General Chat

Bugger all. X3 It was really used as just a fun sort of thing.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

I stole one of Ross's lines today. "Strange that it doesn't have a fear response, most animals have that. I guess the thought of something kicking its ass just confuses it." Didn't even realize I was quoting Freeman's Mind until after I said it. We were doing a campaign, and our party killed a T-Rex. And it just didn't seem to understand it was in danger. Like, at all. I mean, you'd think it'd try to get away when it gets a serious injury, but there was half a minute between us breaking its leg and breaking its other leg that it could have gotten away from us, and it didn't even try.

Then again, maybe I'm overthinking it and Justin just didn't consider how the animal would actually behave.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

I'm going to assume this is some sort of tabletop game? XD

I've used freeman's mind quotes from time to time and it's usually me saying it because it feels right before I realize I'm even referencing something. I just can't consciously reference something, it has to happen on it's own.

Retired Forum Moderator

I have to hold back most of the references I make, because I know most people I hang out with would not get them, and probably think I'm crazy or something.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I just saw that Woah_G's 4th Accursed Farms Membership Anniversary is today.

It's also Username's birthday today.

"FUCK YOU REALITY!!YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!!!"

"Hark! Dost thou hear with thine ears what I hear with mine? Interloper! No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend! Anon! Show thyself, churl!"

http://myanimelist.net/profile/MantisDude

Man, coding is weird and the tutorials are no exception.

I'm looking up this tutorial on generating a random maze that fits into a 20x20 grid, has no inaccessible areas, and all the paths are 1 grid unit wide. I'm following along relatively well, as well as reading it without following along in my own project allows but this tutorial just did some voodoo magic or something. I'm following along and there's progressive screenshots to show the errors o a functioning but incomplete code and then he adds like 2 or 3 functions totaling about 15 lines of code and then boom, maze complete. What.

I'm gonna have to follow along with this in an actual project because I have no idea how what he added turned a randomly generated mess with broken walls and gaping empty sections into this perfect beautiful maze.

Retired Forum Moderator

I would love to code, however, every time I tried learning, I would get lost, and confused, just like you with your random maze. Another problem I have, is figuring out what to code, and how to code it, you know? I did some coding back in 9th and 10th grade, and I had a lot of fun doing it. In 9th, our big final project was to make a calculator. I even had some fun with mine, where if you put in 2+2, the answer would read 5. I also had a "vanish" button, once pressed, all buttons would hide, and only one button would appear, reading "reappear". It did what you think it would do (not literally). Sadly it seems like my coding skills are gone or something. If I had a proper tutorial and/or working buddy that could help me out, that would be great.

On a side note, I've had similar tutorial issues with other projects, like with SFM, and Hammer.

Lastly, another thing I would love to do, but lack the means to do so (money included) is robotics. Like with coding, I had a blast doing it in 12th grade.

I would love to code, however, every time I tried learning, I would get lost, and confused, just like you with your random maze. Another problem I have, is figuring out what to code, and how to code it, you know? I did some coding back in 9th and 10th grade, and I had a lot of fun doing it. In 9th, our big final project was to make a calculator. I even had some fun with mine, where if you put in 2+2, the answer would read 5. I also had a "vanish" button, once pressed, all buttons would hide, and only one button would appear, reading "reappear". It did what you think it would do (not literally). Sadly it seems like my coding skills are gone or something. If I had a proper tutorial and/or working buddy that could help me out, that would be great.

On a side note, I've had similar tutorial issues with other projects, like with SFM, and Hammer.

Lastly, another thing I would love to do, but lack the means to do so (money included) is robotics. Like with coding, I had a blast doing it in 12th grade.

Coding is weird to get into because it's hard to motivate yourself when you don't know enough to really do much with it but at the same time you can't learn unless you actually do stuff. I wish I could help give advice on how to pick all that up again but I doubt my method of raw ADHD fueled persistence in what I find interesting is gonna work for very many people. :x The closest I could suggest is grab Unity since it's free and dive into it's massive world of documentation and tutorials.

And if that maze tutorial taught me anything it taught me how to organize project-wide data and function calls which I was so grateful for that I went and subscribed to the guys Patreon. XD I learn so much from this guy even if he's a wizard of the programming world. Least I could do is send him 5 courtesy dollars every time he makes a new tutorial.

Retired Forum Moderator

Soo... how's life been, guys? :3 Pretty swell? I hope so.

(Happy Belated Birthday Username!)

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

Doing great, I think. Started a Low Level Initial Equipment challenge for Final Fantasy 7.

5Er3n41h4_M

I sure could use more views, likes, and subscribers....

Not sure what I would upload after completing the challenge.

I'm going to start writing creepypasta-style horror stories. The only twist being it's all going to be taking place in my own tabletop's universe, in the few years before Earth was fully merged into the rest of the universe. Which means the weirdness of the rest of the universe is beginning to slowly bleed through, and these are just isolated supernatural incidents in what is, as far as the people living in it know, a totally normal Earth in the 2010s.

Hopefully, somebody is interested, and I'll post a link to it when I get the first one up. If not, oh well, it was worth a shot.

I'm interested. :3 I'd love to give it a read.

-------

Alright, well, the idea just popped into my head this morning so it'll probably be a day or two, but I'll link to it once it's up. First step is, of course, deciding where to post it.

I'm interested as well... You could just post it in a thread specifically for that here in the FFA section.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I'd give it a read to sometime. Maybe not right away since I'm backed up on more than a few stories I really want to pick up again.

Retired Forum Moderator