30fps vs. 60fps videos

next 3 episodes by the end of today.

I think this section of the sentence caused a minor explosion of pleasure in minds of a lot of people . Or was it an implosion caused by anticipation?

I should clarify I didn't do all 3 in one day. I've been working nonstop ever since my move pretty much.
I mean, I know you promised to finish Half Life by December, but don't you think you're over-exerting yourself?

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Yeah, if you feel you need more time for making these episodes up to usual quality, don't rush it, most people will not blame you for breaking your promise to finish HL1 this year. Quality is more important than time of release.

Otto has disappeared, was waiting on sound editing help and recently got some from elsewhere. I'll have voicework done on the next 3 episodes by the end of today.

Cool. You had me worried that you were going to make an untenable schedule for a second there. While the voice work for the three episodes is done, what about the editing and footage? I presume the latter comes before the voice work, and the former still isn't done?

Do you know why Otto Dissappeared Ross? because he has done quite good with the sound, hopefully he hasnt died or something

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Otto has disappeared, was waiting on sound editing help and recently got some from elsewhere. I'll have voicework done on the next 3 episodes by the end of today.

Cool. You had me worried that you were going to make an untenable schedule for a second there. While the voice work for the three episodes is done, what about the editing and footage? I presume the latter comes before the voice work, and the former still isn't done?

Generally speaking, how it works is that Ross goes through the area, coming up with some ideas for what to say, then re-goes through the area recording it and leaving some time to remark on specific areas or events even if he doesn't actually know what to say there at the time. Then after that segment is recorded, he takes the video and comes up with the wording for the entire segment, records each line multiple times to get the best take, then compiles the best takes together into the segment. After that is done, he sends the footage and audio off to the audio editor (Otto or others) for leveling work and mixing in the audio from the game with the audio from Ross, as well as additional sounds such as elevator music that didn't appear in the original game.

When all that is done from Otto or the other audio editors, then it's compiled into a video and uploaded to Youtube.

Then some damned fool downloads the video, watches it, then types up everything said, and creates subtitles out it. ;)

You are almost completely right, except that Ross is efficient enough to send the footage to the editor the moment it's recorded,

so that he can work on the main sound effects while Ross is still recording the rest of the dialogue. Sometimes the sound is

finished before the main dialogue, unfortunately 90% of the time it is not... :(

Do you know why Otto Dissappeared Ross? because he has done quite good with the sound, hopefully he hasnt died or something

Oh man, I really appreciate your concern, but I am thankfully not dead. I may need to visit a doctor though because I heard that

getting diesel or hydraulic oil in open cuts on your skin can kill you if it gets in the blood stream. Point is, I just felt close to the

void because of a killer of a busy week, but I'm totally fine now and am getting back to mixing. I couldn't find the time to message

Ross, so he was left stranded with no idea of when I'd be back. I didn't mean to cause a stir among you guys, so I thought I should

say something and let you know it's okay. Also, thanks so much for your compliment.

:idea: Wonder if we'll see our first Xen episode tomorrow for HL2's 10th anniversary...

I promise you I did not forget this. I even planned my own online mini-event around the anniversary, but there was just no time

to fit it in. It would have been a really nice surprise and I'm sorry I couldn't make it. At least the next episode isn't far off now.

Well I am glad you didnt pass on or anything like that Otto, I always thought that you did great as a sound mixer.....and well hopefully you can get that situation with the open cut fixed properly since it would suck to lose someone whose done soo well with a show I have loved since 2007..........and Ross has made it such an amazing series that I cant stop laughing when I watch any classic episode

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

I dunno, I was kind of hoping Otto had died in some dark ritual to imprint his spirit and haunt the sound files of Freeman's Mind and RGD forever. It would really lend that extra oomph to Ross' work.

60 fps look sooo slick! Trailers in 60fps would be awesome, but normal videos are really barf-inducing.

Perhaps we just hard-wired by all that 24-30fps we watch all the time...

I dunno, I was kind of hoping Otto had died in some dark ritual to imprint his spirit and haunt the sound files of Freeman's Mind and RGD forever. It would really lend that extra oomph to Ross' work.

Haha, I would love to do that. It would probably be a lot easier to mix the episodes that way. I could be like the Nihilanth,

speaking to Freeman in haunting telepathy throughout the series!

Scott D. Betson, you're awesome, dude. Thanks a lot for the flattering kind words.

60 fps look sooo slick! Trailers in 60fps would be awesome, but normal videos are really barf-inducing.

Perhaps we just hard-wired by all that 24-30fps we watch all the time...

You may like some of the newer video game trailers that were recorded and released in 60FPS HD, though it means their filesize

is twice as large. They're actually very hard to find most of the time. http://www.gamersyde.com/ is a good place to go if you're

looking for a collection. I found the site when trying out the very huge Metal Gear Solid V trailer, which they actually received from

the Konami game producers themselves, since it wasn't released anywhere else. I guess it's too large to officially host.

well Otto, I just dont think Ross could have done the show properly without someone like you helping him out with it.....we all need help with things we arent masters of......heck if Ross needed a voice actor that needed to sound like Christopher Walken he can always ask me on here......if he needs someone who knows how to do audio engineering hes got you Otto

Hey could somebody help update me on the current status of 60fps Youtube? Is Chrome still the ONLY browser it works on? I've tried 60fps on Firefox and it's worst than 30fps because it does this accordian style stop-go motion that is awful. This is a problem because it means if someone was watching at 720 on a non-Chrome browser, the experience could actually be WORSE for them.

60 FPS only seems to work in the HTML5 player on my copy of Firefox 35.0b. Downside is it only presents at 720p max in HTML5. (doesn't affect FM though)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.