ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: REVENANT

Unrelated to the video itself, but is there a reason that the Game Dungeon is still listed under "Other Videos" in the forums, and none of the episodes are listed under the "Movies" section?
It's me being behind on making its own section (along with other site updates). I'll fix that when I can, I've been making videos the priority lately.

So what you're saying is, if you don't deliver, you owe him 20 bucks?

But the reverse if you do?

That's exactly what I'm saying. This offer extends to everyone and it's not limited to $20.

Take this message as an invitation to ban me without argument; in the event that you don't ban me, I'll shut up anyway.
You don't have to shut up, you just have to bet at least $20 if you want to keep making comments along those lines. I feel like if I'm going to get a bunch of naysaying about it in my own forums, people can put their money where their mouth is. I will!

I really enjoyed this, as usual! And though I'm happy there's a confirmed Halloween Game Dungeon coming, I'm still kinda sad there won't be a 1 Year Anniversary episode on the 15th.
RGD has barely hit its potential anyway, I'd say expect a LOT more for 2015.

That's exactly what I'm saying. This offer extends to everyone and it's not limited to $20.

I'll take that! I'll donate $20 now, and if you lose, you have to donate another $20... Hows that sound?

I really enjoyed this, as usual! And though I'm happy there's a confirmed Halloween Game Dungeon coming, I'm still kinda sad there won't be a 1 Year Anniversary episode on the 15th.

Wait, it's been a year since the first GD?!?

Time is moving WAY too fast... Except when I'm looking at the release dates for some games I preordered, and for some I'm definitely going to buy when they get a release date and price.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

RGD has barely hit its potential anyway, I'd say expect a LOT more for 2015.

I'll keep watching every step of the way. I hope you have the time and resources to do everything you want next year!

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

I'll take that! I'll donate $20 now, and if you lose, you have to donate another $20... Hows that sound?

Sure, you're on.

What could possibly top CarnEvil? Looking forward to it.
Well I want to warn people ahead of time, I don't see this game TOPPING CarnEvil, CarnEvil is just amazing. I'm having to scale down on games to choose from due to time constraints, but I'll give you the best presentation I can for the game I'm picking.

Sure, you're on.

Good! Done! 8-)

Okay, so he's willing. To the Greater Gordon you go! :D

I laughed way harder at this than I probably should have.

Great review, Ross. Standalone videos are nice, but when you start getting into series, it's guaranteed to be a treat. It's a shame the game wound down near the end and just turned the last half into one giant maze, though. I hate mazes in general, but that sealed the deal for me. The music and slick-smooth character animations were what got me the most interested, anyway, and I can just listen to the OST on Youtube, so not that big a loss.

I also agree 100% on turn-based combat. In my life, the only turn-based RPG I have completed all the way without cheating was the original Final Fantasy, and even then it was a slog. Nowadays, if I'm interested in a game like that, I'll just watch a walkthrough online and skip to the story sections. Sure, it may feel awesome in a turn-based game when you can break out a huge attack that summons giant monsters or universe-destroying phenomena to decimate your enemies, but there's plenty of other games out there that can do that WITHOUT having to wait in line to swing your sword.

Also in turn-based games, it's usually mandatory for you to grind in order to even stand a chance against the next part of the game and I just do not care enough to plunge hours of my time into killing the same guys over and over. Revenant looks like it has that same problem, but at least you can control the fight to some degree and make it somewhat enjoyable.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Fantastic review Ross! Also, I've noticed how it seems to be a real pain to get games to work when they're old, but not quite old enough for DOSBox. It seems like anything after that point people are just "you're on your own, pal" and you have to hope gog.com gets it or something.

I guess the only turn based RPG I actually play properly is Pokémon. Though I have tried others like Fallout (1&2), Blades of Exile and Geneforge, I never seem to make it too far without going "screw it, I'll use cheats".

Ross, is your computer really that shit-tier that you can barely even run a game from 1999? How can you process Freeman's Mind at 720p if you cant even run that game? Let alone the Source engine for CP.

