FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 60

Well, to give a defense to the "Russian Roulette" teleporters, how else would you set them up? You have that tower that you need to climb, and the whole point of this was to test teleporters, so ladders would just ruin the experiment. Moving platforms does make some sense, although, yeah it's dangerous. The best way would just have a huge room with each teleporter on ground level, but eh.

When I played Half-Life for the first time, I wondered if people working there had to do this every day to get to their offices/labs. There really is no other way to get to the upper level.

Then again, it might be an alternative to coffe. You either arive at work awake and focused, or you're dead.

There's probably another way up there that's just sealed off. That, or under normal operating procedures, the teleportation tower produces a single set of teleport balls that lead between the top and bottom.

Maybe that's how that many HEV suited people ended up dead in Xen, imagine parties being thrown at the chamber of the last teleportator and some drunken scientists going and playing russian roullette on the reactor, or some sort of ''teamwork and bonding'' activity organized by the HR department in Xen, just to increase budget demand or something... That would explain a lot of what is seen down the road.

These last episodes have been really memorable, specially the uplink duo. What comes is gonna be historic.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Thanks!

As to the teleporter tower, perhaps the rotating platforms are not actual "platforms" at all but Gordon is using them as it to ascent the tower in a way you're not supposed to ascend. Perhaps the "platforms" are just a way to power the teleportation balls similar to a turbine. Or they could be used to test the "timing" of the teleportation.

Can't remember if I've said so, but this is one of my favorite episodes in a long, long time; first time in a while an episode's caused me to binge earlier episodes.

I f.. whatever... agree with that.

Great episode, right up in the top five.

It's one of these episodes that feel very short for being really fun.

Maybe cause i'm one of the people who commented on looking forward to it. :)

Well, to give a defense to the "Russian Roulette" teleporters, how else would you set them up? You have that tower that you need to climb, and the whole point of this was to test teleporters, so ladders would just ruin the experiment. Moving platforms does make some sense, although, yeah it's dangerous. The best way would just have a huge room with each teleporter on ground level, but eh.

When I played Half-Life for the first time, I wondered if people working there had to do this every day to get to their offices/labs. There really is no other way to get to the upper level.

Then again, it might be an alternative to coffe. You either arive at work awake and focused, or you're dead.

There's probably another way up there that's just sealed off. That, or under normal operating procedures, the teleportation tower produces a single set of teleport balls that lead between the top and bottom.

And/or since the invasion started, they set it up with all the balls active so they could have places to hide from aliens.

I really liked the remark about the conservation of momentum, this reminds me of the difference between the Aperture Science portal technology (where momentum is conserved) versus the Black Mesa teleportation technology. I think it would be hilarious to see what happens if the Freeman somehow ends up in Chell's body and meets the evil supercomputer, comments on the experiments...

\

"What the hell? Fucking BREEN is in charge?"

"Tell me Dr. Freeman, if you can. You have destroyed so much. What is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one fucking thing?"

"Good job Gordon, throwing that switch and all, I can see your M.I.T. education really fucking pays off."

"What fucking cat?"

That's my contribution. I love it when Freeman is angry and all, but like morphine, it should be given in small dosages.

"Here, let me fucking buy you a drink."

"Oh, fucking fiddlesticks."

"It's your pet, the freaking head-fucking-humper."

"Get out of City 17 as fast as you fucking can, Gordon."

My contribution.

"FUCKING HAAAAAAX!!"

"Now... About that fucking beer I owed ya. It's me, Gordon! Barney, from fuckin' Black Mesa!"

"What are you doing?! No! Stop! You fucking need me..."

"Rise and shine, Mister Freeman, rise and fucking shine. Not that I wish to imply you've been fucking sleeping on the job, and no motherfucker is more deserving of a rest... And all the goddamn effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well... let's just say your fucking hour has... come again... The right bitch in the wrong place can make all the difference in the fucking world... So wake up, Mister Freeman... Wake up and smell the shitty ashes."

"Welcome, welcome, to fucking City 17. You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers. I thought so much of City 17, that I elected to establish my goddamn administration, here, in the citadel, so thoughtfully provided by our fucking benefactors."

My dragged out contribution.

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

From what I can tell, you all need editors. (I am an editor for instance)

Example:

Original; "Rise and shine, Mister Freeman, rise and fucking shine. Not that I wish to imply you've been fucking sleeping on the job, and no motherfucker is more deserving of a rest... And all the goddamn effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well... let's just say your fucking hour has... come again... The right bitch in the wrong place can make all the difference in the fucking world... So wake up, Mister Freeman... Wake up and smell the shitty ashes."

