So, me and a friend are making a country..

Would you move here permanently with friends?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Would you move here permanently with friends?

• Yes!
    • No way.
    • Maybe, if you change some rules.

Sign in to follow this  

I detect hypocrisy...

Then you need to check your sensors since all I did was state the Liberal agenda's actions, and provided two separate sources for my statements.

No, you provided a source for the liberal-conservative vies on different issues (Which I felt were exaggerated) and provide a poll. Neither are sources that supported your statements.

The trouble is that investors will expect a return on their investment, which will not be possible unless there is some sort of wealth creation going on and a positive trade balance is maintained.

Like BTG said - there are number of possibilities to think of, like building high-tech fabs, hydroponic farms etc but the logistics and cost of raw materials, power and end products all need to be considered. You can build a wonderful factory producing great product but in such a remote location that the cost of moving stuff there and back will be so high that the product will not be able to compete in the market...

So, I guess, what I want to say is that to progress with your idea you need to think not simply about the ideal social structure but the hard economics as well. Otherwise, you won't find any investors willing to provide the capital.

An alternative will be to try to sustain it purely on charitable donations, but it is even more far-fetched and far from being free and writing your own rules you will find yourself completely under control and fulfilling the agenda of your main donors.

Regards

(Which I felt were exaggerated)

Your feeling do not change reality.

Neither are sources that supported your statements.

Then you're intentionally ignoring what is written in them, or you're incapable of reading.

So, I guess, what I want to say is that to progress with your idea you need to think not simply about the ideal social structure but the hard economics as well. Otherwise, you won't find any investors willing to provide the capital.

An alternative will be to try to sustain it purely on charitable donations, but it is even more far-fetched and far from being free and writing your own rules you will find yourself completely under control and fulfilling the agenda of your main donors.s

Yeah, that's the main thing when you're thinking about doing something based off of other people's money... Either you do it the way they want you to, or you pay them back more than they gave you.

The best Idea I can think of is finding someone willing to invest in a sort of arcology system, and doesn't expect a return on their investment. (there might be one or two, but they would likely not be enough to fully fund the project)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

(Which I felt were exaggerated)

Your feeling do not change reality.

Your reality, you mean. I can elaborate how I thought they were exaggerated if you PM me.

Neither are sources that supported your statements.

Then you're intentionally ignoring what is written in them, or you're incapable of reading.

What? Not really. They gave the "liberal" and "conservative" ideal of different issues, which did not support you views (except in a select few cases, but as noted the liberal viewpoints were exaggerated).

So you're still arguing about the Liberal agenda and their documented actions as being false or exaggerated, in a thread about this guy wanting to start an island country... And you're asking ME to PM you to continue? Go do what you want, but you're ignoring what is actually happening, just so you can show how ignorant you are about the current US political system.

Now, back to the topic... I can't find any decent publicized records about what the mineral content is on either of those islands, but Thorium mining might be possible.

So you're still arguing about the Liberal agenda and their documented actions as being false or exaggerated, in a thread about this guy wanting to start an island country.

Which you began...

And you're asking ME to PM you to continue? Go do what you want, but you're ignoring what is actually happening, just so you can show how ignorant you are about the current US political system.

Alright, fine. I'm out (of the thread), goodbye.

Can someone lock this thread? I'm going to take it as 'this thing isn't going to happen anytime soon unless someone decides to give me a lottery ticket and I win it.'

Cool idea on paper. But unfortunately thats as far as this might go. but would love to see it work otherwise. and for investors why not any private space company wishing to throw up some polar orbit satellites. Who knows spaceX might love it. There is even a Former air force base good for some renovations and maybe even a VAB, doubt it though.

Trust but verify - R,R

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof - C,S

Take your pick.

You could conceivably make an artificial island, provided it was at least somewhat near a continental mass, and was positioned on a continental shelf. The problem would be getting the 'land' out to the location. A few large barges with appropriate garbage hauling could do the trick.

Make sure you initially build it kinda like a coral reef repair... Old bus hulks and so on for the perimeter, and fill in the middle with rock and boulders. Top it with soil, and you're good to start planting vegetation, and introducing wildlife. You would probly get a good selection of research grants to help with it if you play it right.

Alternate, build an underwater+underground facility. Basically, you make an access point at the bottom of the ocean, and have the facility mined out of the sea bed. It might be cheaper than any other plans, and you could expand indefinitely. Build it in the Pacific though, better water conditions and sea life for construction and sea-floor farming.

Locked requested by OP.

We should make an Utopia thread though..

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs