Battle of the Minds

freeman's mind is the original, its the greatest and it can be never surpassed, shephard's mind, however is pretty good too, barney's is meh at first, and he picks it up after that, i've also watched felix's mind, and it's pretty good, but i don't really know what to call it, because it's pretty random lol

I skipped to Shepard's Mind episode 4 I think, and liked it very much as opposed to the first two, which I slept through.

(I'm sorry this is a small post, I just got done making a HUGE IN DETAIL post, when Firefox shut down on me, deleteing what I had written. I'll be making a smaller one instead. QQ)

Freeman's mind is clearly the best, however not because of it being the first, but the quality is just better of the rest, allow me to explain.

(Main Three)

---------------------------------

Freeman is what we never expected, he is a egotistical smartass with paranoiac and sociopathic tendencies. Freeman openly admits how he hated his job before, and now still does while also commenting on the stupidity of the whole world around him. Its the mix of all of these eccentric personality traits that make him a truly original and memorable character and sets him a part from the rest.

Barney from Barney's Mind is sadly however just a complete homage to Freeman. He shares several traits and just copies many things from its brother series to be called an original creation. Its only near the end where he becomes his own voice and actually becomes notable. It isn't a bad series, but I can't laugh at all the jokes I've already heard before come out of Freeman's mouth.

Shephard however from Shephard's Mind is a truly original character. Clearly the second place winner here. Shephard is his own voice, and never feels like a rehash of Freeman. Shephard is less egotistical, less eccentric, and also more professional then Freeman and Barney. He is also more original because he is a marine which gives him such traits as honor, devotion, and loyalty. However he is also susceptible to being paranoid and sarcastic like Freeman and Barney. Also it should be noted that he has an original character trait of being somewhat cowardly compared to the first two on top of all of this. He makes friends with everyone he can, and even talks to his pet alien things to help pass the time. While he like the others pokes fun at Black Mesa, he does so in his own unique way. All of these traits make Shephard a clear standout from the rest.

(Extra Mind's)

Chell from Chell's Mind is a standout in her own way. She does not like cursing much, tries to stay calm, and tries very little to make sense of the situation after the first episode or two. She is clearly insane, but is not aware of her own lunacy and continues on as normal. She treats her portal gun as a person and regularly attempts to have discussions with it. She freaks out at a radio for playing a song she deems as "trying to use psychological torture on me!" and then destroys it. She is clearly a schizophrenic individual with little disregard for anything. While I wouldn't go as far as saying she is a funny individual, I do have fun watching her in her test chambers like a lab rat working her way around.

Felix from Felix's Mind is original in the sense he is unlike the first four. Its just a guy having a really shitty day while being confused as Freeman. He is definitely eccentric, but also much more sane I would say then the rest. He seems like he is on par with Shephard in terms of sanity, but on par with Barney in terms of ready for combat. He is overall kinda enjoyable, and worth trying out.

Parker from Parker's Mind is also just like Felix, however a completely different game then the Half-Life series entirely. However it should be noted he is an underachiever who rises to be a bit of a badass, so its one character trait he has over everyone else. Enjoyable, and worth trying out.

Those are all the ones I've watched more then a few episodes of, so those are the only ones I feel qualified to give my opinion on. It should be noted that all of the ones I have mentioned are good online friends, all of them have talked over Skype and talk with their fans together, some of them even did videos together. All of them are nice people who from my impression talk often online.

http://roosterteeth.com/groups/profile.php?id=8111 (Its a great group I'm a part of on Rooster Teeth's website. It has put together Skype chats in the past with the creators and answered questions if I recall.)

So yeah, thats my thoughts on them all, I'm a huge machinima fan overall and the "Mind" fad is one I've followed closely.

(I'm sorry this is a small post, I just got done making a HUGE IN DETAIL post, when Firefox shut down on me, deleteing what I had written. I'll be making a smaller one instead. QQ)

Freeman's mind is clearly the best, however not because of it being the first, but the quality is just better of the rest, allow me to explain.

(Main Three)

Freeman is what we never expected, he is a egotistical smartass with paranoiac and sociopathic tendencies. Freeman openly admits how he hated his job before, and now still does while also commenting on the stupidity of the whole world around him. Its the mix of all of these eccentric personality traits that make him a truly original and memorable character and sets him a part from the rest.

Barney from Barney's Mind is sadly however just a complete homage to Freeman. He shares several traits and just copies many things from its brother series to be called an original creation. Its only near the end where he becomes his own voice and actually becomes notable. It isn't a bad series, but I can't laugh at all the jokes I've already heard before come out of Freeman's mouth.

Shephard however from Shephard's Mind is a truly original character. Clearly the second place winner here. Shephard is his own voice, and never feels like a rehash of Freeman. Shephard is less egotistical, less eccentric, and also more professional then Freeman and Barney. He is also more original because he is a marine which gives him such traits as honor, devotion, and loyalty. However he is also susceptible to being paranoid and sarcastic like Freeman and Barney. Also it should be noted that he has an original character trait of being somewhat cowardly compared to the first two on top of all of this. He makes friends with everyone he can, and even talks to his pet alien things to help pass the time. While he like the others pokes fun at Black Mesa, he does so in his own unique way. All of these traits make Shephard a clear standout from the rest.

