FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 63

FM63.jpg

EDIT:

I've seen some continued skepticism that I won't get through Freeman's Mind before the end of the year. I've mentioned this in the forums, but anyone is free to bet against me if you think I won't make it. Just use the Donation Page and put in the Paypal subject that it's a bet. If I don't make the deadline, I'll double your wager.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

Well Ross, Mr. Scott, I'm a betting man, and 2 to 1 odds just isn't gonna cut it. For all I know you already have an ending locked in your barrel, a short 30 second video of Gordon dying perhaps, and can pull the trigger whenever you want. What I'm going on is the hope that everything possible goes wrong with your production (Floods, mass power outage, SD card corruptions... EDIT: Big fan by the way). So let's say you give me 10 to 1 odds and I'll place my bet. Deal?

I'm already trying to mentally prepare myself for the reality that this series is about to end.

Seriously, when new episodes get released it is the bright spot of my day/week/month

...it's gonna...it's gonna be okay...the withdrawls will pass

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

I'm already trying to mentally prepare myself for the reality that this series is about to end.

Seriously, when new episodes get released it is the bright spot of my day/week/month

I'm also a bit disheartened by the thought that this series is about to end, but I can't help but be excited thinking about what might come next.

Retired Forum Moderator

Excellent episode. And thanks to General Cornwaffle for excellent audio design. I always appreciate good sound design, wherever applicable.

The new gun sounds are great. They sound close enough to the original Half-Life sound effects so that unlike previously (when new gun sounds were applied) it does not create any apparent disparity between the old and new. Frankly I did not even frist realise that the gunsounds were updated at first as they sounded so natural. So in my books the update is a-okay.

I have no doubt in my mind that he'll go on to Half-Life 2. I have three reasons for this.

1. Ross has said he might do it if the interest is still there, and of course, the interest is still there.

2. Ross has said in a podcast that he was actually considering starting with Half-Life 2 because it would be easier for him to write jokes.

3. It's heavily implied that even if Gordon chooses the "bad" ending that he's still hired by the G-Man. The screen fading to black at the end is simply him being put into stasis. The G-Man talks about the illusion of free choice at the end of Half-Life 2, supporting this theory. So even if Freeman refuses he'll still go on to Half-Life 2.

He who fights drummers

I have no doubt in my mind that he'll go on to Half-Life 2. I have three reasons for this.

1. Ross has said he might do it if the interest is still there, and of course, the interest is still there.

2. Ross has said in a podcast that he was actually considering starting with Half-Life 2 because it would be easier for him to write jokes.

3. It's heavily implied that even if Gordon chooses the "bad" ending that he's still hired by the G-Man. The screen fading to black at the end is simply him being put into stasis. The G-Man talks about the illusion of free choice at the end of Half-Life 2, supporting this theory. So even if Freeman refuses he'll still go on to Half-Life 2.

Another reason is that with Half-Life 1 ending, Ross would need to start putting out new content to support himself with YouTube revenue, and I don't think the Game Dungeon is quite popular enough to get him by.

So even if we don't get Half-Life 2, there's still high hopes for something we saw in Freeman Across the Universe, eh?

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

The new gun sounds are great. They sound close enough to the original Half-Life sound effects so that unlike previously (when new gun sounds were applied) it does not create any apparent disparity between the old and new. Frankly I did not even frist realise that the gunsounds were updated at first as they sounded so natural. So in my books the update is a-okay.

To me, they were different enough to be kinda distracting. When I hear those sounds, something in the back of my mind goes "Hey, these aren't the right sounds!" and it breaks my immersion for a second. Maybe it's just that I've been waiting 5 years for this part of the game and I want it to keep it's Half-Life authenticity.

Nice one Ross, keep them coming!

