FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 65

Huh, you're actually making the 3 day deadline that RandomGuy said you'd need. Are you getting any sleep *at all?* I think Cave Johnson just performed an experiment on you, because your blood is clearly gasoline.

Great episode as always. It's nice to see Freeman slowly coming to terms with reality.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

the screaming ratio was much lower than the past few episodes of Xen. Because of that, I anticipate people may not like it as much

I might be in the minority then. But I actually prefer the calm and collected Freeman (opposed to the screaming Freeman) as he tends to analyze more and postulate the peculiar situation he is in. It's just my kind cup of tea, really.

Also. Dayum, these episodes are coming out fast now!

Wow that was amazing and at good pace too! I suppose this was the last chance we had at ever explaining this place in a sensible way XD Though the non-violent vorts in the next one will be fun.

I think of the screaming and yelling as a complement to the cooler, more analytical side. Too much ruins the dinner, but I haven't seen that "too much" in this. Especially since going to Xen would make anyone go guano.

It may be a day or two before I can get the subtitles for this out. I hope to have it out before Episode 66 is released. I'd work on it right now but I got like 2 hours sleep last night then worked all day. I'm zonked out. Have patience, folks. :)

I actually had a dream last night about the end of the series. I'll tell you how it went.

Freeman's on the final train car with the G-Man, eventually goes out the door. "Wisely done, Mr. Freeman! Wisely done..."

Then it's blackness and silence. And Freeman starts talking. How long have I been here? Why can't I move or feel anything? This goes on for several minutes. Just blackness while he ponders his thoughts.

Then at the very end of the episode... "Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman... rise... and shine..."

Man I'll be disappointed as shit if this doesn't happen.

On one side, that would be freaking awesome

On the other, people are gonna freak out waiting for the next "season" (since Ross obviously has to take a very long vacation)... it would be a terrible cliffhanger! But a great one

Everything's going to the Great Finale! Ross indeed needs some vacation from Freeman, you like it or not... and I need a vacation too because I'm the very first person who listens to all the screaming of Freeman (and our neigbours hear it too :lol: ). [i'm Ross's girlfriend if you don't know]

I love Freeman's Mind and you'd think it's a blessing, hearing almost every episode recording... but it's a mix :P So yeah, everybody needs a break from the neurotic scientist. I hope you people give Ross little hard time in the new year 8-)

I'd just like to say this is my very personal opinion. 8-)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Everything's going to the Great Finale! Ross indeed needs some vacation from Freeman, you like it or not... and I need a vacation too because I'm the very first person who listens to all the screaming of Freeman (and our neigbours hear it too :lol: ). [i'm Ross's girlfriend if you don't know]

I love Freeman's Mind and you'd think it's a blessing, hearing almost every episode recording... but it's a mix :P So yeah, everybody needs a break from the neurotic scientist. I hope you people give Ross little hard time in the new year 8-)

I'd just like to say this is my very personal opinion. 8-)

You're so lucky being married to Ross and stuff. :oops:

I wanna say something real quick.

Does anyone know that feeling of want, of need, after an amazing, wonderful experience comes to an end, but not fully?

Like, have you ever played a game through to the end, and loved every second of it, but something nagging inside of you says that even though you know the sequel will be just as great, the experience won't be the same?

It's a feeling of mixed emotion. You look forward to the new experience, and it might even be better than the previous one, but it's just not the same experience.

I'm starting to feel that way about Freeman's Mind, now that Half-Life: Source is coming to a close.

It's been a goddamn great ride so far, and it's not becoming any less exciting as we're finishing up, but once Half-Life: Source ends, the ride will come to an end.

And no matter how great the next ride is gonna be, it just won't be the same rollercoaster. It could possibly be a better one, with more exciting loops and turns and twists, and leave you feeling great at the end.

But until the end of that ride, you just can't escape the nostalgia of the last one. The wish that somehow, it could have been longer.

For myself, and I'm sure the same goes for many others, Freeman's Mind has created memories. The laughs, and the favorite quotes we'll always remember. And if/when Freeman's Mind Season 2 comes out, more of these great memories will be made, but there will always be something special about the first.