(Extra Mind's)

Chell from Chell's Mind is a standout in her own way. She does not like cursing much, tries to stay calm, and tries very little to make sense of the situation after the first episode or two. She is clearly insane, but is not aware of her own lunacy and continues on as normal. She treats her portal gun as a person and regularly attempts to have discussions with it. She freaks out at a radio for playing a song she deems as "trying to use psychological torture on me!" and then destroys it. She is clearly a schizophrenic individual with little disregard for anything. While I wouldn't go as far as saying she is a funny individual, I do have fun watching her in her test chambers like a lab rat working her way around.

Felix from Felix's Mind is original in the sense he is unlike the first four. Its just a guy having a really shitty day while being confused as Freeman. He is definitely eccentric, but also much more sane I would say then the rest. He seems like he is on par with Shephard in terms of sanity, but on par with Barney in terms of ready for combat. He is overall kinda enjoyable, and worth trying out.

Parker from Parker's Mind is also just like Felix, however a completely different game then the Half-Life series entirely. However it should be noted he is an underachiever who rises to be a bit of a badass, so its one character trait he has over everyone else. Enjoyable, and worth trying out.

Those are all the ones I've watched more then a few episodes of, so those are the only ones I feel qualified to give my opinion on. It should be noted that all of the ones I have mentioned are good online friends, all of them have talked over Skype and talk with their fans together, some of them even did videos together. All of them are nice people who from my impression talk often online.

http://roosterteeth.com/groups/profile.php?id=8111 (Its a great group I'm a part of on Rooster Teeth's website. It has put together Skype chats in the past with the creators and answered questions if I recall.)

So yeah, thats my thoughts on them all, I'm a huge machinima fan overall and the "Mind" fad is one I've followed closely.

Shor...

(Main Three)

(Extra Mind's)

If this is your short post, I'd hate to see the long one...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

closely.

I approve of your opinion What I really like about Shephard's Mind is that he actually takes things seriously from time to time, as opposed to Barney cracking jokes and Freeman straight-up ignoring everything and seemingly bumbling his way around, somehow doing what he is supposed to even though he completely ignored the person telling him to do it, then acting surprised, it was funny at first, I was hoping he would get more serious has he realized how big the situation was, but no, he is still acts like some sort of egotistical snarky coward, and i am disappoint. I love Freeman's Mind, this is my only gripe with it, he doesn't take his role seriously, even though he is shown time and time again that he is the only one capable of doing what he needs to do, he completely disregards it. This is why i like Shephard's Mind and Freeman's Mind equally.

Yeah sorry about the mountain post, but I wanted to make up for what I lost in a different way so I added a few of the other Mind shows that I've seen.

Yeah sorry about the mountain post, but I wanted to make up for what I lost in a different way so I added a few of the other Mind shows that I've seen.

There was good quality in it, so it wasn't bad, just very long... lol

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I actually thought the original poster was asking who in the world had a mind as great as Freeman's... Don't worry, it eventually dawned on me what you were talking about

Shephard's Mind would have to be a close favorite, simply for the humor and the attitude he has towards the environments and situations he faces; he does so in his own way and seems a homage to Freeman's Mind, not a copycat.

I have however not watched much of the other Mind series, but after some of the comments here I'll definitely check them out.

Like pretty much everyone else here, Shephard's Mind is my favourite after FM. I also like all of the other "Master Mind" series (Barney's Mind, Felix's Mind, Chell's Mind, Harrison's Mind, Parker's Mind, and Freeman's-ish Mind). I've also enjoyed a few others, like Isaac Clarke's Mind, Declan's Mind, and some other Mind series-type stuff put out by a Youtube user called dragonv0942 (none of them are actually called "So-and-So's Mind" like the rest, and they're generally more serious, but they're good and it's the same format). None of them will really have the same spark as Freeman's Mind, but they're all good in their own way and well worth watching.

To me, the narration Shephard's Mind seems a little whiny, and the narration in Barney's Mind sounds like he just doesn't care. The only one that really seems to make me laugh is Freeman's Mind.

100 percent average every time, all the time.

Chell's Mind is really funny. Not as good as FM but it's still great. They do all annoy me though (besides FM). That's because they're all ripping off FM. I think CM is the only one that actually gives credit for the idea!

Would every Let's Play video be considered a rip off of what slowbeef started at the Something Awful forums? Maybe back then, but not by today's standards. I do hope a Mind series will cease to be considered a rip-off as so many people will have done one eventually. I've even started counting how many Mind series I could find on youtube, so far, I'm up to 238. Doing a Mind series is not only a great way to get your foot in the machinima making world, but it's also a great way to get into voice acting, just look at Corky from Felix's Mind, back when he started, he was a mediocre voice actor, now he's pretty good.

Let's just say this: If no one knows about Freeman's FEAR, Good! If you know about is, don't worry! I feel for you... No one should ever, and I MEAN EVER!!! watch Freeman's FEAR, EVER!!! Please, I. AM. WARNING. YOU. NEVER. EVER. EVER. WATCH FREEMAN'S FEAR! EVER!!!

Oh, I hear you. It's such a horrid attempt at being funny, even if he's trying to appeal to a certain group of people.

Personally, I think they all do just fine. Sure, Ross has better quality, but it's always fun to see the story from another person's perspective and views.