Also I will call your bet, five bucks sounds about right :P

Don't worry. While I am sure Ross will take a break from Freeman's Mind after this season I'm fairly sure he'll pick it up again some day with Half-Life 2.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

he'll pick it up again some day with Half-Life 2.
Failing that, i'm fairly sure he will at least keep making something awesome. icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

i feel kinda dumb now for not getting Command & Conquer Tiberian Dawn (one of my favourite games of all time. at least i think it was reference to it) reference when Gordon was placing C4.

"i got a present for ya" (GDI commando/Gordon Freeman. Wait, is Freeman undercover GDI commando? that would explain proficiency in weaponry)

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

-snip- To me, they were different enough to be kinda distracting. When I hear those sounds, something in the back of my mind goes "Hey, these aren't the right sounds!" -snip-

The first episode that enhanced gunshot sounds were used popped out at me immediately. I tend to have the Freeman's Mind playlist playing in the background at all times, and when this episode plays through the loop it throws me off and I have to tab in to check what new gun freeman found. Getting more used to it now but another episode with it :|

-snip- To me, they were different enough to be kinda distracting. When I hear those sounds, something in the back of my mind goes "Hey, these aren't the right sounds!" -snip-

The first episode that enhanced gunshot sounds were used popped out at me immediately. I tend to have the Freeman's Mind playlist playing in the background at all times, and when this episode plays through the loop it throws me off and I have to tab in to check what new gun freeman found. Getting more used to it now but another episode with it :|

I feel the same way. As I said before, I appreciate the detail, but they're jarring and break the immersion. I don't know, maybe it's because I've played over 250 hours of Half Life 1 alone.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Yeah, like everyone else I'll be really sad to see this series finished.

I haven't a doubt that Ross will continue making awesome things, but as for Half Life 2... To me he seems like more of a realist than anything else, and if he doesn't think it would work out (which it very easily couldn't) he won't do it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd do anything for a continuation of his version of Freeman, but there's a pretty fair chance HL2 won't happen.

"No! You can't follow me, you don't have any money! That's the whole point!"

I haven't a doubt that Ross will continue making awesome things, but as for Half Life 2... To me he seems like more of a realist than anything else, and if he doesn't think it would work out (which it very easily couldn't) he won't do it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd do anything for a continuation of his version of Freeman, but there's a pretty fair chance HL2 won't happen.

Honestly, it seems to me like it'd be a lot easier (if anticlimactic) to do the rest of the HL series than if, let's say, the Assassin's Creed games - what with it's EIGHT INSTALLMENTS - was an FPS series that he started on in 2007 and was only just now finishing the first one. At least with Half-Life, there's an ending in sight that's been there since Ross first started this series. Seven years and no new information on a HL3 besides some really old concept art.

Granted, HL2 itself would probably take a while to finish, but given the fact that Ross seems to be popping these out like crazy these days, I can see it getting done much faster. At least in a shorter time-span than a near-decade. It'd still take a while though, and Half-Life 2 and beyond are a pretty different tone from the first game, so I wouldn't blame Ross for cutting out after HL1.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Honestly, it seems to me like it'd be a lot easier (if anticlimactic) to do the rest of the HL series than if, let's say, the Assassin's Creed games - what with it's EIGHT INSTALLMENTS - was an FPS series that he started on in 2007 and was only just now finishing the first one. At least with Half-Life, there's an ending in sight that's been there since Ross first started this series. Seven years and no new information on a HL3 besides some really old concept art.

Granted, HL2 itself would probably take a while to finish, but given the fact that Ross seems to be popping these out like crazy these days, I can see it getting done much faster. At least in a shorter time-span than a near-decade. It'd still take a while though, and Half-Life 2 and beyond are a pretty different tone from the first game, so I wouldn't blame Ross for cutting out after HL1.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure Ross has said before that he was considering starting with Half-Life 2 because he could write jokes easier for it. I'm sure he could make it work. As for it taking a while, Ross started this as an experimental series and it ended up becoming something he did in-between Civil Protection episodes to quench the thirst for content. I think he'll alternate between Freeman's Mind and Ross's Game Dungeon again once he finishes Half-Life 1.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, I dunno.

He who fights drummers