FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 63

FM63.jpg

(Downloadable copy will be up later)

Subtitles: English

Here is one of the most climactic episodes from Half-Life! I actually couldn't remember how to beat this level initially and had to look it up. I've never been a fan of "bullet sponge" enemies in games unless they LOOK like they can take an incredible amount of punishment. This is the reason I've often tweaked the damage settings in Half-Life, since I'm used to organic things dying relatively quickly against modern military equipment, even if they're big. That approach just simply wasn't doable for this episode, so you get to see more of the normal game experience. I also ran into a bug where the boss just didn't want to move and was in an invincible state, that took some tricks to get working. This episode also has two continuity errors that I'm aware of. One I left in for the hell of it, the other would have been nothing short of a nightmare to try and fix. You can probably spot them if you look for them.

"General Cornwaffle" put a bunch of effort into the sound effects for this one since it's such a pivotal point in the game and this was an all-day job for volume balancing on my end, so it should hopefully sound pretty good. I'm anticipating we may lean a little more on the default side of the sound effects for the next few episodes, but we'll see. More episodes coming as soon as they're done!

EDIT:

I've seen some continued skepticism that I won't get through Freeman's Mind before the end of the year. I've mentioned this in the forums, but anyone is free to bet against me if you think I won't make it. Just use the Donation Page and put in the Paypal subject that it's a bet. If I don't make the deadline, I'll double your wager.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

whoa Ross, you are speeding things up real quickly- if i remember correctly this is record release time since last episode.

And it was bloody good episode.

Kinda makes me thinking how fast you'd have to shoot episodes out to make it by end of the year, since you are apparently taking this deadline very seriously. i mean, you still have quite considerable portion ahead

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

While I do appreciate the additional sound design GCw did for this episode, do you think in the future you can keep the original Half-Life sounds intact? At least the weapon sounds. The new gunshot sounds seem really out of place.

Otherwise, great episode, Ross!

Alright, if you release one episode a week, you might reach the deadline. This is good.

He who fights drummers

Sweet, dude. I'm sure you'll finish Freeman's Mind before the end of the year. I almost feel bad for those who are actually betting against you.

and the baby headcrab disappearing at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?start=423&v=nOYwSwADVxs How did the second one even happen?

It wasn't just the newborn disappearing, but also the normal ones spawning.

I choose to believe they were all dressed up as that single newborn, playing dead, waiting for Gordon to turn around.

Acting.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delacroix

Yes, we know Mister, yours is always the biggest.

While I do appreciate the additional sound design GCw did for this episode, do you think in the future you can keep the original Half-Life sounds intact? At least the weapon sounds. The new gunshot sounds seem really out of place.

Otherwise, great episode, Ross!

This has been a debate with the sound editor who has been adamant about wanting to add his "HD" sounds. I told him no for 62, but allowed it for this one since I wanted it to be a little over the top. It kind of depends on overall fan feedback whether they'll make it into future episodes.

Also, I think I found the continuity errors
The headcrab that disappears on the ledge is the one I left in. The rocket's not an error that I'm aware of. As for the other headcrabs, that is 100% as the demo recorded it, so I'm guessing no continuity error there, just maybe stuff happening off camera. The fact that no one's noticed the other one is a good sign however. Once you do see it, it will likely be hard to "unsee".

Great work as always! I look forward to more. Two questions, Ross:

1.) How did you get the additional holster animations to work? I downloaded Vedad's files, and followed the instructions, but they wouldn't work.

2.) Why couldn't you change the damage values for the Gonarch?

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Yeah, that's it. It would have been impossible for me to fix that without re-recording it. I actually DID do that for the intro and spliced it together with the footage I already had recorded. Source recording bugs can be a real hassle.