FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 67

It's a great feeling knowing that Ross is on a deadline. Any hour he could release the final(?) episode of the series. So I'm just sitting here refreshing away.

Jeez, where was I when this series started?

Well, I'm a senior in high school now. And I wanna say I got into it while I was in Middle School, maybe even Elementary.

Halo Remakes, Pokemon Remakes, and now the end of Freeman's Mind. Damn you, passage of time!

Anyway, this series has always been near and dear to me, it has entertained me and even inspired me. When I grow up, I'd like to be a writer or voice actor (or both) and that may be largely because of Ross and this series. To think that my future and my quality of life could be completely different based on a YouTube series seems crazy. And it is.

Thank you, Ross, for seven crazy years!

(And here's to many more!)

Finally got around to registering today, but I've been a lonnnggg time lurker.

Where does the time go huh? I started watching this series in 2010, granted not as long as everyone else has been watching it. But still that's been what, 4-5 years?

It's been such an incredible entertaining ride. Since watching this series, I have been through two relationships, some of the roughest times in my life, and in 2010 I met my best friend online, and in just a few days we are actually physically meeting. It's insane. And yet through everything that has happened I was still marathoning old episodes and tuning into the new episode of Freeman's Mind regularly. I love the Game Dungeon as well, it's my favorite game review show on youtube. I'm excited to see all of what future projects you have planned.

This series and you have inspired me, made me laugh when I was at my lowest, and have just been such a significant part of my life! It's something I will never forget!

Thank you Ross :)

Where does the time go huh? I started watching this series in 2010, granted not as long as everyone else has been watching it. But still that's been what, 4-5 years?

You want to know where the time goes? I started watching this way back in 2008 when the third episode came out and Ross could've called it quits at the Resonance Cascade. Good god, I still remember the giddiness I felt when the fourth episode came out. Hell, I remember hearing "Does my beard intimidate you?" and wishing I could grow more than ugly teenage stubble - I type this now with a beard you could hide the Knock Nevis in.

It's been a long seven years, and I've been waiting for Half Life 3 for about just as long, funnily enough.

It's a great feeling knowing that Ross is on a deadline. Any hour he could release the final(?) episode of the series. So I'm just sitting here refreshing away.
It won't be any hour, there's a still a hell of a lot of editing for this one. I'm going to try my best to get it out later today, but no promises.

It won't be any hour, there's a still a hell of a lot of editing for this one. I'm going to try my best to get it out later today, but no promises.

You heard it here first folks! Ross promises to finish Freeman’s Mind today!

On a side note. Do you plan to give any notice when you will be uploading it or do you just plan to upload normally without teasing the fans?

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars. -- Carl Sagan

Huh, this episode was a long one. I liked it. Not my absolute favorite or anything, but there's relatively little to talk about in the factory level that hasn't already been covered. The only thing I disliked was the ending. The "scream followed by cut to happy music" cliche seems too... cliche. I would have preferred it ended as he leaped in, or as he heard the Nihilanth scream "FREEEEEEMAAAAAAN!" (he says that before he actually appears on-screen). Oh, and I noticed that little voice cameo. Not a fan of that series, but it was a nice nod nonetheless. Favorite bits:

-[throws two grenades right on top of an alien soldier] "Yeah, your bees won't save you now!" [both grenades explode in the alien's face] "There that should-" [sees alien is still alive] "Jesus!"

-"So that means I'm entering the mustache... it's good to go in heavily armed."

-"You see, you should have jumped into the pit! It's a pit party and you're invited!"

-"Well I don't see anything else. Just this architecture straight out of Willy Wonka vs Hellraiser".

So. Freeman's Mind is finally ending (or at least "season 1" is). I've given my thoughts on it on another episode topic, but suffice to say, I'm surprisingly excited about it. Yeah, it's just a Youtube series, one with a very simple premise and a limited amount of potential for creativity. But it's still been a nice, solid stream of entertainment that's been going on for seven years straight. There's nearly ten hours of it. I've been watching it for 5-6 years. To state the obvious, that's a long time. Plus, over that time, I've kind of become attached to the Freeman character. He's an asshole, yeah, but he's our asshole. And a hilarious asshole.