Result; "Rise and fucking shine, Mister Freeman, rise and fucking shine. Not that I wish to imply you've been sleeping on the fucking job... No motherfucker is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the goddamn world would have gone to fucking waste until... Well... Let's just say your hour has fucking... Come again... The right motherfucker in the wrong place can make all the difference in the motherfucking world... So wake up, Mister Freeman... Wake up and smell the fucking shit."

All said in the voice of Samuel L. Jackson.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Example:

Original; "Rise and shine, Mister Freeman, rise and fucking shine. Not that I wish to imply you've been fucking sleeping on the job, and no motherfucker is more deserving of a rest... And all the goddamn effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well... let's just say your fucking hour has... come again... The right bitch in the wrong place can make all the difference in the fucking world... So wake up, Mister Freeman... Wake up and smell the shitty ashes."

Result; "Rise and fucking shine, Mister Freeman, rise and fucking shine. Not that I wish to imply you've been sleeping on the fucking job... No motherfucker is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the goddamn world would have gone to fucking waste until... Well... Let's just say your hour has fucking... Come again... The right motherfucker in the wrong place can make all the difference in the motherfucking world... So wake up, Mister Freeman... Wake up and smell the fucking shit."

Pulp Fiction said it best:

mjQZNkiY7ds

I kid, of course. As far as I'm concerned speech is very flexible, even when being written. People tend not to speak with perfect accuracy. Especially the Gman. :mrgreen:

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Example:

"Rise n' fuckin shine, Mista Freeman, rise n' fuckin shine. Not dat I wish ta imply you've been chillin on tha fuckin thang... No motherfucker is mo' deservin of a rest, n' all tha effort up in tha goddamn ghetto would have gone ta fuckin waste until... Well... Letz just say yo' minute has fucking... Come again... Da right motherfucker up in tha wack place can make all tha difference up in tha motherfuckin ghetto. Right back up in yo muthafuckin ass... Right back up in yo muthafuckin ass. So wake up, Mista Freeman... Wake up n' smell tha fuckin shit."

He who fights drummers

So, something I just thought of: Freeman has been doing heavy physical activity for well over a day without drinking any water. It's a small thing, but since this series strives to be less "video game-y" and mock common video games tropes, it seems weird that Freeman would go on for so long without drinking anything, especially when there have been multiple chances to explain that by having him drink from water fountains or vending machines.

So, something I just thought of: Freeman has been doing heavy physical activity for well over a day without drinking any water. It's a small thing, but since this series strives to be less "video game-y" and mock common video games tropes, it seems weird that Freeman would go on for so long without drinking anything, especially when there have been multiple chances to explain that by having him drink from water fountains or vending machines.

Have you forgotten all that water he swam in in the core?

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Here's another bit of fridge horror-y thought I came up with a while ago (though whether it contradicts anything in FM I cannot remember, I'm sort of half-asleep here):

Gordon Freeman was born in Seattle. He went to college at M.I.T. and spent some time at the University of Innsbruck before getting the job at Black Mesa. As far as I know, those are all fairly temperate climates.

So he moved into the middle of a desert. Chances are he spent most of his time inside the air-conditioned building and didn't have much chance to get acclimated to the heat. During the events of Half-Life, he runs around the desert in a heavy metal suit.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Here's another bit of fridge horror-y thought I came up with a while ago (though whether it contradicts anything in FM I cannot remember, I'm sort of half-asleep here):

Gordon Freeman was born in Seattle. He went to college at M.I.T. and spent some time at the University of Innsbruck before getting the job at Black Mesa. As far as I know, those are all fairly temperate climates.

So he moved into the middle of a desert. Chances are he spent most of his time inside the air-conditioned building and didn't have much chance to get acclimated to the heat. During the events of Half-Life, he runs around the desert in a heavy metal suit.

In all fairness, the HEV suit has an automatic medical system, health management, tracking devices, radiation shielding, protection from bullets, weapons management, a long jump module, a HUD, a radio (In HL2, at least), explosive damage protection, crush damage protection, oxygen deprivation protection, Geiger counter, and a flashlight. I don't think it's too out of bounds to believe that it contains a cooling system.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

In all fairness, the HEV suit has an automatic medical system, health management, tracking devices, radiation shielding, protection from bullets, weapons management, a long jump module, a HUD, a radio (In HL2, at least), explosive damage protection, crush damage protection, oxygen deprivation protection, Geiger counter, and a flashlight. I don't think it's too out of bounds to believe that it contains a cooling system.

and with the medical system able to readily administer morphine, it may be connected to Gordon with an IV that gives him a saline solution if he is dehydrated.

You know, I always assume that his suit has the functionality to ....let him drink his own urine. After all he doesn't seem to stop to pee.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

You know, I always assume that his suit has the functionality to ....let him drink his own urine. After all he doesn't seem to stop to pee.

X3 That's gross.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D