FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 64

Oooooh, ambitious. So that's like, what, an episode every 3 days now? There's like six episodes worth of material left, ...

Really? Six? There's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?start=8014&v=NhmkrxOrtas which will be it's own episode, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?start=8338&v=NhmkrxOrtas which can't be more than a two-parter, then finally the Nihilanth battle and Endgame which I think's gonna be one big finale episode. So right now I'm guessing 3—4 more episodes to the series' end. Maybe a fifth for an alternate ending?
Edited by Guest (see edit history)

So that's like, what, an episode every 3 days now? There's like six episodes worth of material left

Hmm. I wonder if Freeman will fall for the final boss's trick (those who know the game know to what I refer). That tends to extend the battle. Or at least, delay its completion.

I've never seen you to have this kind of production rate.

What, even during the m*******a.com days?

Well, it's not as if he has to sustain it. Just a final push, and then it'll be over.

Freeman's Mind will be over.

We're going to miss it. Aren't we?

I've only played through this area once and I didn't notice this cave, too. Although, I didn't use the holes either, I just jumped onto a Mantaray from that hill above the cave entrance.

I guess I'm the only one here that actually found the cave right away and then took the unholy dumbwaiter to the rotating platforms.

Nope. Apparently, we're in a vast minority. I didn't even realize you *could* get to the teleporter via the vents. I tried to get to the floating platforms once, but could never reach them.

As always, great episode Ross! I too liked Freeman's reaction to the Vortiguant.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Really? Six? There's one more Xen island which will be it's own episode, and the factory stage which can't be more than a two-parter, then finally the Nihilanth battle and Endgame which I think's gonna be one big finale episode. So right now I'm guessing 3—4 more episodes to the series' end. Maybe a fifth for an alternate ending?

Nope. The factory is an easy three episodes. It's very long, three episodes might actually be undershooting it. The Nihilanth CAN be completed in one episode, but it requires meta-gaming that I don't think Freeman is going to do. With the crystals, the teleportation balls, and his huge reserve of health, two episodes (or just one episode that's the length of two) again might be undershooting it. Especially since it would be a shame if Freeman didn't get teleported a few times, and there's still the two minute scene with the G-Man after the Nihilanth dies.

What, even during the m*******a.com days?

Nope. The fastest his production ever got there was once every four days during the Power Up chapter.

Well, it's not as if he has to sustain it. Just a final push, and then it'll be over.

Freeman's Mind will be over.

We're going to miss it. Aren't we?

Considering that it's Ross's most popular production, he's stated that he'd have a much easier time coming up with jokes in HL2, and he's also stated that he'll continue the series if the fans are still interested (which it seems we are), I highly doubt this is the end. Maybe the last episodes before a hiatus, but not the end of Freeman's Mind forever.

Also, I agree with what Ross said about this map's design. Interloper just might be my favorite chapter in the whole game.

How has Freeman not noticed the Nihilanth talking to him?

Honestly, I still haven't even noticed it.

Really long drawn out garbling can be pretty easy to miss when you are stuck in an alien universe and are continually freaking out.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Nope. The factory is an easy three episodes. It's very long, three episodes might actually be undershooting it. The Nihilanth CAN be completed in one episode, but it requires meta-gaming that I don't think Freeman is going to do. With the crystals, the teleportation balls, and his huge reserve of health, two episodes (or just one episode that's the length of two) again might be undershooting it. Especially since it would be a shame if Freeman didn't get teleported a few times, and there's still the two minute scene with the G-Man after the Nihilanth dies.
Well, that means we will get a monday-wednesday-friday FM schedule.

I fail to see how this is bad.

Just in case, Ross.

Don't forget.

Quality >> schedule.

Don't skip the quality just to win a bet.

Nope. The factory is an easy three episodes. It's very long, three episodes might actually be undershooting it.

That LPer I linked to got through it in 15 minutes and he bumbled around quite a bit. Three episodes is still possible, though.

Edit: Looking back at the factory levels, they were three very large, convoluted maps with a lot to explore. Three episodes seems most likely.

The Nihilanth CAN be completed in one episode, but it requires meta-gaming that I don't think Freeman is going to do. With the crystals, the teleportation balls, and his huge reserve of health, two episodes (or just one episode that's the length of two) again might be undershooting it.

I'm guessing one very long finale episode. It would be pretty anticlimactic if Freeman 'took a breather' during the most anticipated battle of this almost decade-long series. And drawing it out for three episodes?! That's ridiculous.

and there's still the two minute scene with the G-Man after the Nihilanth dies.

