ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: ARCADE AMERICA

This video went deep into my memories.

When I was a 8 or 10 year old, I actually had this game and I only remember now due to this video. You think this is crazy game? Well, now imagine being my age at the time AND also only knowing english already, because I had an english copy of this.

It was clearly amazing to find out what the story is about just know. I'm pretty sure this is one of the most awkward stories+atmosphere in western video games to date.

But back in the day the story for me went like this: Joey and some monsters live together. Monsters want to wake him up (slapstick is a universal language) and blow the place up. So he needs to find them. Never made it past the first level and soon forgotten about this. Up until now. But should I really be thankful? :P

btw: Does he really say Lance Boyle? Because that would be awesome. Are the makers of megarace in any way connected to these developers?

edit: @SiCaRiO31: Same thing for me, exactly the same experience! :)

THIS GAME!! THIS GAME !!

I had a demo of this game in a cd named "games for windows 95" that came with my first computer (a 100 mhz pentium I). I barely remember it because I just played Doom and Fury III, but this game was in that cd and I launched it once or twice in my life. I didnt knew any english, and I had no idea WTH I was doing, but those visuals stuck with me, in a little place in my brain, for years, until I saw this video and came back again.

Thanks... I guess xD

FURY3!!

I remember that game. I played the crap out of it as a kid. It was a pretty solid flighty-shooty game, with a lot of fun environments.

Fury3, Dark Forces, MegaRace, NFFSSE, Doom, and Duke Nukem...my whole childhood on the computer.

I totally agree with Ross on part 3. Joey and The Monsters need to be on more games. Maybe we'll get even more personality knowledge on the monsters. These guys are underrated and i need to make it an objective to inform as many people as possible of this game and the possibility's of these guys.

Bomb-shelter parties are the best parties, because bomb-shelter parties don't stop... until everyone's dead.

That "Third Base" line is kind of brilliant writing. It riffs off of some some fairly lame puns and makes a rather clever Abbot and Costello reference that you could easily miss if you weren't paying attention.

One thing I don't get is why the end song is so awful. It's just a terribly distorted Star Spangled Banner. Say what you will about the other songs in the game, they are of vastly better musical quality than THAT.

I have to say. Ross saved my fourth with this one. My Hard drive fried, I had to cancel all my family visits, my AC stopped working, and fireworks throughout mocking me. This video(, or three however you look at it) saved my sanity while I was slowly moving files in a DOS screen to an external (it took me nineteen hours total so I got to watch all of the game dungeon episodes multiple times).

Thanks, Ross.

I'm in a good mood... on the internet... better enjoy it while it lasts.

One thing I don't get is why the end song is so awful.

I thought it was funny. You go through all that to then find out that Joey’s band is so horrible [or hardcore, depends on your definition ;) ] that the stage and everyone around it explodes into a massive crater!

At first you’re off put by the singing but then you’re left there baffled and unsure what to think. Sums up the whole feel of this game in one segment :lol:.

It's very subtle, but I notice a pulsating flicker for about 2 seconds about 80% of the time when you cut to a mostly white screen. It's most noticeable when I'm watching one of your videos in the dark on my laptop; I can see the flicker on my keyboard. I noticed it on part 3 when you cut to the creative labs logo, and on most of the freemans mind episodes when the logo comes up.

It's too subtle to hurt the video quality in any way, I'm just curious as to what causes it, be it a compression artifact or something else.

It's very subtle, but I notice a pulsating flicker for about 2 seconds about 80% of the time when you cut to a mostly white screen. It's most noticeable when I'm watching one of your videos in the dark on my laptop; I can see the flicker on my keyboard. I noticed it on part 3 when you cut to the creative labs logo, and on most of the freemans mind episodes when the logo comes up.

It's too subtle to hurt the video quality in any way, I'm just curious as to what causes it, be it a compression artifact or something else.

Are you using a CRT screen? If so try increasing the refresh rate to a minimum of 75Hz (85Hz is recommended). You may have to decrease the resolution in smaller/older CRTs.

If you aren't then I have no idea what might cause it.

Are you using a CRT screen? If so try increasing the refresh rate to a minimum of 75Hz (85Hz is recommended). You may have to decrease the resolution in smaller/older CRTs.

If you aren't then I have no idea what might cause it.

Are there really laptops that have CRT screens?

"Exits are supposed to be difficult to locate! Because GOD HELP YOU if someone exited your building by accident. Then, they'd have to come back in!"

"Roger, Roger. What's your Vector, Victor?

