ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: THE LAST STAND

To start off with part one, I have something that may interest you, Ross. You can have the Source Engine output a bunch of .TIFF files, then compile them using VirtualDub. (I can't give you a link right now; I'm not at home.) There's a larger (total) file size, but no 4GB limit. AFAIK, Sony Vegas can use Lagarith, but support can be iffy at times. Not sure about HUffyUV. What I would do is get one of those new 8 (Or 10) TB HDDs and store the AVI files, demos and TIFFS (Should you choose to use them). I can't imagine the rest of FM taking more than 10TB, and you can still use the SSD, so there's no bottleneck.

For part 2: I thought YouTube used RGB, not YUV? I checked their advanced encoding documentation and I cannot find any mention of what they recommend, but I'll assume it's RGB. I mean, your AVIsynth script uses YUV, so that may be the problem. Have you tried finding any addons to Premiere Pro that increase compatibility for compressed AVI files? Sorry I'm not being too much help here.

Believe me when I say I don't mean this in a rude way whatsoever, but a lot of what you're saying either isn't applicable or else is wrong and it requires an explanation of two or more things to explain why. To give an analogy, it's like trying to get help with fixing the brake pads on a car and getting advice about anti-freeze to pour in the gas tank.

The part about Vegas being iffy with Lagarith is helpful information though, thanks. That means it's on similar footing as Premiere.

Most of the first part wasn't meant as an aswer to your first question. Really the only part that was an actual answer was the bit about Vegas. Sorry, I can get distracted sometimes, and it's especially obvious where I jump around sections in the second part. :|

Beyond that, I don't see what's wrong with my answer to the second question? I mean, if YouTube reencodes all non-RGB video to RGB, you're using YUV, and their encoding process is pretty rough, wouldn't you have problems?

No need to apologise, either. When I'm being a moron, please tell me. If I could afford it, I'd pay someone to smack me on the back of the head when I'm being stupid.

If I'm understanding the issues correctly (I think I am), Premiere Pro is having stability problems with compressed AVI files, and when you upload videos to YouTube the colors are slightly off because they change the colorspace during the compression and re-encoding phase of uploading, and the result is a slightly off-color video.

Please tell me what/if I got wrong, so I can give you a more comprehensible answer.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

I certainly wasn't expecting this. It was a nice trip down memory lane, though. I remember playing 1 and 2. I always thought it was awesome; it's what convinced me that free Flash games could be genuinely good. I agree with most of what you stated in the video.

Speaking of the video itself: another good, solid episode of the Game Dungeon, with sufficient amounts of review material and a perfect blend of offhand funny comments. For some reason, the part that had me laughing the hardest was "Really? Look at them. Look at this guy!". So, in short, it was pretty much a standard episode of this show.

[warning: irrelevant rant incoming that has little to do with the video, only the first six or so minutes. Most people probably won't care]

About the zombie craze: my theory for why zombies are so popular is because they're weak. Now, hear me out. Everyone wants to imagine that they're a badass who is above everyone else and can take out hundreds of guys on their own. But then reality smacks them in the face with the knowledge that there are tons of actual soldiers, police officers, and the like that are inevitably way, way more badass than them. On top of that, the most the average person can do against most world-ending threats is "die horribly".

Zombies don't follow that rule. A plague/science experiment/whatever swept over the land, turning everyone into zombies. Except you and a few other people. Because you're a special snowflake. And for some reason, the authorities can't handle it, they're all zombies too. Everyone more badass than you is likely a walking corpse. And said walking corpse is slow (usually), dumb, unarmed, and in very poor health. There's no real threat unless you get careless, or the corpse brings a truly absurd number of his friends. On top of that, everyone's dead, so there's no one around to tell you what you can and can't do, so go wild! You want that machine gun? You can have it! Wanna be king of your own band? Well there's no government around to stop you, so go ahead. Wanna slice people up with a chainsaw? Well almost everyone besides you is a parasite, and no one has a gun or anything, so feel free to do so. On top of THAT, zombies are already dead (even the technically living ones may as well be), so you don't have to deal with the obvious moral issues. Humans really don't like to kill other humans. We're hard-coded not to do it. Zombies, on the other hand? They're fair game.

Abridged: the zombie apocalypse is an escapist fantasy where regular people can do whatever they want and feel like badasses by slaughtering monsters that can barely fight back, even though those monsters would die out after maybe a week in reality with no input from said regular people. In video games, they also offer a unique gameplay style, and provide an easy source of weak fodder that you don't really have to explain or expand upon.

Note: this isn't to say that these are the ONLY reasons people like zombie fiction. There are a lot of other reasons someone could enjoy it. I just think that, in general, this has a lot to do with the genre's wide appeal. Who hasn't imagined themselves in a zombie apocalypse at least once? Who hasn't thought that Tallahassee from Zombieland was really cool?

[the rant ends here]

Also: when you were first going over the whole "buy fuel" thing, the first game that came to mind for me was Clash of Clans.