And Ross, can we bet "with the house", so if you do deliver we get a pool of your winnings?

More Ross Scott? Is it my birthday? Pretty close actually but because of this, today IS my birthday.

Btw, I don't mind if you don't get FM done by the end of the year. I think a lot of people are like me and contributed to the fundraiser because:

1. We like your videos. We just want to support the artist.

2. It is fun to watch the thermometer go up.

3. It is fun to watch the thermometer explode because we hit the top.

4. We wanted you to have the supplies you need to keep producing the quality materials you already produce.

5. Because it is Freeman.

6. Because FREEMAN HD?!!! YES. IT MUST HAPPEN.

Jokes aside, how about this for a game?

Not a bet per say, but here is what I am going to do.

$10 donated if Ross finishes Freeman's Mind of HL1. period.

OR

$20 instead for finishing before or on January 1, 2015

>:D

Anyone else who wants to follow suite is welcome.

Ross, is your computer really that shit-tier that you can barely even run a game from 1999? How can you process Freeman's Mind at 720p if you cant even run that game? Let alone the Source engine for CP.

Huh? Lots of old games have a ton of weird problems on newer machines. That's part of why gog.com exists, they do (sometimes only partially successful) magic to get the games running smoothly on newer systems.

Just wanted to say that the Game Dungeons are my favorite content Ross puts out, that this was an excellent episode and I very much look forward to seeing more. Thanks for all the content Ross, it's well appreciated.

Ross would only have to produce one Freeman's Mind episode per week to meet the deadline, assuming he works non-stop and the Halloween Game Dungeon episode takes less than a week. He's shown that he can produce episodes even faster than that, i.e. in the Power Up arc. So, he could probably be done with the first Half-Life game by December 31st, 2014.

Then again, considering how he just got $18,000+ in donations, it's not like a few $20 bets are really going to matter even if he can't.

Oh come on what's this hate against turn based combat?

It's methodical, reqiures strategy and tactical placement.

X-Com is a great example to this. The game benefits from being turn based, it wouldn't be fun it it was real time.

Have you also tried Fallout Tacitics? It has a real time mode which is super chatoic

and nearly unplayable. The moment you turn the game back to turn based it's fun again.

It took six years to get a physics degree. Don't do what I did, try engineering or social studies.

XCOM, Wasteland 2, Cyberstorm 2, and many others are great TBS games... If you enjoy that type of game. I personally do, but not to the exclusion of other game genres.

I'll hate on puzzle and repetitive games all day though.

Hey Ross, do you run these old games in a virtual environment? It looked like you were in post-XP Windows in the videos (Win7?). I've found VMs running very outdated OSes to be helpful at times for the most unstable games, although a lot of experimentation is required sometimes. Windows 98 seems to be a champ at getting old picky games to run for me. I'm not that familiar with the video capture side of things, but I wouldn't expect virtualization to impair your ability to record. Bonus: instead of a game that requires you to fix it every time you start it up by setting the same options repeatedly (like Revenant apparently did), you have a game that you resume immediately after restoring the saved machine state rather than having closed the game and shutdown the computer.

Revenant seemed like it had a good, though not trope-defying, underlying idea, and the execution just failed somewhere. That soundtrack is insanely good for the ultimate quality level of the game, BTW. Listening to it now.

I swear by Loki that if you ever have an open poll including suggestions for the topic of an upcoming RGD video, I will do everything in my power to make you play through the worst turn-based RPG I can find, just to spite you for trashing the whole genre like that. Or maybe a really old school text game, just to be a bastard; viewership be damned!

TEXT ADVENTURES FTW!!! lol

Try 'Gateway 2: Homeworld' on for starters...

Ross, i dont have money, but do you accept games as Stronghold: Crusader (original one) and Dead island: epidemic beta gift as bet? (total value of what i have offer is about 8 euros+??? euros)

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"