ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: POLARIS SNOCROSS

Watched it. Loved it!

Just a quick note of interest for those that are waiting for subs for this:

With the end of the year fast approaching, if an episode of Freeman's Mind comes out while I'm making the subtitles for this Game Dungeon, I will postpone it and work on Freeman's Mind, then return to Polaris Snocross. It may be a couple days before I can get this one out the door, though.

Do other episodes of Game Dungeon have subtitles? Not asking for them, I'm just curious.

Merry Xmas all and Thanks for this episode Ross

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

I do kinda count your Eternam episode a Xmas Episode since it was released on xmas

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

I don't think you should focus too hard on making game dungeons concise. I can't speak for everyone, but one of the things I like most about these videos is how it's just some guy rambling about a years-old obscure and forgotten game. And the more rambling = more fun!
This is something I want to bring up for my announcement video after FM. I want to get a better idea of what the audience is looking for (I plan to cover a ton of stuff).

The big question is has the effort of this video cost you the deadline of finishing HL1 on released video by Jan 1 2015?

Only time will tell...

Hey, I'm still taking bets if you think I can't do it. I give you my word I'm not just sitting on the episodes, I still need to finish them off. I'm not starting from scratch though.

Yeah Im starting to think Polaris sno cross was a rip-off, it looks very similar, the tricks, the upgrade system etc.

Sled Storm one of the greatest games made (not blinded by nostalgia, I still play it)

It very likely is a ripoff, but I say there's no shame in creating a good ripoff. I'm not sure Snocross was that exactly. As for Sled Storm, I took a look at some footage of it, but it looks like they were pushing the draw distance too hard. I may be a bit spoiled now of being able to see the horizon.

tbh for some reason i was quite suprised to see xp as o
I run Windows 7, I couldn't go earlier than Windows XP and still have Direct3D support for emulation.

I kind of can't believe you used a hex editor to modify the game
I was following this guide:

http://www.wsgf.org/article/hex-editing-tutorial-simcity-4-example

I've actually gotten a game to work like this before.

Six days left...

The clock is ticking...

I don't want to see any more comments like this unless you've already made a bet. (if you have, I lost track).

I just registered to chime in with my thanks and another plea for not shortening the game dungeons! It should go without saying forcing yourself to stretch them out without having anything to say would be bad, but I've never had the feeling that the game dungeons are too long. The longer the better! I don't feel they need to be more concise, I like the medium-to-long format and I think it fits.

Thanks and good luck towards new year's!

...and now it's friday and that means more freemans mind most likely since Ross has committed himself and fridays have become the norm for new FMs lately. Merry Christmas to all!

I know it's been a while since i've posted here but i'm still watching and loving the videos Ross! Excellent work and I wish you the best. I'm sure you've made your mind up a long time ago whether you're going to continue FM through into HL2, however, I for one would be very excited to see you continue on past half-life 1. Compared to other video series' i've tried to watch, this is truly great stuff. The proof is in the pudding if after 7 or 8 years you still have a loyal following.

I don't know what you might be looking for in a video creation engine, other than not being buggy, but unity seems to be able to produce some great stuff. Have you considered Unity?

YdNdEuU30m4

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

I'm personally rather excited about there only being 5 days left in the FM deadline.

Just means that there's about to be a fairly large concentration of Freeman's Mind over the week!

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

I registered here specifically to make this comment (long time lurker here).

I think you found the right balance between video content and cut content with this episode. I specifically think this because ~20 minutes is a nice length, and also because I got to read all the content you almost put in the video but didn't. It's like an extra bonus just for those of us who care, while everyone else can go back to work (or whatever people do when not watching internet videos). Kinda like alt-text on webcomics.

tbh for some reason i was quite suprised to see xp as o

I run Windows 7, I couldn't go earlier than Windows XP and still have Direct3D support for emulation.

You might want to check out DxWnd to get better legacy DirectX emulation. It sells itself as "...intercepts system calls to make fullscreen programs running in a window, to support a better compatibility..." but it's really much more than that. It's a DirectX hack program that gives you a bunch of rendering and legacy DirectX emulation options, the kind of complexity you'd see in a console emulator.

I'm just curious, why not just have a second partition be a WinXP SP3 x86 install? That typically would allow for a lot of things to work properly.

Thank you for the great Christmas present, Ross!

Concerning episode length, I'm with the posters in this thread who say that they have nothing against long episodes. So far, I can't remember having been bored by anything you put out. You do such a great job talking about games or whatever that it's just always interesting. You always find great and entertaining stuff to say. So I guess that as long as you think it's worth mentioning, it probably is fit for the video. You obviously shouldn't overdo it, but I feel like I could enjoy a lot of Game Dungeon talk. Even if the stuff is only a bit related. Again, you do a great job presenting it and it simply is interesting.

As to the January video: Is that going to be the one where you revisit things from the earlier Game Dungeons (like the maps and such) or are you keeping that for seperate video?

I'm just curious, why not just have a second partition be a WinXP SP3 x86 install? That typically would allow for a lot of things to work properly.
Just make sure that you disable all network cards.

I registered here specifically to make this comment (long time lurker here).

I think you found the right balance between video content and cut content with this episode. I specifically think this because ~20 minutes is a nice length, and also because I got to read all the content you almost put in the video but didn't. It's like an extra bonus just for those of us who care, while everyone else can go back to work (or whatever people do when not watching internet videos). Kinda like alt-text on webcomics.

I'm pretty happy with how this one came out as well. It's not about the length I'm aiming for so much as trying to chop down the episodes to just the best parts instead of every last fact about the game.

You might want to check out DxWnd to get better legacy DirectX emulation. It sells itself as "...intercepts system calls to make fullscreen programs running in a window, to support a better compatibility..." but it's really much more than that. It's a DirectX hack program that gives you a bunch of rendering and legacy DirectX emulation options, the kind of complexity you'd see in a console emulator.
I will definitely look into that, I hadn't heard of it. My guess is Polaris would still crash on launch under 7 anyway, but I might be able to use that for other games in the future.

I TRIED THAT. IT WON'T WORK. The game is a BASTARD. I had it running that way 3 years ago and the only thing that's changed hardware-wise since then has been my motherboard. I guess that was enough! I didn't even use a second partition, I just hooked up an extra smaller hard drive and installed XP that way.

I TRIED THAT. IT WON'T WORK. The game is a BASTARD. I had it running that way 3 years ago and the only thing that's changed hardware-wise since then has been my motherboard. I guess that was enough! I didn't even use a second partition, I just hooked up an extra smaller hard drive and installed XP that way.

OH WHAT THE HELL OKAY NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY YOU'RE SO PISSED THIS GAME ISN'T EVEN THAT OLD WHY WON'T IT JUST WORK

At least no sound card drivers.

Put me in as another vote for not shortening Game Dungeon episodes. I enjoy them immensely, even if they get rambly and long.

Should make one about a older RTS Strategy game its already kinda a niche genre to begin with but there are some great games out there for it thou and i really just hope to see something i have never heard of to play it lol

Back by popular demand!

Should make one about a older RTS Strategy game its already kinda a niche genre to begin with but there are some great games out there for it thou and i really just hope to see something i have never heard of to play it lol
Oh I plan to, and I have a perfect one lined up, though it's going to take more time since it's more involved. Time has NOT been in ample supply this year.

Oh I plan to, and I have a perfect one lined up, though it's going to take more time since it's more involved. Time has NOT been in ample supply this year.

I swear, with all of these episodes, you're overworking yourself.