Abridged: the zombie apocalypse is an escapist fantasy where regular people can do whatever they want and feel like badasses by slaughtering monsters that can barely fight back, even though those monsters would die out after maybe a week in reality with no input from said regular people.

As opposed to non-escapist fantasy. I've actually read non-esacapist fantasy. Like, where the heroine and her spunky sidekick die of thirst in the ventilation ducts while escaping their oppressive society. That's a real published story. I avoid stories like that like the plague, unless the antagonist is some kind of walking pile of charisma.

This was enjoyable epiosde but it felt darker than previous Halloween GD. And I didn't expect that feeling while hearing Ross recording some parts of it. Darker as Halloween episodes should be, I think....

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Hopefully this time you have actually gotten the game dungeon bug out of your system so I can give you $20 at the start of next year

Man, that's such a shame about the last game. I would love a super comprehensive tactical scavenging exploration based base building city simulator civilization building game. If only it weren't backed by awful BS paywall garbage.

Also, the zoomed out isometric thing is a bit of a turn off for me (which is also why I can't for the life of my get into Fallouts 1 and 2), but aside from that, all the ideas are there.

Oh, BTW, a bit of a follow up on last year's game dungeon in regards to games with haunted carnivals. TF2 can now be (temporarily) added to your list. This year's Scream Fortress event is all about a haunted carnival, and even includes a spooky bumper cars mini-game between matches.

On that note, they made a pretty funny comic about the back-stories for haunted carnivals.

http://www.teamfortress.com/bloodmoney/

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

this was a good episode Ross, I think CarnEvil was ur best soo far, still like the Game Dungeon, thats still going to be something i think is brilliant, it will always be that way, that and your content you deliver for us........love it all

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Hopefully this time you have actually gotten the game dungeon bug out of your system so I can give you $20 at the start of next year

I like how you're using the bet thing as an excuse to donate to Ross.

Personally I'd love to throw a few bucks his way, but considering I'm a minor, I can't exactly go pulling money out of my parents' wallets without permission, and there's no way they'd be up for donating to someone who's not technically in a worse financial position than us.

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

I actually started playing Union City because of this episode of GD. It's pretty cool so far, nothing like walking around in a hazmat suit killing zombies. I did have to go ahead and sign up for their site, just so I could save my games. Nice work, Ross.

Finally, I was going to include a joke about Candy Corn Oreo cookies, but found out at the last minute that South Park had also, so I decided to scrap it. This isn't the first time this has happened. I also had an idea for a Civil Protection episode involving Cthulhu and an offshore oil rig that they also beat me on.

It's OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDuMp2kDxos.

Ross, I'll take a shot at some of the technical questions.
I already use pr

-My scratch disk has already been pointing to the SSD, my GPU is overkill for Premiere, the previews aren't the problem, it's the streaming of the sheer amount of data. For example, the last episode was around 330GB uncompressed to open in Premiere. It loads completely fine off the SSD, but then I don't have a lot of extra room for additional capturing with that, it's a real juggling act. I don't know anything about speedgrade, I'm not sure that exists in CS5.

Beyond that, I don't see what's wrong with my answer to the second question? I mean, if YouTube reencodes all non-RGB video to RGB, you're using YUV, and their encoding process is pretty rough, wouldn't you have problems?
Literally the opposite. I use RGB (as do computer monitors), Youtube uses YUV and maybe does something in ADDITION to that.

If I'm understanding the issues correctly (I think I am), Premiere Pro is having stability problems with compressed AVI files, and when you upload videos to YouTube the colors are slightly off because they change the colorspace during the compression and re-encoding phase of uploading, and the result is a slightly off-color video.
Yes, this is right. I have two basic goals here:

1. Keep the filesize down as much as possible in recording / editing without losing image quality.

2. Get the end color on Youtube to look as close as possible to look like what it looks like on my screen when I play the game. This may involve artificially modifying the colors in a bizarre way to overcompensate for what Youtube is doinf.

Speaking of the video itself: another good, solid episode of the Game Dungeon, with sufficient amounts of review material and a perfect blend of offhand funny comments. For some reason, the part that had me laughing the hardest was "Really? Look at them. Look at this guy!". So, in short, it was pretty much a standard episode of this show.
That was my favorite part in editing also. Sometimes the way I envision something isn't always how it turns out, but that's one instance where it was exactly as I wanted it.

As for zombies, the "empowerment" games you're describing generally aren't my favorite, although they probably do appeal to a lot of people. I'm not the biggest fan of Left 4 Dead for example, which I feel like appeals to more the type you're describing.

This was enjoyable epiosde but it felt darker than previous Halloween GD. And I didn't expect that feeling while hearing Ross recording some parts of it. Darker as Halloween episodes should be, I think....
I plan for the next RGD to be much lighter in tone and almost no violence. I kind of like to cycle the variety in the episodes, I didn't really mean to have Revenant and The Last Stand back to back, it just turned out that way.

ersonally I'd love to throw a few bucks his way, but considering I'm a minor, I can't exactly go pulling money out of my parents' wallets without permission, and there's no way they'd be up for donating to someone who's not technically in a worse financial position than us.
Man, don't feel any guilt about that, I'm still sustaining myself from the previous donation money and I agree with your parents view on not having to donate to people with more money than them, it doesn't make any sense. Right now my income is hovering right around what someone would earn working full time minimum-wage, but I don't have to support 3+ people either. I never want people to send me money who are worse off than I am, I take a utilitarian view on most things.

