General Chat

You're no fun... :`(

[EDIT] The image tags still don't work properly in the signatures. I am from now on manually adding a signature.

934c2a062a.png

That top box is checked by default on older accounts

That's why they're not working.

the name's riley

I have 6 months to make 2 games to graduate and I'm basically at the point where I don't know what to do for 4 of those months since I'm already a good 1/4th through the required content to graduate in the first 3 weeks. I honestly thought a sidescroller in CryENGINE would be harder but setting up the side camera basically solved like 80% of the work on the character and that took 5 hours to learn, build, test and redo because I accidentally deleted said camera without knowing and saving it. -.-

Ah yesss I remember this.

Sounds like it's turning out well too, mind posting a video for us sometime in the future? C:

Yeah, I'll be needing a demo video of it anyway for the second senior class so I can link it then. For now I just want to make everything function properly first. The hardest of anything will be the AI behavior since for at least 1 game that will be coded from scratch.

If you get them to alpha, I'd be happy to be a tester for you.

I could do this for at least the Unity game because they're cool about posting up games for free and make their executables nice and easy to make. The CryENIGNE game may be a bit of an issue. I know how to build the game for standalone use but the executable gets put in a very weird place which until I can figure out how to build one properly you may just have to put up with jumping through a few folders to find it.

Keep in mind it's probably gonna look kinda odd since I'm doing everything by myself I won't have time for custom characters or any super detailed looks. It'll probably look like a game from 2005 or something lol. Maybe even earlier.

Retired Forum Moderator

I don't mind... I've been an alpha/beta tester of software for a very long time, and know how it goes with early stages of game development. (I've even built a few programs up to alpha myself)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Well as long as you're cool with a lot of primitive shapes trying to kill you we should be good XD

Also I just found out that Crytek has their Crysis 3 art book up for free so I checked it out. Just browsing through a few pages I learned a bunch of things about material creation that will really help in the long run. I wish I did this sooner.

Retired Forum Moderator

I played an alpha where I ran around as a purple and black cube, shooting purple and black cubes with purple and black cubes fired from a purple and black cube... I think I can handle shapes. ;)

I'll have to check out the art book... It should be interesting.

It wasn't. It turned into a pre-alpha of another game that ended up completely different. (and also ended up not having ANY purple and black cubes, despite their appeal as weapons)

So for one of the games I decided to get a couple easy models out of the way. Just the typical barrels and crates and what not. I just finished the traffic cone and.... that's gotta be the easiest model I've ever made. 10 minutes and this is what I have.

Like it's gonna be small on the screen so you won't see any of the rough edges but even then for such a simple low poly model darn thing looks nice. Now why can't my complex stuff ever turn out this good :(

Edit: I should maybe make a topic for this in the games section?

TrafficCone.thumb.png.68b89b67523cd0594e0f9c9cd3a57b69.png

Retired Forum Moderator

That looks like a good Mad Max movie...

Yes, make a thread for the game.

I will be looking at it. Thanks.

Oh, and I'm making a cake right now... Strawberry. With Duff brand white frosting. Total cost of all ingredients and electricity: about $4.

Yeah, the cake turned out well enough that my Dad (who doesn't like strawberry anything, except for real actual strawberries) actually said it was "very good".

SO I was working on my cryengine game and attempting to break it any way I can for the purpose of fixing it, and, well, I found out what happens when you set the game to first person when using a third person camera. It screws up the model since it renders a different one. so headless floating body aside, another gem appeared that happens behind the scenes when you look up or down.

Behold, nightmare fuel:

This is the best laugh I've had all month.

nightmares.thumb.jpg.66c3361f15d199f0219da8c96dad0f78.jpg

Retired Forum Moderator