A great example is with Pokemon games. Millions love Pokemon, the new games and the old. But even if they love the new games just as much as the old ones, there'll always be something special about the first game(s) they played. A sort of emotional attachment.

What I'm trying to say is, even though it's not quite over yet, I'm already getting a feeling of loving, happy nostalgia for the first season of Freeman's Mind. And no matter how much I might want it to keep going forever, the Freeman Train is coming to a stop, because for HL:S, the end of the track is coming up. But I can't wait to board the next train, because I'm sure it'll be a newer model, fully equipped with refreshments, snacks and heated seats!

I just needed to get that out. I hold Freeman's Mind close to my heart, like a beloved book series or game franchise. It also helps that Half-Life, to me, is a beloved game franchise.

My apologies if anyone thinks I'm too attached to a YouTube series, but honestly, without Freeman's Mind, there'd be a big hole in my heart that nothing else could fill, y'know?

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

Does anyone know that feeling of want, of need, after an amazing, wonderful experience comes to an end, but not fully?

Like, have you ever played a game through to the end, and loved every second of it, but something nagging inside of you says that even though you know the sequel will be just as great, the experience won't be the same?

It's a feeling of mixed emotion. You look forward to the new experience, and it might even be better than the previous one, but it's just not the same experience.

I'm starting to feel that way about Freeman's Mind, now that Half-Life: Source is coming to a close.

It's been a goddamn great ride so far, and it's not becoming any less exciting as we're finishing up, but once Half-Life: Source ends, the ride will come to an end.

And no matter how great the next ride is gonna be, it just won't be the same rollercoaster. It could possibly be a better one, with more exciting loops and turns and twists, and leave you feeling great at the end.

But until the end of that ride, you just can't escape the nostalgia of the last one. The wish that somehow, it could have been longer.

For myself, and I'm sure the same goes for many others, Freeman's Mind has created memories. The laughs, and the favorite quotes we'll always remember. And if/when Freeman's Mind Season 2 comes out, more of these great memories will be made, but there will always be something special about the first.

A great example is with Pokemon games. Millions love Pokemon, the new games and the old. But even if they love the new games just as much as the old ones, there'll always be something special about the first game(s) they played. A sort of emotional attachment.

What I'm trying to say is, even though it's not quite over yet, I'm already getting a feeling of loving, happy nostalgia for the first season of Freeman's Mind. And no matter how much I might want it to keep going forever, the Freeman Train is coming to a stop, because for HL:S, the end of the track is coming up. But I can't wait to board the next train, because I'm sure it'll be a newer model, fully equipped with refreshments, snacks and heated seats!

I just needed to get that out. I hold Freeman's Mind close to my heart, like a beloved book series or game franchise. It also helps that Half-Life, to me, is a beloved game franchise.

My apologies if anyone thinks I'm too attached to a YouTube series, but honestly, without Freeman's Mind, there'd be a big hole in my heart that nothing else could fill, y'know?

Nah, I know what you mean. Maybe it's because I subconsciously connect this series to certain points in my life- but that's how nostalgia works, right? I remember laughing my ass of the first time I stumbled upon it on Youtube. I remember watching it with my friends in middle school. I remember my first reactions to many of the quotes (the beginning of episode 13 in particular had me laughing like a madman). I remember the feeling of giddiness and excitement I got when I came home to see a new episode had come out.

It's weird to think about now, but some of us have been following this series for seven years. I've "only" been following it for six (I'm pretty sure) as of now, but it is still the only web series I have consistently followed for this long of a time. I grew up with Freeman's Mind (Civil Protection too, but that had less of an impact because the episodes were so few and far between), same as I did with all of the movies, books, TV shows, and games I read/watched/played. I started watching in middle school, and I'll soon be attending college. It was and still is what I watch when I just want to kick back, relax, and laugh, due to the simple premise and constant barrage of jokes. It's not the only work that I do this for (films such as Anchorman and Spaceballs being other examples) but it's definitely the one I've watched the most and keep coming back to.

