FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 60

You know, I always assume that his suit has the functionality to ....let him drink his own urine. After all he doesn't seem to stop to pee.

X3 That's gross.

Look at the Stillsuit from Dune... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_of_the_Dune_universe#Stillsuit

I would assume the HEV suit would have similar functionality. (you get to drink a combination of your own sweat, urine, and feces)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Well, OK, I could definitely do with much less swearing. At least less F-bombs.

Fuck this. It is not Ross Scott's responsibility to ensure you can show Freeman's Mind to your entire family, and if you are personally made uncomfortable by swearing, I have no words for you. Except "fuck".

I dunno, man. It's just easier for it to be swear free, cause then you can show it to anyone you damn want without offending anybody. X3 I don't mind swears but I think swears CAN be worked around. Although swearing can be very funny at times, I don't think something should be SHOWERED with swears. Ross does a good job so far with keeping it not too clean and not too showered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDGoWNXq7hg

Deus ex teleport! This may have been shorter than the past few episodes, but it was still incredibly funny and I can't argue with where you left it. I'm glad you're not just skipping areas; even if an area in Half Life seems contrived I think most of us want the full experience. Skipping or editing out glitches I understand, but if it's an aspect of the actual game or a line of ridiculous dialogue I say let Freeman experience it. Some of the funniest moments of the series have been Freeman trying to rationalize parts of the game that make no sense. The best part about the way the previous cliffhanger was resolved is it wasn't even completely out of no where. Looking back on it, Freeman saw what we understood to be the teleporters and over the course of ep 59 was experiencing "sounds of green" so it was a really clever way for Freeman to escape Old Flamethrower Hands, I never got this far playing Half Life, so it's exciting experiencing these things as Freeman is.

So, something I just thought of: Freeman has been doing heavy physical activity for well over a day without drinking any water. It's a small thing, but since this series strives to be less "video game-y" and mock common video games tropes, it seems weird that Freeman would go on for so long without drinking anything, especially when there have been multiple chances to explain that by having him drink from water fountains or vending machines.

Here's another bit of fridge horror-y thought I came up with a while ago (though whether it contradicts anything in FM I cannot remember, I'm sort of half-asleep here):

Gordon Freeman was born in Seattle. He went to college at M.I.T. and spent some time at the University of Innsbruck before getting the job at Black Mesa. As far as I know, those are all fairly temperate climates.

So he moved into the middle of a desert. Chances are he spent most of his time inside the air-conditioned building and didn't have much chance to get acclimated to the heat. During the events of Half-Life, he runs around the desert in a heavy metal suit.

So he was born in Seattle? he may have come on up to Canada (specifically Vancouver alot) since hey its close to Seattle

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Here's his biography from the Orange Box Prima Guide:

A native of Seattle, Washington, Gordon Freeman showed great interest and aptitude in the areas of quantum physics and relativity at a young age. His earliest heroes were Einstein, Hawking, and Feynman.

While a visiting student at the University of Innsbruck in the late 1990s, Gordon Freeman observed a series of seminal teleportation experiments conducted by the Institute for Experimental Physics. Practical applications for teleportation became his obsession. In 1999, Freeman received his doctorate from M.I.T. with a thesis paper entitled Observation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement on Supraquantum Structures by Induction through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal of Extremely Long Wavelength (ELW) Pulse from Mode-Locked Source Array.

Disappointed with the slow pace and poor funding of academic research—and with tenure a distant dream—Gordon looked for a job in the private sector. As fortune would have it, his mentor at M.I.T., Professor Isaac Kleiner, had taken charge of a research project being conducted at a decommissioned missile base in Black Mesa, New Mexico. Kleiner was looking for a few bright associates, and Gordon was his first choice. Considering the source and amount of funds available to the Black Mesa Labs, Gordon suspected that he would be involved in some sort of weapons research, but in the hopes that practical civilian applications would arise in areas of quantum computing and astrophysics, he accepted Kleiner’s offer. Apart from a butane-powered tennis ball cannon he constructed at age 6, Gordon had never handled a weapon of any sort—until the Black Mesa Incident.

After battling through a paradimensional rift to a final audience with a figure known only as the G-Man, Freeman agreed to work for him, hoping to become an aide for humanity in the process. It has been years since Gordon’s former (and surviving) colleagues have heard from him, and the world has certainly changed since then.

An epic struggle lasting days pitted Gordon against the increasingly alarming and tactical forces of the Combine on a journey across the blasted countryside, eventually through City 17 itself, and into the Citadel. With the help of colleagues both old and new, Gordon was able to bring about a chain of events that opened the possibility of the complete destruction of eldritch forces in the area. Except of course, for the bond Gordon unwillingly shares with the G-Man.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Here's his biography from the Orange Box Prima Guide:

A native of Seattle, Washington, Gordon Freeman showed great interest and aptitude in the areas of quantum physics and relativity at a young age. His earliest heroes were Einstein, Hawking, and Feynman.

