FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 59

FM59.jpg

(Downloadable copy will be up later)

Freeman's Mind continues! This episode got delayed more than I intended, but I've been working ahead as well. I hope #60 isn't too far behind.

I made some adjustments to this episode based on how the last one went. The first is I increased the field of vision, something I should have done in the last episode, but didn't notice it being a problem until it was a little too late. For some reason, it never registered in my brain, even though I knew something was wrong. This episode has been adjusted from the default 90 degrees for Uplink to 106, so it should more closely match the previous ones from HL: Source.

The other big change made is based on the feedback from the last episode, I decided to drop Freeman's morphine tripping as many people were finding it annoying. While I try my best, I see no reason to adhere to consistency if it hurts the overall impact of the show, so this episode is much more the standard Freeman you're probably used to. Afterall, it wouldn't be the first inconsistency. Speaking of which, this episode has another consistency shortcoming because of an invisible wall, but I didn't want to re-record the whole episode because of it, so you can think of it as an easter egg. While I never plan to sacrifice the writing or voice acting quality, in general my attitude towards bugs and other errors in the show is to just keep moving forward.

On that note, more Freeman's Mind is coming, though I may try to squeeze in some more Game Dungeons if I can, it will be a bit of juggling act. In the meantime, this episode has one of my favorite endings in a while.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

More Game Dungeons? I love RGD, but you do realize how much of Half-Life is left, right? If you failed to complete Half-Life by the end of the year, I would take it as an honest mistake and wouldn't hold it against you, but I'm not sure if I can say the same for the vast bulk of your viewers. I wouldn't want you to hurt your source of income; you're already running out of time. :(

More Game Dungeons? I love RGD, but you do realize how much of Half-Life is left, right? If you failed to complete Half-Life by the end of the year, I would take it as an honest mistake and wouldn't hold it against you, but I'm not sure if I can say the same for the vast bulk of your viewers. I wouldn't want you to hurt your source of income; you're already running out of time. :(
You can't stop the Freeman.

The other big change made is based on the feedback from the last episode, I decided to drop Freeman's morphine tripping as many people were finding it annoying

Oh :( I kinda found high Freeman to be quite funny. Didn't expect it to last a whole long, but it was good fun.

I'd actually like to see an intoxicated Freeman entering Xen (or better yet, getting intoxicated on something he found in Xen, possibly from Gonarch's spittle or something). Either way, do what you like Ross, and thanks for another great episode :)

That was a great episode. All the episodes are great though so I'm not sure on what scale of great-ness this falls.

I remember that level with the headcrab zombie dragging the guard and the scientist, but that's because I broke it. I entered the map from the wrong end somehow and I guess it broke the scripting and was able to save these two:

3JuMekZ.jpg

mSwRvcm.jpg

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

That

Was

Awesome

I've never played the demo so this was my first time watching it... I've gotta say, its awesome to watch FM without knowing the game's script. You make everything awesomer, Gordon

This episode was magnificent. I'm glad Freeman stopped tripping on morphine as well, but you don't have to treat that as a continuity error, the morphine just wore off. Freeman clearly didn't take enough to be high for that long and the life or death situations he's been encountering at increasing frequency will have sobered him up. Can't wait for the next episode, you left it on a hell of a cliff hanger!

the ending was shocking................... literally!!!!

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Don't you guys feel "I hate you and Im going to go kill your whole family now", at 11:15, pointed towards Gonarch, because I swear that was what he was aiming at. (For those who don't know - Gonarch or Big Momma is kind of the Mothership of the headcrabs and Freeman has to fight her in Xen)

Possible foreshadowing to HL2 with the headcrab comments?

Either way, loved this episode. One of my favs so far.

my toughts exactly- "i can always count on you guys to stay terrible. Simple and terrible."

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Which comments are you referring to?

He mentioned it would be just his luck if they figured out later on the headcrabs are actually tasty food or could be used as pets. Both of those things happen in HL2.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Best. Episode. Ever.

I'm glad you are still doing these and when you get to the end, I'll love to go through them all in a very LONG marathon.

You beat me to it! :D

Anyway, great episode as always, Ross. Freeman's response to the Gargantua was the best moment. I thought he would have commented on Gman.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

I think he was so distracted by the gargantua killing the scientist and the guard that he just didn't see the G-man. After all, Freeman was next and, while we can't stop the Freeman, the gargantua can.

Or maybe more locked doors. ;)

Either way, one of my more favorite episodes! When Freeman was climbing the ladder and saw the soldier being pulled and he said, "Ah hah! Someone's spying on me! I knew it!" I laughed for a solid minute. And the ending was just superb!

On a more administrative note: Subtitles are just about done and I'll have them ready in about an hour. Stay tuned folks! :D