FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 61.5

It was just a ok episode at best.

This is a bad opinion to have.

It was just a ok episode at best.
I think you'll like the next episodes, there's a lot more screaming in them than most.

This is a good opinion to have. (Don't blow out your voice!)

Eh. Never been fond of teleporter gags or non-cannon episodes myself, but I can't complain about more Freeman's Mind, even if I wanted to.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

loved the ending

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

This was refreshing, although I kind of wish you still do Half Life 2. Not sure if this is indicative of anything. Either way: more Freeman, more fun! Though, he may have a problem selling a US military-grade rocket launcher, especially in Europe and dressed like that.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

I'm not saying I don't have faith in Ross, but if this was overwhelming to the point of him rushing the last few episodes of Half-Life 1, I think most of us would be okay amending the promised deadline a month or two. Still, I don't want to speak for anyone, but myself, so Ross, if you're feeling at all rushed with the end of the year just 5-6 weeks away, you could put out a poll asking all of us if we'd be cool giving you more time to complete Freeman's Mind for Half Life 1. It's just an idea, if you've already got all the worked planned out and feel confident you'll meet the deadline no problem, then disregard this. I just didn't want you to feel like you had to necessarily sacrifice quality for expedience if you had to chose between the two.

This is an odd episode, not a bad kind of odd but it's also sorta good. You see, it's good because it's no longer predictable. Before if you've played HL1 you know exactly what will happen in the next episode..however now you have no clue what will happen. Although this isn't good because I feel knowing what will happen is part of the fun of watching Freeman's mind. The commentary, and reactions are great so it's what keeps people waiting to see the next episode. They know a alien or some vortigaunt will creep around the corner, and Ross will surely make some good comment on it. It's sorta like Romeo, and Juliet if you know what i'm getting at here. You get told that both Romeo & Juliet will die, but you don't get told when. Just like when you know a good scene will appear in Freeman's Mind, but you don't know how Freeman will react to it.

Anyways, good twist of events. I like it, and I'd love to see the Combine invasion go on while he is sleeping in the jeep. Something of the sort.

I like to consider these .5's as alternate endings.

I was actually waiting for that teleport sound at the end. Not usual things go THAT right for him.

Retired Forum Moderator

Nice! But he might have a few weeks to find refuge until antlions arrive. And after that the portal storms will begin.

It took six years to get a physics degree. Don't do what I did, try engineering or social studies.

I would love to see this particular ending spin off into an essentially entirely different Machinima series: how Freeman drives to some village, interacts with the locals, figures out what to do next etc. because the fun just never ends for a character unless things get back to normal, and in this state obviously they do not do that any time soon. I think I would even prefer it to continuing into a Half-Life 2 series because in my opinion this format is getting old for a variety of reasons, but this is probably not what most fans want so never mind.

Nice! But he might have a few weeks to find refuge until antlions arrive. And after that the portal storms will begin.

Actually, that wouldn't happen. The Nihilanth would never die, so the portal storms never start, so the combine never comes in. Only Xenian species remain on Earth.

Well done, I always wanted to see Freeman just drive off into the sunset.

Of course, the world is completely doomed, but I've always liked the idea of the 'apocalypse protagonist' just finding some car keys and deciding to leave instead of saving the world. It's what any sane person would do.

"No! You can't follow me, you don't have any money! That's the whole point!"

Good episode.Freeman really deserves to catch a break once in a while,even if it's in an alternate ending.

I agree Freeman does deserve a break

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Bet's been sent, Ross

Not that I don't think you can do it, just that previous patterns would indicate so

Good luck!

I feel like instead of Europe, this should've been Harold Parker State Forest, where he buried the gold.

If I remember correctly, Freeman was in Europe right before he moved to New Mexico. I know the Gearbox games are iffy on continuity, but wasn't most of the PS2 manual cannon?

Remember, throughout the episode, Gordon apparently has no idea where he is. He could be in Massachusetts (Harold Parker State Forest), he could be somewhere in Europe or somewhere else entirely. Gordon was only making suppositions based on the available evidence (deciduous forest, appearance of the ruins, it being daytime*).

* Though with the "slow teleport" mentioned in Half-Life 2, what should be instantaneous teleportation, hours, days, or even weeks can pass before the teleportation finishes.