This series is what got me into Half-Life (which itself got me into PC gaming in general). Ever since I've played Half-Life 1, I've always been eager to see how Ross would handle Freeman's reaction to certain sections, from the three-story tall tentacle monster to the military death squads to the arrival on Xen. In fact, I still do anticipate his reaction to the last few levels (the Nihilanth will be a definite WTF moment for Freeman, though I hope he doesn't just blunder and kill it by accident or something). But yes, the game is coming to a close- and even though our favorite neurotic, paranoid, sociopath might continue his adventures due to fan demand... it still feels like the end, you know? Well, at least it's a good Christmas present.

Anyway. Solid episode all around. My favorite bit was when Freeman casually added another armed, suited scientist to the tally after seeing a barnacle vomit up human remains. I like the little things like that, e.g. Freeman again referring to I'm surprised that he's not more panicked about finding bloody corpses of people who are equipped the same way as him inside alien caves, but I guess he's just desensitized at this point. Also, a couple of those Tau Cannon shots ricocheted off of the Grunt's armor (that stuff no-sells anything smaller than an autocannon, from 9mm to .50 BMG). Shouldn't Freeman have noticed that when discussing the Tau Cannon's effectiveness?

Next up: the factory. It's good that Gordon didn't shoot the Vorts in this episode; I think him being weirded out/surprised/happy when seeing the next few Vortigaunts has more comedic potential than him just shooting them. I noticed that bit of foreshadowing too- when Freeman said he doubts the aliens even have working industry, and are basically savages.

One thing, though- you claimed you killed a Xen tentacle. How? Those things are invulnerable normally. They can only be killed in a scripted sequence.

Awesome video Ross

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Well, he didn't shoot the two Vorts that bugged out and hence where non-hostile. Gives me hope of NOT having Freeman go on a killing spree in the next area (which should be the first map of Interlopers? Where you have to use elevators to get into the rotor with the green teleporter at the top)

Nah, I know what you mean. Maybe it's because I subconsciously connect this series to certain points in my life- but that's how nostalgia works, right? I remember laughing my ass of the first time I stumbled upon it on Youtube. I remember watching it with my friends in middle school. I remember my first reactions to many of the quotes (the beginning of episode 13 in particular had me laughing like a madman). I remember the feeling of giddiness and excitement I got when I came home to see a new episode had come out.

It's weird to think about now, but some of us have been following this series for seven years. I've "only" been following it for six (I'm pretty sure) as of now, but it is still the only web series I have consistently followed for this long of a time. I grew up with Freeman's Mind (Civil Protection too, but that had less of an impact because the episodes were so few and far between), same as I did with all of the movies, books, TV shows, and games I read/watched/played. I started watching in middle school, and I'll soon be attending college. It was and still is what I watch when I just want to kick back, relax, and laugh, due to the simple premise and constant barrage of jokes. It's not the only work that I do this for (films such as Anchorman and Spaceballs being other examples) but it's definitely the one I've watched the most and keep coming back to.

This series is what got me into Half-Life (which itself got me into PC gaming in general). Ever since I've played Half-Life 1, I've always been eager to see how Ross would handle Freeman's reaction to certain sections, from the three-story tall tentacle monster to the military death squads to the arrival on Xen. In fact, I still do anticipate his reaction to the last few levels (the Nihilanth will be a definite WTF moment for Freeman, though I hope he doesn't just blunder and kill it by accident or something). But yes, the game is coming to a close- and even though our favorite neurotic, paranoid, sociopath might continue his adventures due to fan demand... it still feels like the end, you know? Well, at least it's a good Christmas present.

Well said.

I wish I could say I've been following FM for that long. Though I'd watched the "whole" series/knew about it since a while before episode 43 (the last big pause before the Machinima crisis), I only really started actively following the development and release of Freeman's Mind since early 2013, about midway through aforementioned crisis.

I had always assumed Freeman's Mind's creator to be like any other Machinima drone, pushing out content for the sake of money and nothing else. But then I read through Ross's blog a bit and started seeing him as an actual person, which made me feel much more attached to a series that I already thought was great.

It makes me kinda sad to think about, I always manage to discover things late enough where I can't say I've been there since the beginning. But at least it feels great to be here now.