While a visiting student at the University of Innsbruck in the late 1990s, Gordon Freeman observed a series of seminal teleportation experiments conducted by the Institute for Experimental Physics. Practical applications for teleportation became his obsession. In 1999, Freeman received his doctorate from M.I.T. with a thesis paper entitled Observation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement on Supraquantum Structures by Induction through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal of Extremely Long Wavelength (ELW) Pulse from Mode-Locked Source Array.

Disappointed with the slow pace and poor funding of academic research—and with tenure a distant dream—Gordon looked for a job in the private sector. As fortune would have it, his mentor at M.I.T., Professor Isaac Kleiner, had taken charge of a research project being conducted at a decommissioned missile base in Black Mesa, New Mexico. Kleiner was looking for a few bright associates, and Gordon was his first choice. Considering the source and amount of funds available to the Black Mesa Labs, Gordon suspected that he would be involved in some sort of weapons research, but in the hopes that practical civilian applications would arise in areas of quantum computing and astrophysics, he accepted Kleiner’s offer. Apart from a butane-powered tennis ball cannon he constructed at age 6, Gordon had never handled a weapon of any sort—until the Black Mesa Incident.

After battling through a paradimensional rift to a final audience with a figure known only as the G-Man, Freeman agreed to work for him, hoping to become an aide for humanity in the process. It has been years since Gordon’s former (and surviving) colleagues have heard from him, and the world has certainly changed since then.

An epic struggle lasting days pitted Gordon against the increasingly alarming and tactical forces of the Combine on a journey across the blasted countryside, eventually through City 17 itself, and into the Citadel. With the help of colleagues both old and new, Gordon was able to bring about a chain of events that opened the possibility of the complete destruction of eldritch forces in the area. Except of course, for the bond Gordon unwillingly shares with the G-Man.

Shame the guide never explained why he is silent since for all we know he is completely mute but we honestly dont know when or how he became that way all we know is Ross makes Gordon a real badass

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

I don't think Valve had decided Gordon was actually mute until Half-Life 2; prior to that he was just "mute" so you could imagine he sounded like you. You can see this in the Gearbox expansions, where the NPC lines indicate explicitly that the player character was talking to them, and you just didn't hear it.

I don't think Valve had decided Gordon was actually mute until Half-Life 2; prior to that he was just "mute" so you could imagine he sounded like you. You can see this in the Gearbox expansions, where the NPC lines indicate explicitly that the player character was talking to them, and you just didn't hear it.

I like this explanation. I think Gordon is not really mute. He's just a vessel for a player. This way you get into a character much more.

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I like this explanation. I think Gordon is not really mute. He's just a vessel for a player. This way you get into a character much more.

Actually, Gordon had a phone conversation with Black Mesa according to one of the manuals.

Actually, Gordon had a phone conversation with Black Mesa according to one of the manuals.

Well, how could they check who was really talking? 8-)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Isn't that Valve's official explanation?

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

This is always Valves answer to this kinda shit: Half Life 3 its Coming!

No, Gaben never says anything directly. It always goes like this:

Interviewer:

"Is half life three coming."

Gaben:

"We have no plans either way, however do not dismiss the idea."

Title of interview: HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED BY GABEN

I want to leave this here: gaben.tv I hope you're ready for a miracle.

Interviewer:

Gaben:

I cant listen to his drivel anymore unless we get some more concrete evidence about the next half life i still think those who say its been confirmed i ask for a release date they say nothing, i only want them to really conclude the series with a bang

Interviewer:

Gaben:

I cant listen to his drivel anymore unless we get some more concrete evidence about the next half life i still think those who say its been confirmed i ask for a release date they say nothing, i only want them to really conclude the series with a bang

It's not just Gaben; it's everyone. The fans, interviewers, and Valve work in perfect harmony to make a collision of the minds.

I really want Ross to be hired by Valve for Gordons Voice

Hes already made Freeman sound like a badass as his voice

I really want Ross to be hired by Valve for Gordons Voice

Hes already made Freeman sound like a badass as his voice

Gordon should never speak, but I wouldn't mind Ross doing the grunts Gordon makes when he falls. Or another character (Maybe shepherd, if he's reintroduced). Even some of the combine, as long as Ross is involved somehow.

Maybe then a certain bugfix regarding .avi files from 1996 will be added to the Source engine.

K, I'm looking at actual numbers here to make a rough estimate. In 60 episodes, Ross has gone through roughly 83 maps (3 of them from Uplink). There are 14 left in the story. If this rate of maps-to-episodes remains similar, there will be 10-11 more episodes in Half-Life 1. To complete this by the deadline, Ross would need to release roughly one episode a week for the rest of the year. Given all of this, I would not blame Ross at all if the final Half-Life 1 episode of Freeman's Mind didn't come out before the end of the year. It would certainly be preferable to cutting maps or half-assing episodes, things Ross has already said in more definitive terms he would not do.

Everything working out as intended would be awesome, though. :D

Well, given that episode 61 has apparently been taking over two weeks to edit, and Ross's estimate for the next Game Dungeon episode was off by over a week, the odds of him following through on his claim/promise aren't very good. I guess you CAN stop the Freeman...