This is what I meant by "Endgame" since that's what the game files refer to it as. Maybe I should've been more specific.

I really hope the G-man's talk isn't a separate episode. It would again be anticlimactic and lose the relief and adrenaline that you get right after you kill the Nihilanth. It would be like if I had to put in a 2nd disc after killing the Nihilanth to see the ending.

Yeah, the Nihilanth battle won't fit in a normal-length FM episode, but that doesn't mean it'll be multiple episodes; it means it'll be a longer, special episode.

One of the lines in this episode stuck out from the rest to me. It seemed to sum up Freeman as a whole.

So naturally, I made a wallpaper of it:

pOAlTlN.jpg?1

Here's the full sized version: http://i.imgur.com/piYmPCb.jpg

that is awesome looking

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Well, that means we will get a monday-wednesday-friday FM schedule.

I fail to see how this is bad.

Just in case, Ross.

Don't forget.

Quality >> schedule.

Don't skip the quality just to win a bet.

i dont think hes going to

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Edit: Looking back at the factory levels, they were three very large, convoluted maps with a lot to explore. Three episodes seems most likely.

Yep.

I'm guessing one very long finale episode. It would be pretty anticlimactic if Freeman 'took a breather' during the most anticipated battle of this almost decade-long series. And drawing it out for three episodes?! That's ridiculous.

If he makes two episodes or just a double-length episode, he'll be doing about the same amount of work either way. So my comment about him needing to do work faster would still stand. And three episodes wouldn't really be "dragging it out" (assuming they're short episodes), it'd be going through every bit of the battle while leaving some time for Freeman to think. He teleports you four times during the battle and has two phases where you have to shoot a special place to hurt him. I think a double-length episode (including the whole battle, titles and credits, and the ending scene) is the most likely case, though. About 20 minutes altogether.

I think a double-length episode (including the whole battle, titles and credits, and the ending scene) is the most likely case, though. About 20 minutes altogether.

That battle took me 10 minutes, including my 2 deaths and restarts the first time I got to that thing on hard.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I think a double-length episode (including the whole battle, titles and credits, and the ending scene) is the most likely case, though. About 20 minutes altogether.

That battle took me 10 minutes, including my 2 deaths and restarts the first time I got to that thing on hard.

I'm giving Freeman enough time to explore and monologue. He generally goes at a slower pace than a player who's just trying to beat the game.

Let's see how well I know this. I may have some things wrong, just as a disclaimer.

He teleports you four times during the battle and has two phases where you have to shoot a special place to hurt him.

Well, to be exact, he tries to teleport you an unlimited number of times, but it's possible to avoid it each time. However, there are only three places you can go, and always the same three in the same order. After that, you keep going to the third place, but with an extra, big hazard (I'm not sure if the enemies are reset or not).

To my knowledge, Nihilanth has just one true weak spot, which is only revealed after you do enough damage, and you have to hit it to finish him off. I'm not sure why you say such a thing is necessary during "two phases". Maybe the other thing is the crystals you have to destroy to stop him regenerating health? I wouldn't count that as hurting him, though.

Yeah, but as we all should know, Freeman's Mind is playing the game on easier than Easy, because Ross believes it to be more realistic.

Well, to be exact, he tries to teleport you an unlimited number of times, but it's possible to avoid it each time. However, there are only three places you can go, and always the same three in the same order. After that, you keep going to the third place, but with an extra, big hazard (I'm not sure if the enemies are reset or not).

What I meant was, he teleports you to four actual fights. Three are unique rooms, one is room three with a Gargantua in it. From there, he just keeps teleporting you to empty room three. The enemies don't reset. He can only spawn new ones if the green teleportation balls hit anything but Freeman in the main chamber.

To my knowledge, Nihilanth has just one true weak spot, which is only revealed after you do enough damage, and you have to hit it to finish him off. I'm not sure why you say such a thing is necessary during "two phases". Maybe the other thing is the crystals you have to destroy to stop him regenerating health? I wouldn't count that as hurting him, though.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. He has three "health bars": his psychic shield, his body, and his brain. You need to shoot the crystals to stop the shield from infinitely regenerating, you need to damage his body a lot to get him to open his head, and you need to jump into his head to damage his brain. The two places I was talking about were the brain and the crystals. I think Freeman would take a few minutes to figure that out.

I don't want to admit how long and how many deaths that battle gave me on easy.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

The only reason I died twice was because I didn't know I had to shoot the crystals to be able to kill it.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Though it's extremely unlikely, I hope Freeman notices that the vortigaunts in the coming area are not (immediately) hostile. It'd be funny to see him try to communicate with them.