I look forward to seeing what "special stuff" you have planned for the final episode, as well as what your plans are after HL1 is done since you haven't clarified whether or not this is the end. That, and Civil Protection is still apparently on-hold (the Game Dungeon is alive and well though, it seems). Whatever the answers are, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

EDIT: Slight nitpick, but now that I think about it, why did Gordon say that the aliens couldn't use tools? He should see by now that the Grunts are using guns that shoot deadly toxic hornets [deadly to humans, anyway], and he's seen them set up barriers, organic trip-mines, and even a cannon. Also, while this may just be me fan-wanking, but perhaps the aliens were hoarding human technology? We see several stockpiles of weaponry inside the factory, clearly separate from any bodies. I'm also a bit surprised that Gordon hasn't noticed that the headcrabs ONLY infect humans, especially during his "why do they teleport wildlife here?" rant, and after the scientist tells Gordon that the aliens are "collecting" human explorers. The fact that headcrabs can infect humans at all, to say nothing of the fact that they ONLY infect humans, always confused me. Unless the aliens just created them, I guess, like they created the Grunts.

Don't worry, there is still 24 hours left in 2014.

Maybe even 36-ish, if you count by UTC (but that would be cheating).

Don't forget - we won't appreciate a so-so video AND a lost bet, but everyone would love it to see an awesome video AND win a bet. :)

At last the time has come for my grand marathon d'FM. From a five star hotel in London, no less! I think this is acceptable.

So, does anyone want me to do a FM livestream marathon?

"Exits are supposed to be difficult to locate! Because GOD HELP YOU if someone exited your building by accident. Then, they'd have to come back in!"

"Roger, Roger. What's your Vector, Victor?

So, does anyone want me to do a FM livestream marathon?

I would watch it.

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars. -- Carl Sagan

Ross, man oh man, I gotta give it to you.

I started watching this series in late elementary school--I was about 10 or 11--and started at episode 4. I'm now 17 and a Junior in High School, and this series has actually affected my life pretty decently. Before, I only played Nintendo games, but you introduced me to Half-Life, which coincidentally introduced me to all of Valve and then the entire video game industry. I really got into gaming because of this series, and I just recently got a gaming PC. I even watched the Master Minds people when they were releasing, and I really can't wrap my mind around the fact that your series is finally ending too. I'll probably be a life-long fan of all of your works. I'm already a huge fan of Game Dungeon and obviously FM. Civil Protection was also top notch, but I believe I've heard a lot about the engine being wonky, so I wouldn't be surprised if that series is done for now. I remember in the early episodes of Freeman's Mind, I didn't know a single thing about Half-Life. Those episodes were so trippy to me because I had never seen anything like that, and to this day I still remember the mix of confusion and awe and wonder I had watching those episodes.

But anyways Ross, I wanted to thank you for creating such an enduring series and thank you for indirectly introducing me to the world of PC gaming and normal gaming. Reading all the other comments, I can see all these people were equally affected, and I hope you know you did a superb job. I'm going to be on edge all day knowing that the final episode will come out at any moment. Thanks for the series, Ross, and can't wait for your future stuff! :D

I'd like to think that somewhere, in some universe, Willy Wonka Versus Hellraiser is an actual movie you can go to your local cinema to see.

Wonderful as always, Ross. I loved the cameo and Freeman's reaction to the Nihilanth. Now, was it me, or was there a bit of frame skipping happening in things far away from "the camera?" I'm assuming this is the Source Engine's fault.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Reading that kinda made me shudder. It's like it's my birthday and I've just been told "Well maAAAaaAaaybe we got you that one thing you've always wanted... Guess you'll just have to wait and see!"

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.