FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 63

You mean progressive rock? Because in that case I guess you can say that he's....

8-)

PROGRESSING through the episodes.

Okay I'm awful.

Ouch.

You mean progressive rock? Because in that case I guess you can say that he's....

8-)

PROGRESSING through the episodes.

Okay I'm awful.

Ouch.

So are you happy with the....

8-)

progress of my puns?

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

This has been a debate with the sound editor who has been adamant about wanting to add his "HD" sounds. I told him no for 62, but allowed it for this one since I wanted it to be a little over the top. It kind of depends on overall fan feedback whether they'll make it into future episodes.

I actually liked the new weapon sounds, for the most part. Every weapon sounded great with the new sounds, especially the RPG. The only weapon sounds I didn't like were the ones for the pistol. Felt a little out of place.

Only sounds that annoyed me slightly were when Freeman would lift his hand from the MP5 and grab it repeatedly around 3:30 into the episode. The tapping noises were repetitive and kind of annoying.

Other than that, General Cornwaffle is doing a really good job with the sound editing, it worked really well with this episode. One small effect he edited in that I really liked was at about 30 seconds into the episode, when Freeman gets hit by the xen tree. I'd imagine that'd be pretty accurate to how it'd sound and feel when getting hit in the head by something like that.

This has been a debate with the sound editor who has been adamant about wanting to add his "HD" sounds. I told him no for 62, but allowed it for this one since I wanted it to be a little over the top. It kind of depends on overall fan feedback whether they'll make it into future episodes.

I actually liked the new weapon sounds, for the most part. Every weapon sounded great with the new sounds, especially the RPG. The only weapon sounds I didn't like were the ones for the pistol. Felt a little out of place.

Only sounds that annoyed me slightly were when Freeman would lift his hand from the MP5 and grab it repeatedly around 3:30 into the episode. The tapping noises were repetitive and kind of annoying.

Other than that, General Cornwaffle is doing a really good job with the sound editing, it worked really well with this episode. One small effect he edited in that I really liked was at about 30 seconds into the episode, when Freeman gets hit by the xen tree. I'd imagine that'd be pretty accurate to how it'd sound and feel when getting hit in the head by something like that.

I like the new sounds, but I don't think they should be used in Freeman's Mind.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

xen tree

It's not a tree... It's a tentacle!!!

So you guys are arguing whether it's a tree or a tentacle. I guess you could say you're

8-)

tied up on the issue.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

And Freeman at last begins his transformation from neurotic scientist into the stoic hero the world nee....oh. :P

To be honest, I'm quite amazed he's able to still think in a vaguely coherent manner, considering his personality...

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

The Quintessential Freeman Experience sounds like a prog rock band from the 70s.

A lot of these later episodes kinda lose me because I didn't like Xen to begin with but I liked this one. I still can't really notice the holster animations though, can anyone point out where they are?

That actually would fit very well. What sort of style of prog would they have, though?

As for the new sounds, I will also say that honestly, I didn't even notice the difference until you guys pointed it out. Which I guess is as good a review as you can get, for this sort of situation. That is to say, they gelled nicely with the rest of the episodes/atmosphere.

Great work as always! I look forward to more. Two questions, Ross:
Surprisingly, there were no sex jokes made this episode. I'm glad your sense of humor is more mature.
It's just not my style as much. I have a threshold where I don't really want to make sex jokes unless the content is going way WAY over the top.

Normally, I don't appreciate the raunchier humour, unless done very well. But I dunno, I think here it would have been fairly appropriate. I mean, it literally is a giant walking testicle. That shoots.... stuff... at you.

Sure, I wouldn't want Freeman to go into a bunch of detail on it, while possibly dismissing it as "Ugh, I don't want to think about it." after the initial realization, but even a minor mention of it seemed at least a little warranted.

But then again, no real harm done. I think the theological discussing more than make up for it. :P

Also, I'm guessing that by the time he gets to the "factory" level, he will begin to realize that he IS on the alien planet, since he still seems a bit shell shocked and confused at this point'

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Also, I'm guessing that by the time he gets to the "factory" level, he will begin to realize that he IS on the alien planet, since he still seems a bit shell shocked and confused at this point'

He already realizes that the Scientists sent him to an alien planet? I mean, he did mention the scientists sending him back, the scientists falling and so-on and so-forth.

xen tree

the entity/spawn code for it is "xen_tree", so I referred to it as such

He already realizes that the Scientists sent him to an alien planet? I mean, he did mention the scientists sending him back, the scientists falling and so-on and so-forth.

Well, I mean, he seems to know he is somewhere, but he doesn't seem sure where. Thus the theorizing on "Did they blow up the universe?" or talking about the weird gas cloud and floating platforms. He hasn't made any comment about this being where the aliens actually come from. At most, he complains when they teleport to where he is, which might make him think he's still in our universe and out in some weird part of space or something. Like I said, I'd expect the realization to hit that he is in the alien homeworld when he gets to the factory, where the aliens are kinda doing their own thing.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

I laughed harder at the "so far so not dead" than I probably should have. It's been my reply to people asking me how I am at school for the past few months so I was surprised to hear it here. XD

Retired Forum Moderator

I'm not entirely sure about the inner workings of the damage settings he has going but I'm wondering if he tweaked the damage for the Gonarch fight. Most enemies died so easily in the past but that thing carried on like a champ of champs through those attacks making me feel like he changed the damage. Could just be that thing is harder to kill than I remember it. O_o

Retired Forum Moderator

I'm not entirely sure about the inner workings of the damage settings he has going but I'm wondering if he tweaked the damage for the Gonarch fight. Most enemies died so easily in the past but that thing carried on like a champ of champs through those attacks making me feel like he changed the damage. Could just be that thing is harder to kill than I remember it. O_o

From the first post/front page:

Here is one of the most climatic episodes from Half-Life! I actually couldn’t remember how to beat this level initially and had to look it up. I’ve never been a fan of “bullet sponge” enemies in games unless they LOOK like they can take an incredible amount of punishment. This is the reason I’ve often tweaked the damage settings in Half-Life, since I’m used to organic things dying relatively quickly against modern military equipment, even if they’re big. That approach just simply wasn’t doable for this episode, so you get to see more of the normal game experience.

From the first post/front page:

Here is one of the most climatic episodes from Half-Life! I actually couldn’t remember how to beat this level initially and had to look it up. I’ve never been a fan of “bullet sponge” enemies in games unless they LOOK like they can take an incredible amount of punishment. This is the reason I’ve often tweaked the damage settings in Half-Life, since I’m used to organic things dying relatively quickly against modern military equipment, even if they’re big. That approach just simply wasn’t doable for this episode, so you get to see more of the normal game experience.

Wow, I uh, should have seen that. My bad. >_<

Thanks for pointing that out though.

Retired Forum Moderator

xen tree

the entity/spawn code for it is "xen_tree", so I referred to it as such

It's still a TENTACLE!!! :lol:

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.