General Chat

I can play the piano. X3

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Does anyone here know a thing or two about guitars, bass and/or drums? I have a thing for playing musical instruments, and i wanna know if there are people who can play.

I wish i could play drums.

"FUCK YOU REALITY!!YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!!!"

"Hark! Dost thou hear with thine ears what I hear with mine? Interloper! No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend! Anon! Show thyself, churl!"

http://myanimelist.net/profile/MantisDude

As much as I used to absolutely love playing music, I haven't done it in over a decade. I had a nightmare of a music teacher that made it so the thought of playing an instrument made me upset. Used to be the alto saxophone. I picked it up real fast too.

If not for that teacher, I might actually be pursuing a career related to music instead. I'm still mad at that person and it's been so long. Only grudge I've ever held.

Retired Forum Moderator

Someone has a story worth telling. *cough* Rarity *cough*

I am intrigued by your past, now tell me! >w<

I mean, you don't have to.

Also, why is it, when I get a bad arm, suddenly everything I need or want to do requires my bad arm?

Ugh.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

As much as I used to absolutely love playing music, I haven't done it in over a decade. I had a nightmare of a music teacher that made it so the thought of playing an instrument made me upset. Used to be the alto saxophone. I picked it up real fast too.

If not for that teacher, I might actually be pursuing a career related to music instead. I'm still mad at that person and it's been so long. Only grudge I've ever held.

How bad was your teacher that put you off playing the sax?

I wish i could play drums.

It's fun to play the drums. Except when you bash the cymbals too hard. One gig, i hit the cymbals harder than i should have. Think of that episode in FM where Gordon shot that headcrab inside a vent, and almost got himself deaf. That's what it felt like during that gig.

Welp, now what?

There seems to be an interest in that story. Very well then.

It's not a very long story or all that complicated. It was back in 6th grade, I was really looking forward to learning music. The school offered music classes which lead into marching band so I joined up as my elective class. Well, that's when I met the teacher. Lets put it this way. There was no such thing as a good mood with her. There was only 2 moods: I'm in a bad mood, play your damn music, and I'm in a really bad mood so you all are going to be in a bad mood with me. Her mood was almost always the latter. Next up, there was absolutely no encouragement from her. If she wasn't talking about how much you were messing up the song, she probably wasn't talking. She even went as far as to punish students for playing songs that weren't in the issued music book. I was even sent to detention once when I taught myself how to play the schools anthem on my own. Claimed "I was a disruptive influence" which totally makes sense, you know, seeing as the class hadn't even started yet and there were only 3 other people in the room at the time.

And you know what was in those issued music books? Mary had a little lamb, Jingle bells, Shalom, the easiest songs in the world to play. And not even the whole song. 2 lines. Only 2 lines AT MOST of the easiest songs in the world. I was bored out of my mind in those classes. On top of all of that, she was terrible at teaching anything at all. The most I learned from her was how to read a few types of notes. The rest I learned on my own, and boy did she not like that. All the other students music was off key, had no life, no emotion. Just a poorly played song made by a wind machine. And she did NOTHING to try and fix this. Absolutely nothing.

It got so bad that the year after I dropped out of the music program. I couldn't stand to spend another hour in the same room with that person, let alone every school day for 4 more years. It was so bad that for years after I couldn't even open my saxophone case without being reminded of everything that horrible teacher did to absolutely butcher music for me. Like it reduced me to tears one time I tried to play again it was that bad.

That's why I can't forgive that person. They destroyed my love for music for about 5 years with how badly that affected me.

So that's what Tumblr means by a "trigger." My saxophone became a trigger. :(

/sob story

Retired Forum Moderator

Aw. :( The teacher obviously expected nothing from her students. One of those; "You're all crap at music so I'll give you easy stuff and you will play it whether you like it or not."

Not a very open-minded teacher.

-------

There seems to be an interest in that story. Very well then.

It's not a very long story or all that complicated. It was back in 6th grade, I was really looking forward to learning music. The school offered music classes which lead into marching band so I joined up as my elective class. Well, that's when I met the teacher. Lets put it this way. There was no such thing as a good mood with her. There was only 2 moods: I'm in a bad mood, play your damn music, and I'm in a really bad mood so you all are going to be in a bad mood with me. Her mood was almost always the latter. Next up, there was absolutely no encouragement from her. If she wasn't talking about how much you were messing up the song, she probably wasn't talking. She even went as far as to punish students for playing songs that weren't in the issued music book. I was even sent to detention once when I taught myself how to play the schools anthem on my own. Claimed "I was a disruptive influence" which totally makes sense, you know, seeing as the class hadn't even started yet and there were only 3 other people in the room at the time.

And you know what was in those issued music books? Mary had a little lamb, Jingle bells, Shalom, the easiest songs in the world to play. And not even the whole song. 2 lines. Only 2 lines AT MOST of the easiest songs in the world. I was bored out of my mind in those classes. On top of all of that, she was terrible at teaching anything at all. The most I learned from her was how to read a few types of notes. The rest I learned on my own, and boy did she not like that. All the other students music was off key, had no life, no emotion. Just a poorly played song made by a wind machine. And she did NOTHING to try and fix this. Absolutely nothing.

It got so bad that the year after I dropped out of the music program. I couldn't stand to spend another hour in the same room with that person, let alone every school day for 4 more years. It was so bad that for years after I couldn't even open my saxophone case without being reminded of everything that horrible teacher did to absolutely butcher music for me. Like it reduced me to tears one time I tried to play again it was that bad.

That's why I can't forgive that person. They destroyed my love for music for about 5 years with how badly that affected me.

