What's your OS?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What's your OS?

• Windows
    • MacOS
    • Linux (ie. Ubuntu)
    • Other (please specify)

Sign in to follow this  

I'm running both windows and mac. And both are good.

and lol. Only person so far to have a Mac....

Retired Forum Moderator

I have a feeling Mac is becoming a bit unpopular among PC users.

Only among those who have actual knowledge of the hardware, software, and what the real virus protection status of macs is.

Macs have fewer viruses, that is the only part that has ever been true about what Apple says for the issue. I know of several that will actually lodge themselves in the various pieces of hardware's firmware, essentially destroying every piece of the Mac. None of these viruses have ever been fixed.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Even when security holes get discovered Apple deny them. That sort of attitude is not only childish, it puts the users at risk.

I have a feeling Mac is becoming a bit unpopular among PC users.

Only among those who have actual knowledge of the hardware, software, and what the real virus protection status of macs is.

Macs have fewer viruses, that is the only part that has ever been true about what Apple says for the issue. I know of several that will actually lodge themselves in the various pieces of hardware's firmware, essentially destroying every piece of the Mac. None of these viruses have ever been fixed.

Well, lucky for me I haven't seen any yet. and firefox has been nice enough to let me know of reported attack sites. But yeah, it is a downside that they use the fewer viruses excuse as a crutch not to fix the ones that do get in.

But for me, the mac is the recreational/internet usage computer and the PC is the school/gaming computer(after all, game design student here. )

But I have to say. when I'm not playing video games, I really prefer the mac to PC. probably because my PC has been giving me 11 months of crap for the 12 months I've had it.

Retired Forum Moderator

Regarding Linux, getting it just because 90% of all PC viruses are incompatible with it and not getting any antivirus is a bit stupid. In some cases, Linux can actually protect the viruses from getting detected and then infect your Windows installation if you are running dualboot.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

my PC has been giving me 11 months of crap for the 12 months I've had it.

If you be a little more specific I might be able to help you with that...

Well, it's been solved. but it's been things like broken screen pixels, fried motherboard, Corrupt system files, etc. It's a laptop btw. Alienware(yeah, that alone is explains a bit)

To give the history it's been through(these include everything from hardware to software problems):

Fresh out of the box, pixels on the screen started turning red. Tech guy said the pixel mirrors were falling out. So we had the screen replaced, but in the process, the motherboard got knocked loose and the screen was now losing connection, powering on and off rapidly, and more severely when bumped or moved in any way.

SO they sent me a whole new computer after 4 failed attempts at fixing it. worked fine for a little while, then suddenly the computers speed just dropped significantly, and even crashing when having to deal with more than one program. as it turned out, he computer somehow had obtained over 70+ startup programs that ate the RAM like candy.

Then after fixing that, the computer then wouldn't turn off properly, sitting at the "shutting down" screen for hours on end. not sure what happened to fix this as it went away midway through the most recent issue which was a shattered screen.

But the many various software problems I've been getting is the antivirus crashing, programs refusing to install, getting locked out of my own account due to the inability to access necessary information to log in(that was probably the most frustrating to deal with. I made Geek Squad rich), self deleting dll files, and then the endless sea of incompatibility with older software. :x

as for my mac, the only problem I've gotten was the OS installed broke somehow and it was apparently due to Blizzard Entertainments patch 4.0 for World of Warcraft. and that was swiftly and easily fixed with the repair disk, which kept all my hard drive files(ftw)

but my PC is currently working fine right now, but for how much longer, idk.

Retired Forum Moderator

But the many various software problems I've been getting is the antivirus crashing, programs refusing to install, getting locked out of my own account due to the inability to access necessary information to log in(that was probably the most frustrating to deal with. I made Geek Squad rich), self deleting dll files, and then the endless sea of incompatibility with older software. :x

Sounds like several viruses I know of... (besides the old program incompatibility)

What AV do you use?

Well, it's been solved. but it's been things like broken screen pixels, fried motherboard, Corrupt system files, etc. It's a laptop btw. Alienware(yeah, that alone is explains a bit)

To give the history it's been through(these include everything from hardware to software problems):

Fresh out of the box, pixels on the screen started turning red. Tech guy said the pixel mirrors were falling out. So we had the screen replaced, but in the process, the motherboard got knocked loose and the screen was now losing connection, powering on and off rapidly, and more severely when bumped or moved in any way.

SO they sent me a whole new computer after 4 failed attempts at fixing it. worked fine for a little while, then suddenly the computers speed just dropped significantly, and even crashing when having to deal with more than one program. as it turned out, he computer somehow had obtained over 70+ startup programs that ate the RAM like candy.

Then after fixing that, the computer then wouldn't turn off properly, sitting at the "shutting down" screen for hours on end. not sure what happened to fix this as it went away midway through the most recent issue which was a shattered screen.

as for my mac, the only problem I've gotten was the OS installed broke somehow and it was apparently due to Blizzard Entertainments patch 4.0 for World of Warcraft. and that was swiftly and easily fixed with the repair disk, which kept all my hard drive files(ftw)

but my PC is currently working fine right now, but for how much longer, idk.

Jesus christ, that's a lot of torture...

I guess now you don't really trust Alienware that much...

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Sounds like several viruses I know of... (besides the old program incompatibility)

What AV do you use?

Well, I used to use Norton but when that expired I switched to Kaspersky.

I guess now you don't really trust Alienware that much...

Lol, nailed it. When this goes, I'm going with an ASUS since I heard they're pretty good for the field I'm going into.

Retired Forum Moderator

Well, the one that came with the computer was McCafee which is like a virus in itself. it's a bad program to start with but you can't remove it unless you uninstall it in safemode. Else it leaves behind a ghost which prevents you from installing new AV's.

Retired Forum Moderator

I don't understand how some people can get drowned in viruses, it has been many many years since I saw any malware on my systems, if we don't count PC game DRM. For some years I even had no anti-malware software installed at all, and my PC was always working 100% in both speed and stability.

Is that just luck or is the source of most problems with Windows computers sitting in front of the monitor?

I actually never had a virus in years(every now and then on my old PC, but none on my "new" PC). I am using avira AV.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, I used to use Norton but when that expired I switched to Kaspersky.

Norton is an OK AV now, for the newest version anyways...

Try switching to Avast! Free... It has better protection than most paid AVs, and it's completely free. (free forever, just renew the free licence once a year)

I'm currently using Avast! Internet Security, (their biggest baddest version) on the 2 year sub... Cost me $60 for 2 computers for 2 years, and I have yet to get a false positive, computer slowdown, or actual viral infection. (I should have by now too, what with what I do online)

I haven't had serious virus infections since 2007.

Oh that's... great

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"