FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 68

You realize G-man is not his official name right? It's a common abbreviation for Government man, they dubbed him that because he has the appearance of a stereotypical government official

He's called Gman by the fans because that's what his model and audio files are titled. Yopu can check for yourself at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life\valve\sound\Gman

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life\valve\models

Yes, he is title the "G-man" by valve, as filler for the his real name, and the reason being as what I stated already, he has the appearance of a typical "g-man" or government official, look up the term yourself, and you'll see

Yes, he is title the "G-man" by valve, as filler for the his real name, and the reason being as what I stated already, he has the appearance of a typical "g-man" or government official, look up the term yourself, and you'll see

Er, I'm aware of the origin of the term G-man. All I was saying is that the reason we, as a community, call him G-man is because that's what his files were called, not because that's his "canon name".

This thread didn't take long to stop being fun.

Yeah, I've noticed these threads seem to have a habit of becoming a massive argument over what is "canon" and what isn't. If you ask me, they really should take that elsewhere because this is supposed to be about the final episode of Freeman's Mind, damnnit! This thread shouldn't have pointless arguing, it should be about how Ross did an awesome job with the series (and of course, this episode).

Yeah, I've noticed these threads seem to have a habit of becoming a massive argument over what is "canon" and what isn't. If you ask me, they really should take that elsewhere because this is supposed to be about the final episode of Freeman's Mind, damnnit! This thread shouldn't have pointless arguing, it should be about how Ross did an awesome job with the series (and of course, this episode).

I agree. My original reply got lost within two people arguing over ideas they don't even know everything about. That stuff should be moved to a new thread. Also, they would need Marc Laidlaw to join in on the conversation in order for it to be more valid.

"I'm not really the sentimental type, but.... well, no, I'm not."

Amazing series, can't wait to see what other work Ross has planned. I will say this though, if Ross, you're at all concerned about your finances in the coming years you could just launch another fundraiser this time for continuing Freeman's Mind into Half-Life 2. If you thought you got a lot of money from that first fundraiser, I bet you could get even more if you put continuing Freeman's Mind into Half-Life 2 at $15,000 of donations. I know I'd chip in and from some of the other comments on this forum I'm not the only one. Just an idea if you need any extra incentive to keep making Freeman's Mind (of course that doesn't mean you couldn't take a nice long break from a series you've been putting an insane amount of hours into these past few months, I'm just saying it'd be a huge relief if you told you would continue FM at all).

I agree. My original reply got lost within two people arguing over ideas they don't even know everything about.

That's a bit of a slap in the face, don't you think?

Er, I'm aware of the origin of the term G-man. All I was saying is that the reason we, as a community, call him G-man is because that's what his files were called, not because that's his "canon name".

Hasn't Laidlaw referred to Gman as Gman?

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

We already have over 13 fucking pages of people sucking Ross' dick and reminiscing on the past 7 years. It's about time we have an actual discussion and not just a big fuck-off circlejerk.

We already have over 13 fucking pages of people sucking Ross' dick and reminiscing on the past 7 years. It's about time we have an actual discussion and not just a big fuck-off circlejerk.

Then make a thread about the discussion in the Valve Games / Valve Stuff section. It's there for a reason and there's also a pinned topic about this very problem in the Free-For-All section because this very thing was a problem a few years ago. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2018

It doesn't matter what's been going on for 13 pages. That's not an excuse to start a debate that has nothing to do with the topic itself.

Edit: Here I made one for you guys. Have at it. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7646

Retired Forum Moderator

I've been a long time lurker and yeah, these threads seem to head off topic and it's usually the same people who guide them that way. There are many topics elsewhere and they should be used as necessary. These threads are for discussion of the episode in the title.

Then go and have a discussion elsewhere. If you're done congratulating Ross on a job well done (or if you simply don't respect his work, as determined by the malicious tone of your post) then post elsewhere and don't visit this thread.

Honestly, can't we all just be happy?

Despite what I may have said earlier, I am very happy with this episode and I don't mind if people want to congratulate Ross on a job well done. What I do mind, however, is people saying the exact same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over... This commentary on the G-Man's aesthetic was very refreshing and honestly seems a lot more relevant to the video than the 270 other posts about people going to college and how many kids they've had in the past 7 years.

Why does everything have to be happy? I don't see anything wrong with a heated discussion.

Despite what I may have said earlier, I am very happy with this episode and I don't mind if people want to congratulate Ross on a job well done. What I do mind, however, is people saying the exact same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over... This commentary on the G-Man's aesthetic was very refreshing and honestly seems a lot more relevant to the video than the 270 other posts about people going to college and how many kids they've had in the past 7 years.

Why does everything have to be happy? I don't see anything wrong with a heated discussion.

You have some valid points there.

However no one is going to give two fucks about those because you're fucking vulgar.

It took six years to get a physics degree. Don't do what I did, try engineering or social studies.

You have some valid points there.

However no one is going to give two fucks about those because you're fucking vulgar.

Well you can go fuck yourself then you goddamn motherfucking piece of shit!

Jokes aside, I did fly off the handle a bit. It just kinda ticked me off how Mr Nutt said this thread should only be about praising Ross and anything that strays off that is pointless arguing and should be it's own separate thread. I'm actually starting to think we should start a new thread for the episode seeing as how cluttered this one is and I think only 2 pages of it discuss Freeman's line of reasoning.

And this kind of crap right here is why I find it so hard to join a bloody community. Say one thing that someone doesn't agree with and they snap at you. Seriously, this was just uncalled for.

Seriously guys, quit it. We've somehow managed to get off topic by talking about being off topic and no one is being nice about any of it. All signs point to letting it go.

Retired Forum Moderator

Seriously guys, quit it. We've somehow managed to get off topic by talking about being off topic and no one is being nice about any of it. All signs point to letting it go.

Sorry about that, that rude reply caught me off guard. I really shouldn't make myself part of the problem.

Now for something on topic. I wonder when we're going to get that follow up video that explains what Ross is going to do now he is free from Freeman's Mind.

Sorry about that, that rude reply caught me off guard. I really shouldn't make myself part of the problem.

I'm sorry I snapped at you. I posted that reply pretty much immediately after I wrote it while I was still very heated. And honestly, it was a really stupid thing to get so heated over in the first place. I'm really sorry.

I'd still like this thread to be discussion on the actual episode itself, whether you loved it or hated it. A thread where everyone agrees on how wonderful and special the episode is would a pretty boring thread in my opinion. But hey, say whatever you want to say. I'm not in charge.

I'm sorry I snapped at you. I posted that reply pretty much immediately after I wrote it while I was still very heated. And honestly, it was a really stupid thing to get so heated over in the first place. I'm really sorry.

I'd still like this thread to be discussion on the actual episode itself, whether you loved it or hated it. A thread where everyone agrees on how wonderful and special the episode is would a pretty boring thread in my opinion. But hey, say whatever you want to say. I'm not in charge.

Since you apologised, I'll forgive you... for now. I guess I worded the post a little badly since I was ill at the time and not thinking properly. But yeah, opinions of all kinds on the episode should be welcome.