So that's what Tumblr means by a "trigger." My saxophone became a trigger. :(

/sob story

You could of reported her to the administration. I once had a lazy as shit health teacher who did nothing all day (not even teaching) and just ate food. I ended up telling other staff members of the school and soon enough he was fired.

On a slightly unrelated subject this is also why I think school unions are a terrible fucking idea.

Well she eventually was fired but by that time I was too old to be allowed to resume the classes. Which was also BS. Oh well. I can always pick it back up again. Wouldn't be the first time I taught myself something because the teachers decided not to.

Retired Forum Moderator

Aw. :( The teacher obviously expected nothing from her students. One of those; "You're all crap at music so I'll give you easy stuff and you will play it whether you like it or not."

I'll agree, not very open-minded at all. I'd complain to the school if she were my teacher.

Well she eventually was fired but by that time I was too old to be allowed to resume the classes. Which was also BS. Oh well. I can always pick it back up again. Wouldn't be the first time I taught myself something because the teachers decided not to.

You gotta try the sax again. You got talent, i'm sure you have, and now you got no one like your teacher to stop you.

Welp, now what?

I'll agree, not very open-minded at all. I'd complain to the school if she were my teacher.

I always had a far more disruptive way of complaining... I did whatever it was even more... And all the way to the principal's office.

You gotta try the sax again. You got talent, i'm sure you have, and now you got no one like your teacher to stop you.

I agree... Maybe I'll go back to trying to learn the Trombone again too. (my mom wasn't the friendliest of teachers for that, she ended up standing on my chest when I was 11 just to get me to breathe from the gut)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Do any of you guys use some sort of track to listen to when going to sleep? I like, play a heartbeat track, or rain and thunder video on my phone, tuck it under my pillow and let my hearing do all the relaxation for me. XP So beautiful and calm.

-------

I'm always listening to music (unless it's rude to do so, like when I'm working in the front, unless you count the radio station that's playing for everyone), thus the playlist I listen to during my time off, I keep playing on my computer (through speakers), it's loud enough for me to hear it, but no one else, the exception's during the summer, cause I need the fan on to cool me down (in the summer it can get pretty warm in the basement/my room, and in the winter, it can get pretty cold down here, thus a space heater is needed), during the summer, I still have music playing on my computer, even though I can barely hear it (long explanation), I might find a 1+ hour playlist on my phone (which doubles as my alarm, which is plugged in it's charger), and listen to that. Some examples are: Fight Club OST, Final Fantasy - All Other Battle Themes, Symphony No. 9 ~ Beethoven, Hail To The Thief (Radiohead), and my Youtube Playlist.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

So, laying in bed finally after 48 hours of working. Like, literally. Give or take about 3-4 hours in total for eating and short breaks. And even longer continuously awake. I woke up at 10 am Friday, showed up at a local hosted sight for the Global Game Jam at 6 pm, began officially working on my groups project at 8pm. This was technically an experience for me. The event hosted at the location I went to is sponsored by Monster Energy. I can't stand that stuff. the caffeine levels in that actually make my heart beat hurt. So instead I tried something I've heard about and showed up with a personal supply of 6 Neuro Sonics. I admit I underestimated these things. Probably all the more reason that consuming 5 over the past three days was not my brightest of ideas. It's almost 1 am monday and I'm only now coming down from the most energy I've found myself with in years. And given that my energy is finally coming down and I still feel better than some times when I only missed 1 night of sleep I'm gonna actually sleep now.

But before I go, I made a thing. I'm proud of it even if it is the living embodiment of poor coding practice. I learned how to start, now all I have to do is redo it, refine it, and rewrite it until I can do it whenever I need it.

ItOnlyLooksAdvanced_zps1zzehqni.gif

Night. I may somehow still not feel super tired but the audio/visual hallucinations starting to creep in tell me I better sleep.

Retired Forum Moderator

Do any of you guys use some sort of track to listen to when going to sleep? I like, play a heartbeat track, or rain and thunder video on my phone, tuck it under my pillow and let my hearing do all the relaxation for me. XP So beautiful and calm.

My most common sleep music:

Soundtrack from the movie Moon. (it's by Clint Mansell)

The soundtrack from Age of Empires 2.

Disturbed - Asylum

Disturbed - Indestructible

Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons - 20 Greatest Hits

A7X - Hail to the King

Lynyrd Skynyrd - God & Guns

Seether - Isolate & Medicate

Pink Floyd

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

A selection of music by Sam Gorski. (the main guy from CorridorDigital along with Niko)

Devour The Day - Time and Pressure

We As Human - We As Human

Led Zeppelin - Mothership (it's a 'best of' album)

Soundtrack from Bastion.

That's my current short list.

Neuro Sonic

Niacin high.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Usually the playlist on my computer, which is a weird amalgamation of game soundtracks and classic rock (and lots of mood whiplash if you leave it on shuffle). Find it hard to sleep without some sort of background music.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

The soundtrack of my sleep would be:

My playlist of some ABBA songs

The Endless River - Pink Floyd

On An Island - David Gilmour (the guitarist from Pink Floyd btw)

A Trick of the Tail - Genesis

The Six Wives Of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman

I'm a freak for Prog rock, same thing for instrumentals, (with a little pop in the case of ABBA) and these are my choice of sleep music, especially "The Endless River" and "Six Wives".

Welp, now what?

Birthday comes around and I'm the only person in this house not sick. This is ominous.

No. You're going to get hit with something much, MUC worse. You'll wake up on your birthday with cancer or something. (My sick sense of humour)

-------

No, I just got a trip to Best Buy for my birthday. Grabbed some games I was interested and that's it (whew)

Retired Forum Moderator