8-Bit Life: Horror Movies Podcast

To everyone: I've seen all the horrors mentioned on this page

Carpenters best film hands down is Escape from LA which was more or less like Pink Floyds The Last Cut (Both kind of deal with the hatred towards certain politicians, Escape deals with the watergate scandal to some extent and how carpenter felt like the government cant be trusted so he created a film more or less where a renegade has to rescue the president for whom he hates, The Final Cut was more or less about Roger Waters and his frustrations with Margaret Thatcher and the Falklands war and alot of what was going on in the early 80s)
I don't know, for me The Thing just blows away everything else by him, although Big Trouble In Little China is very good in an entirely different way. I watched Escape from LA again after I left LA in 2009. My favorite line from it is "this fucking city can kill anybody!"

I meant to say New York not LA, man ohh man I am such a blond sometimes, but both are great, New York was the one about the Watergate roughly, LA was more like a sequel to expand on what ever happened to Snake after New York

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

All my favorite horrors came out in the 80s: The Thing, The Fly, Re-Animator, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Day of the Dead, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Shining, Brain Damage, etc. But you've seen those.

Less popular films Ross may not have seen: Onibaba, Black Sunday, Schramm, Spoorloos (not strictly a horror but an extremely chilling film nonetheless).

Wow, you win, I've seen all the top ones you've mentioned, and none of the ones below it. And yeah the 80s were pretty awesome in terms of quality horror coming out, although I actually prefer the 50s version of The Fly, I think it's actually creepier than people might think for a movie of that era. The 80s remake didn't do so much for me, I guess it was too predictable, plus trying to make it a romance tragedy out of it rather than going more for the scares is what made me not like it as much.

I agree the original The Fly is very creepy but for me Cronenberg's remake is one of the greatest horror remakes of all time. When I first saw it as an impressionable teen I was absolutely terrified. It's just so gross and so tragic; something about it really gets under my skin. That said I haven't seen the original Fly for quite some time. I will be rewatching it soon.

On a different note have you seen Dead Heat or Night of the Creeps? Granted they are not super scary but they are two fine horror comedies of the 80s that I think went under the radar a bit. I really enjoyed both.

the greatest horror remakes of all time

Someone hasn't seen Little Shop Of Horrors. 8-) Get the Director's Cut and brace yourself for Motown.

Haha I've seen LSoH, both of them. Yes, the remake is great. I'm generally not a fan of musicals but I really enjoyed it. Feed me Seymour!