Personally I'd love to throw a few bucks his way, but considering I'm a minor, I can't exactly go pulling money out of my parents' wallets without permission, and there's no way they'd be up for donating to someone who's not technically in a worse financial position than us.
Man, don't feel any guilt about that, I'm still sustaining myself from the previous donation money and I agree with your parents view on not having to donate to people with more money than them, it doesn't make it sense. Right now my income is hovering right around what someone would earn working full time minimum-wage, but I don't have to support 3+ people either. I never want people to send me money who are worse off than I am, I take a utilitarian view on most things.

I do feel a bit better about it now, thanks. My want to donate remains though.

I always feel bad when I can't support artists and creators that I love. One music artist that I like puts up some of their music for free, along with several buying options, and I always feel bad using the free link.

I realize that I need to think about keeping myself stable too, but in a year or two when I have a stable job and such, I really hope to give back to the people who have provided me with free entertainment for all these years.

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

I do feel a bit better about it now, thanks. My want to donate remains though.

I always feel bad when I can't support artists and creators that I love. One music artist that I like puts up some of their music for free, along with several buying options, and I always feel bad using the free link.

I realize that I need to think about keeping myself stable too, but in a year or two when I have a stable job and such, I really hope to give back to the people who have provided me with free entertainment for all these years.

If you can't donate, don't feel bad. Words of encouragement and support can go a long way, too.

Even better, tell people about it!

...I forgot how much I have spent and donated to indies I support...

*looks at passbook*

Oh... that's a lot. But damn I feel proud.

Edit: There are certain 'indies' that could be more well off or not as good as you think. Some can be obvious to spot. YouTube personalities are an example NOT to "donate" your money to. They've got sponsors. Then, there are indie games which are half-baked and lack any love in it, giving Steam Early Access a bad reputation when there are hidden gems among the goo. However, it's up to you to decide if something's a legit and worthy cause to advocate.

I like playing on standalone flash player as well, gives me more freedom.

Speaking of paywall, I've never quite understood why some people managed to get sucked into it when there are plenty of alternatives out there in the market. On trains and buses, I've seen plenty of commuters playing Farmville, Candy Crush etc. (even Candy Crush has a paywall...) and would nonchalantly tap on the 'Buy/Purchase' button. In the future, I might just research on that!

Sign in Tip-Top Variety store window reads, 'Bitch-Slapped-By-The-Invisible-Hand-Of-The-Marketplace Sale'.

You know ross i personally didn't think the review you did on union city was very fair, you were done after the lighting contrast pissed you off. I've played union city and thought it was great for a flash game. And yes, I did play it on the armor games website, i couldn't give two shits about the border lighting, i thought the gameplay was pretty well done. Please just don't be stingy because this is a flash game. Not all flash games are god awful. I know a lot on newgrounds which are awesome. Plasma burst 1 and 2 which had physics, body breaking and ragdolls, Madness: Project nexus Which had it's quirks but was an overall blast to play. Also in the game, if you haven't played much of it, You have more weapons than in any of the other last stand games. You have pistols, ARs, Anti-personel and anti-MATERIEL sniper-rifles, Shotguns automatic and pump, grenade launchers, rocket launchers, i could say what kind of guns their are in this game but i won't because the list is way too long. All i'll say is that they really went all out with gun variety instead of one model per category. So please ross, what was the actual gameplay like?

"The only real answer is to get drunk and set fire to things"

http://cache.armorgames.com/files/games/the-last-stand-union-12009.swf?v=1414886848 This might help with the full screen problem since it's only the .swf of the flash game and I "think" you can get the browser to go into full screen with it. I have no experience with screen recording so I don't know if full screen browsers won't work for you as well.
This gets you the yellow screen bug you saw in the video. This game seriously fights you from going full screen.

Very good episode! Never played this game before, but for some reason it most reminds me of Crimsonland, btw, has anyone played it? It's much more of an arkade, although it's very fun to play!

I guess you can add Payday 2 to the list of things with at least a zombie in it thanks to the Halloween update. Although

unlike the usual way you have to deal with zombies, you have to deal this one by not fighting it. Don't even look at it. If you can't see him, he can't see you.

I guess you can add Payday 2 to the list of things with at least a zombie in it thanks to the Halloween update. Although

unlike the usual way you have to deal with zombies, you have to deal this one by not fighting it. Don't even look at it. If you can't see him, he can't see you.

Payday 2 had the headless black dozer last year for Halloween. This year it's THE HEADLESS TITAN DOZER FROM HELL,

who sadly doesn't have a giant hammer made of safes.

That's actually just a problem with how the AI works and it will try to arrest you but it can't. Overkill fully expects you to fight them because they're evil.