No, but his laptop could be hooked up to one. I've never seen a laptop screen flickering though but it I guess it doesn't mean that his laptop doesn't do that.

No, but his laptop could be hooked up to one. I've never seen a laptop screen flickering though but it I guess it doesn't mean that his laptop doesn't do that.

The reason laptop screens don't flicker is because LCD screens work a bit differently from CRT monitors. In CRTs there's something called an electron gun that "draws" the image pixel by pixel. After one pixel a new one is "drawn," and the previous starts to disappear. However, this is happening so fast you cannot perceive this. Your eyes see one image.

This flicker could (and likely is, if you're using a CRT) be because the refresh rate is set too low. At 50 Hz on a CRT, the image is being drawn slow enough that most people's eyes can perceive a flicker. At 72 (if I recall correctly) Hz, most people can't tell. Some CRTs can go up to 140 Hz.

It *might* be because your video card can only output 30 frames per second and your monitor's refresh rate is set significantly higher. This is unlikely, though, unless the CRT you are using is truly ancient.

LCDs *do* flicker! However, as the backlight is most likely running at a minimum of 200 Hz, one's eyes do not see it. LCDs also work a fair bit different than CRTs in regards to how video is displayed.

If your laptop has an HDMI port on it, and you have a cable, try hooking it up to your TV if it's an LCD and it's compatible.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

The refresh flicker from CRT monitors is very different from what I'm seeing. Not to mention that kind of flicker is constant no matter what's being displayed. PS, if you're still using a crt screen, replace it; the drop in your power bill alone will pay for it after about 5 years. The only CRT in my house is the one built into my Vectrex, so that'll be the only place I'll see crt flicker again outside of Funspot.

I've seen this effect on two lcd laptop screens. It shows up a lot in the Strife video, since there's a lot of cutaways to screens with 'pure white' backgrounds. One screen is on a medium quality Toshiba, the other is a Dell xps 15z I got refurbished for a song. I do not observe it on the LG television I use as a monitor on my main computer. The television and Dell are broadly similar in their specs with 60hz refreshes and 1080p resolutions.

I'd guess it was something to do with the screen backlighting, except this effect doesn't take place when I just cut to a white screen during normal computer use. I know this kind of thing isn't even that interesting to most people, but I do like knowing why stuff happens, and I'm quite perplexed.

Fun fact, Quake was designed on a truly giaganic 1080 resolotion CRT monitor.

im probably nt qualified to speak but perhaps its the video isnt actually completely white and theres enough variance between the invidual frames to appear as a flicker.i dont know im not good at anything

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

A very slight grey frame, if there, can cause certain lower quality LCD controllers to spaz for a few frames. (I have one myself, but it not my main PC)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The refresh flicker from CRT monitors is very different from what I'm seeing. Not to mention that kind of flicker is constant no matter what's being displayed. PS, if you're still using a crt screen, replace it; the drop in your power bill alone will pay for it after about 5 years. The only CRT in my house is the one built into my Vectrex, so that'll be the only place I'll see crt flicker again outside of Funspot.

I've seen this effect on two lcd laptop screens. It shows up a lot in the Strife video, since there's a lot of cutaways to screens with 'pure white' backgrounds. One screen is on a medium quality Toshiba, the other is a Dell xps 15z I got refurbished for a song. I do not observe it on the LG television I use as a monitor on my main computer. The television and Dell are broadly similar in their specs with 60hz refreshes and 1080p resolutions.

I'd guess it was something to do with the screen backlighting, except this effect doesn't take place when I just cut to a white screen during normal computer use. I know this kind of thing isn't even that interesting to most people, but I do like knowing why stuff happens, and I'm quite perplexed.

Fun fact, Quake was designed on a truly giaganic 1080 resolotion CRT monitor.

Maybe it's a problem with flash? I want to know, too.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Read the comments. The monitor didn't even get made until 1997. (and one of the commentors mentioned that the picture is from a video on the making of Quake 3)

I think we're both wrong; the article I liked to points to another article talking about Quake 2, and says he 'was still' using the monitor while that video about Doom 3 was being made. Certainly the best CRTs still had superior characteristics compared to LCDs when Doom 3 was being made. The monitor's manual looks like it has a date of 97 on it, so that would lead me to believe that claims of him using it in 1995 were indeed false.

In my defense, I don't think it's totally crazy to believe an article that has something as specific as a model number and a valid link to a specs page.

Also that video was tagged by Happypuppy. Now there's some nostalgia.