FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 63

Surprisingly, there were no sex jokes made this episode. I'm glad your sense of humor is more mature. It would've been way easier to just call the Gonarch a giant walking testicle.

He who fights drummers

I'm not worried about little details like that, personally. Source is a buggy engine, and for all intents and purposes, outdated. I expect bugs like that, y'know? Don't worry about it too much, Ross!

Surprisingly, there were no sex jokes made this episode. I'm glad your sense of humor is more mature. It would've been way easier to just call the Gonarch a giant walking testicle.

Well, I mean, that is literally what Gonarch is designed off of. Gonads + Monarch = Gonarch.

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

How did you get the additional holster animations to work? I downloaded Vedad's files, and followed the instructions, but they wouldn't work.

Might have something to do with the Steampipe update for HL:S. I think Ross had some trouble with it too because they weren't in the last episode despite being credited.

Why couldn't you change the damage values for the Gonarch?

The Gonarch doesn't seem to have any health values, at least not in GoldSrc. Just damage factors for it's shell, legs and sack.

r3EuKX7.png

The issue with the blood was the only one I noticed, but it's understandable. Just an in-engine limit to decals, I assume. When I saw it, I actually anticipated Freeman would somehow acknowledge it and say "Woah, what the hell? Did the ground absorb it?" or something. The ground texture looks like it could be soft and squishy, so who knows. It's pretty unclear.

Good work, all around. I feel like that goes almost without saying but not acknowledging it in my introductory post seems wrong.

Is it wrong that I laughed my ass off when he hit his head twice at the jumping pad? XD

I lost my shit at that point.

Great work as always, Ross.

Ditto on both counts. :)

I thought it was kind of interesting that Gordon didn't seem to notice that the Gonarch was producing Headcrabs? If he did, I missed it somehow.

How did you get the additional holster animations to work? I downloaded Vedad's files, and followed the instructions, but they wouldn't work.

Might have something to do with the Steampipe update for HL:S. I think Ross had some trouble with it too because they weren't in the last episode despite being credited.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Why couldn't you change the damage values for the Gonarch?

The Gonarch doesn't seem to have any health values, at least not in GoldSrc. Just damage factors for it's shell, legs and sack.

r3EuKX7.png

Is the Gonarch battle a scripted-sequence kind of thing?

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Yeah, that's it. It would have been impossible for me to fix that without re-recording it. I actually DID do that for the intro and spliced it together with the footage I already had recorded. Source recording bugs can be a real hassle.

Thanks for posting a new video on my birthday Ross, I love the series soo much that it feels like its apart of me, and also this reminds me of when you did the same with your RGD episode of Zany Golf on yours somewhat..... :D :D :D :D but its a good video as always

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

This is an FM episode. All craftrossship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with ROFL.

This has been a debate with the sound editor who has been adamant about wanting to add his "HD" sounds. I told him no for 62, but allowed it for this one since I wanted it to be a little over the top. It kind of depends on overall fan feedback whether they'll make it into future episodes.
Well, it's definitely better this time.

That last episode they were added, they grated somehow, broke the immersion.

This time, they seem to fit. At least, i haven't noticed them explicitly until reading this thread. :)

I've never been a fan of "bullet sponge" enemies in games unless they LOOK like they can take an incredible amount of punishment. This is the reason I've often tweaked the damage settings in Half-Life, since I'm used to organic things dying relatively quickly against modern military equipment, even if they're big.

This is the part where I be an asshole and point out that the damage value changes either keep things roughly as realistic as they were in the original games, or make them less realistic.

Anyway, GREAT episode. Maybe it's just because the boss monster itself presents a good opportunity for a lot of panicking and yelling, but I laughed several times throughout the nine and a half minute running time. This might just be my favorite episode so far; it's certainly my girlfriend's. Favorite quotes/moments:

The baby headcrabs annoying Freeman. In general.

"AM I FIGHTING A GOD? IS THIS WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE!? THIS ISN'T WHAT I PICTURED AT ALL!"

"IS THIS A JOKE!? WHAT'S HAPPENING!? IT'S IMMUNE TO EXPLOSIVES!?

Freeman hitting his head. Twice.

The rocket's not an error that I'm aware of.

It's probably just that the holster animation resets the weapon model's state model to "loaded". Since the rocket launcher is, IIRC, the only weapon with visible differences when loaded or outta ammo, a missile magically appears when it's holstered without being reloaded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delacroix

Yes, we know Mister, yours is always the biggest.

Great work as always! I look forward to more. Two questions, Ross:

1.) How did you get the additional holster animations to work? I downloaded Vedad's files, and followed the instructions, but they wouldn't work.

2.) Why couldn't you change the damage values for the Gonarch?

The files worked for me, I think they don't work if you immediately switch from one weapon to the next, which is why some people didn't notice it in 62.

well I COULD change damage values, but I don't think fans would appreciate me killing Gonarch with 1-2 rocket hits. I don't see a real animal withstanding much more than that, even at that size.

Just an in-engine limit to decals, I assume.
No, it's the demo recording. If you record a demo when decals are already on a surface to begin with, it won't retain any of them UNLESS you were already recording before you started the level.

Surprisingly, there were no sex jokes made this episode. I'm glad your sense of humor is more mature.
It's just not my style as much. I have a threshold where I don't really want to make sex jokes unless the content is going way WAY over the top.

I was expecting Freeman to flip out a bit over the gonarch's testicular appearance, but I guess that would have been...

(puts on sunglasses)

...low hanging fruit.

I haven't much to say, so I'll just leave this here:

pacguy19: yeah

pacguy19: i'd say it was a pretty good episode

Chocoportals: lots of yelling

Chocoportals: the quintessential freeman experience

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

The Quintessential Freeman Experience sounds like a prog rock band from the 70s.

A lot of these later episodes kinda lose me because I didn't like Xen to begin with but I liked this one. I still can't really notice the holster animations though, can anyone point out where they are?

The Quintessential Freeman Experience sounds like a prog rock band from the 70s.

You mean progressive rock? Because in that case I guess you can say that he's....

8-)

PROGRESSING through the episodes.

Okay I'm awful.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.