Will asteroid mining solve all of our economical problems?

Will asteroid mining solve all of our economical problems?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will asteroid mining solve all of our economical problems?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Sign in to follow this  

Nuclear SSTO? I take it this would be unmanned. As for my knowledge of rocketry is very little for even attempting to throw some advice in. I mostly fiddle with solid fueled rockets. But Nuclear SSTO's never heard of anyone designing let alone thinking of one. Maybe the 1960's Orion if they launched from the atmosphere but that's Orion.

Trust but verify - R,R

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof - C,S

Take your pick.

Nuclear powered, not nuclear propulsion. Electrical powered engines that work both in-atmo, and out. When they're in-atmo they turn off stored fuel, and run of the atmosphere for greater efficiency. (my design calls for a minimum of 3 round-trips to a landing on the moon before needing to refuel)

The problem with nuclear reactors for power (and not only have they been used before, but there's one in a 4000 year decaying polar orbit right now) is that they just don't have the power generation capability that I need for all the functions of the orbiter. (this includes its, at-this-point-theoretical, EM shield and the experimental engine design) All other factors excluding the power and engine have already been taken into account, including dropping the shield, which brings it down to around 7MW required. I also considered increasing the number of generators, but that also requires another engine, and a complete redesign of the airframe. (both of which are undesirable as it would then require specialized airfields with much longer and wider runways, and designated flight paths)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.