FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 62

FM62.jpg

(Downloadable copy will be up later)

Here's an episode I know many people have been waiting for. I tried my best to add some "realism" in how someone might react for this situation v. what the game forces you to do. More episodes are coming, I've pretty much been doing NOTHING but Freeman's Mind for the past few weeks to the point where it affected my dreams somewhat. If you like screaming, you'll probably like this episode. And the next one. And the next one.

On another note, if anyone finds any especially insane Black Friday videos this year, feel free to send them my way. I admit I enjoy watching people trying to almost murder each other over a waffle iron.

LINK TO COMMENTS

FM62.jpg

On another note, if anyone finds any especially insane Black Friday videos this year, feel free to send them my way. I admit I enjoy watching people trying to almost murder each other over a waffle iron.

LINK TO COMMENTS

And, sometimes, with said waffle iron.

One problem I've had with Xen is that gravity always pulls you *down.* Even though there shouldn't be any gravity, as Freeman pointed out, if I jumped off of an "island," wouldn't I fall to the bottom of it?

As always, great work Ross!

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

One problem I've had with Xen is that gravity always pulls you *down.* Even though there shouldn't be any gravity, as Freeman pointed out, if I jumped off of an "island," wouldn't I fall to the bottom of it?

While the canon premise is that Xen is a different dimension so who gives a damn, I like the think that the Xen islands are orbiting a massive black hole which has high enough gravity to maintain a breathable atmosphere (Both the Xen aliens and Freeman lack any kind of breathing apparatus, and are both seen breathing both in Xen and on Earth). This black hole, though, is an extraordinarily large distance away from the Xen islands though and that, coupled with the gasses seen in the environment, mask its presence.

There's also the Interloper introduction level, which as I remember is just a jumping puzzle leading to a red spiky teleporter and a pitch black skybox. Maybe this is nearer to the black hole (But somehow doesn't affect gravity because video games)?

Again, though, different dimension/universe so don't expect normality.

Yeah, the obvious is pretty much that there's some other gravity source far away from the "islands", and the question you should be asking isn't "why can I fall off of the island", it's "why is the island floating".

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT FREEMAN'S IN XEN!!! :D

While the canon premise is that Xen is a different dimension so who gives a damn, I like the think that the Xen islands are orbiting a massive black hole which has high enough gravity to maintain a breathable atmosphere (Both the Xen aliens and Freeman lack any kind of breathing apparatus, and are both seen breathing both in Xen and on Earth). This black hole, though, is an extraordinarily large distance away from the Xen islands though and that, coupled with the gasses seen in the environment, mask its presence.

There's also the Interloper introduction level, which as I remember is just a jumping puzzle leading to a red spiky teleporter and a pitch black skybox. Maybe this is nearer to the black hole (But somehow doesn't affect gravity because video games)?

I thought about mentioning a black hole possibility, but now physicists are debating if they even exist or not. While I have Half-Life taking place around 2000 so it wouldn't be a be a problem chronologically, the entire frigging internet would jump in to correct me, so I decided to leave that alone.

After Freeman sees the Nihilanth, he'll die of a heart attack and the series will end.

Calling it now.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

He who fights drummers

After Freeman sees the Nihililanth, he'll die of a heart attack and the series will end.

Calling it now.

I believe that the Nihililanth will die of a heart attack when it will see Ross.... eeehh hhmmm... I meant Gordon Ross... no wait! Gordon Rossman. No damn it! No wait, how was it? Ross Freeman?

Loved the sound at the end. And nailed with the comment: "THIS ISN'T MASSACHUSETTS"

As mentioned in other comments, I kinda of were expecting Freeman's reaction to Nihilant's voice.

It seemed short to me. I always do a lot of exploring on that area. I guess because I'm not scared, but in awe. I also remember some weird scorpion-looking trees at the beginning of Xen, but those were in Blue Shift

Thanks

sudo make me a sandwich

This episode- brilliant :D

now, if im not mistaken, didnt he reach this... huge version of headcrab (i still prefer calling it facehugger) with, uhm, sack fight?

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Freeman Screaming when the soldiers did the looney tunes crap was too damn hilarious a few episodes back so this made me think of that and laugh my ass off........Ross thank you for making me love Half life alot more than I did when i was a kid

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Ok, so I can start freaking out about the idea of no more FM now?

OHMYGODWHATAREWEGOINGTODO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is hl2 still up for discussion? maybe starting 2016 or so to have a nice break, maybe full dedication to the movie?

Yes, I am freaking out. I always get emotional when series ends :(

anyway, thank you for all of these years *goes to prepare the crying corner*

I thought about mentioning a black hole possibility, but now physicists are debating if they even exist or not. While I have Half-Life taking place around 2000 so it wouldn't be a be a problem chronologically, the entire frigging internet would jump in to correct me, so I decided to leave that alone.
Are you sure that you aren't confusing black holes with wormholes or something like that? Because I'm fairly sure that black holes are a generally accepted explanation for not directly observable apparently massive regions in space. I mean, it's obvious that something massive is in those places even if it can't be seen and 'black hole' pretty much is the name for this kind of phenomenon and the linked hypotheses.

A short visit to the Wikipedia entry doesn't show any substantial recent criticism of the concept, so I don't think it's really disputed that much. It would actually rather surprise me to hear that.

Anyways, great video once again. I also think that Gordon's reaction seems fitting, it really feels like he's completely filled with adrenaline and still pretty unsettled by what he's seeing (I especially liked the 'shoot the madness' line, which I think explains pretty well how he's feeling).

Freeman Screaming when the soldiers did the looney tunes crap was too damn hilarious a few episodes back so this made me think of that and laugh my ass off........Ross thank you for making me love Half life alot more than I did when i was a kid

that was ages ago that episode. Even before Freeman being knocked out i think

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

There are hypotheses currently that black holes as we know them aren't actually physical objects that have been compressed down to minute size. Growing up, I was taught that black holes were collapsed stars that had been shrunken down to a very small size without losing mass (that had not been blown away by the supernova explosion or whatever) so it'd be like compressing a human down to the size of a cube of table salt so the cube would be 200 pounds heavy or some crap like that.

That might be wrong and they could just be extraordinarily strong gravity wells without associated matter to cause it.

I don't really see a problem with Gordon making wild guesses. Ross could nip it in the bud by reminding the viewers (while not breaking character) that Xen is a completely alien dimension so the currently known rules of physics can take a hike (or some other colorful euphemism). He could also insult (without breaking character) people that question it by saying something like, "That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Anyone that doesn't like that can eat my shorts. Oh God, I'm so hungry. Wonder if I can eat my shorts."

Or something.