

Regards

One can hope right?

Iraqis are making another offensive towards Tikrit and the operation to retake Mosul dam has succeeded. Some good fucking news for now, if it wasn't for the fact that ISIS is beheading captured US citizens in response to the air campaign. Make of that what you will.

EDIT: Tikrit offensive is a failure, suprises nobody.

EDIT2: Shia millitias attacked a Sunni mosque and killed everbody inside. I'll try to find a news artile on it.

There is very little chance of that happening, unfortunately.

My best hope is that the US will be able to form a coalition with key Muslim states in the region - including Iran, Saudis and Syria - in order to take direct action against ISIS. It's going to be difficult, though, but without that, a unilateral military action by the US may just be what ISIS wants. That will generate for them a lot of popular support in the region as they will be seen as heroes fighting the anti-Muslim oppressor...

Regards

There is very little chance of that happening, unfortunately.

My best hope is that the US will be able to form a coalition with key Muslim states in the region - including Iran, Saudis and Syria - in order to take direct action against ISIS. It's going to be difficult, though, but without that, a unilateral military action by the US may just be what ISIS wants. That will generate for them a lot of popular support in the region as they will be seen as heroes fighting the anti-Muslim oppressor...

Regards

Iran is opposing US intrests and want Syria and Iraq to be its puppets, the Saudis will never contribute (official) troops (and right now can't trust their own), and Syria is led by a brutal, genocidal, and sectarian dictator, who is practically handing ISIS fighters and will turn many Sunnis against us if we support him.

A real military force in the region would be Jordan, along with as many anti-ISIS Sunni volunteers we can obtain. Otherwise, the US, UK, Australia, and the Iraqis/Kurds are going to be the ones doing most of the fighting.

Mostly agree with you. This shows the difficulty, doesn't it?

Iraqi shia and Kurds will continue to bear the brunt of it. Iran will be supporting both, to some extent. Syria's Assad will continue on his own. But that will only lead to a stalemate, they will keep ISIS from expanding, at least for a while, but it won't "roll them back".

Without a supportive Muslim coalition the US is unlikely to do anything more than bombing an occasional car or a house "on actionable intelligence". The UK will stay out of it and the Australians? I have no idea.

ISIS have been heard threatening Putin with reprisals for the supplies of the Russian jets to Iraq, that may or may not lead to something...

Regards

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.