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

Anyway. Solid episode all around. My favorite bit was when Freeman casually added another armed, suited scientist to the tally after seeing a barnacle vomit up human remains. I like the little things like that, e.g. Freeman again referring to I'm surprised that he's not more panicked about finding bloody corpses of people who are equipped the same way as him inside alien caves, but I guess he's just desensitized at this point. Also, a couple of those Tau Cannon shots ricocheted off of the Grunt's armor (that stuff no-sells anything smaller than an autocannon, from 9mm to .50 BMG). Shouldn't Freeman have noticed that when discussing the Tau Cannon's effectiveness?

Next up: the factory. It's good that Gordon didn't shoot the Vorts in this episode; I think him being weirded out/surprised/happy when seeing the next few Vortigaunts has more comedic potential than him just shooting them. I noticed that bit of foreshadowing too- when Freeman said he doubts the aliens even have working industry, and are basically savages.

One thing, though- you claimed you killed a Xen tentacle. How? Those things are invulnerable normally. They can only be killed in a scripted sequence.

my gods. you just made me realize that freeman's mind is the longest thing I've actually watched/kept up on. I knew about it before I really started following it too from watching my dad watch it, then I forgot about it for at least a year and discovered it again in middle school... So many people who make original content who then just dump it suddenly after a year or three, or it just feels draining after so many years (like naruto*shudders*, it's got to be in 2nd for longest thing I've kept up on.) Pretty sure I started a bit before ross made this site back when he posted on a blog.

I don't know what is about your brand of comedy ross, but I love it. I hate the over the top shit comedies that hollywood pumps out, where everything that could go wrong does and it's supposed to be funny? Maybe it's just too overdone for me... I love nitpicking and poking fun at how things are designed more than I thought I guess.

edit: had fun digging thru the old blog and found the last episode ross was going to post :P

ZYiG8eb.png

I wonder if in an alternate reality ross scott did stop making freeman's mind there.

my gods. you just made me realize that freeman's mind is the longest thing I've actually watched/kept up on. I knew about it before I really started following it too from watching my dad watch it, then I forgot about it for at least a year and discovered it again in middle school... So many people who make original content who then just dump it suddenly after a year or three, or it just feels draining after so many years (like naruto*shudders*, it's got to be in 2nd for longest thing I've kept up on.) Pretty sure I started a bit before ross made this site back when he posted on a blog.

I don't know what is about your brand of comedy ross, but I love it. I hate the over the top shit comedies that hollywood pumps out, where everything that could go wrong does and it's supposed to be funny? Maybe it's just too overdone for me... I love nitpicking and poking fun at how things are designed more than I thought I guess.

edit: had fun digging thru the old blog and found the last episode ross was going to post :P

ZYiG8eb.png

I wonder if in an alternate reality ross scott did stop making freeman's mind there.

NOOOOOOOOO! Than me and Ross would never ever meet! :(

You're so lucky being married to Ross and stuff. :oops:

Oh, hehe. Thank you! It's still hard for me to realize the scale of things that has changed with meeting Ross. But we're not exactly married... yet ;)

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Ah,i'll miss Freeman's Mind(unless if it continues to HL2).It's been 7 years since me and my older brother heard about this funny machinima series.And then i just couldn't stop watching it with him. Oh the laughs. :D

I guess this is gonna be it Ross,you have made a masterpiece of a machinima series(along with Civil Protection).I'll watch this series to the end.

"FUCK YOU REALITY!!YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!!!"

"Hark! Dost thou hear with thine ears what I hear with mine? Interloper! No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend! Anon! Show thyself, churl!"

http://myanimelist.net/profile/MantisDude

Who knows, maybe during the break Ross will finally have an easier way to make Civil Protection without sacrificing quality. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he already found one and I missed this.

Well finally! Its about time Gordon started treating himself as the god he is.

Really though Ross, I hope you've been okay recently. Take some time off for the holidays and yourself if you need to. I know you made a promise earlier this year through your fundraiser that you want to keep, but I won't hold anything against you if you can't meet the deadline. You've done more than a great deal for the online community and your fans as a whole.

But anyways Happy Holidays Lord of Xen!