FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 68

Well he refers to government property, implying that he already has knowlege. Besides the vibe he gives off, "g-man" is a term way older than Half-Life.

He's never actually called G-Man in game. He's just that weird, invulnerable guy who can teleport himself and others at will. I definitely wouldn't think he's human, if I were Freeman. Or, at the very least, that he's not a CIA agent. Wouldn't the weird train they ride on at the end plus G-Man's reality warping abilities give away that he's not a regular guy?

There just wasn't enough time, I definitely would have said more, but I had to cherry pick what I wanted to say most given my time gaps.

I actually thought that Freeman would reflect while sitting in one of the rooms the Nihilanth teleported him to, rather than casually deciding to go back into the chamber with the Great Old One that can kill him [shrug].

I had this thought from the beginning, believe it or not. I realized someone paranoid with some psychopathic tendencies might actually be able to survive that situation better than a well adjusted person.

Yeah, I've heard you say that before- but even Freeman as you characterized him seems like he would be more serious about the situation in the last twenty minutes of the game.

said a lot of stuff in the last episode forum and all

but once again, can't believe it's over, wonderful run, can't wait for whatever else you do, etc.

forgot to comment on here after watching again...blecch

anyway, LOVED the alternative ending, don't know what to say other than it fit so well...

i got nothing that other posters haven't said

i'll be around...

waiting 0)_(0

He's never actually called G-Man in game. He's just that weird, invulnerable guy who can teleport himself and others at will. I definitely wouldn't think he's human, if I were Freeman. Or, at the very least, that he's not a CIA agent. Wouldn't the weird train they ride on at the end plus G-Man's reality warping abilities give away that he's not a regular guy?

So you're saying that it's not believable that he's a human using teleportation technology.

You realize that human scientists send Freeman to a border world, right? They teleport him there? No? Nothing..?

You realize he works at a facility that has technology beyond anything fathomable in our world, right? Where it isn't entirely unbelievable for someone to have the capacity to do things such as teleport, inherently, as it's part of the plot?

And furthermore, you're suggesting that your first reaction to a (seemingly) human individual, with a human voice who understands human speech, calls guns "government property", and wears a suit and carries a briefcase.... your FIRST thought is, "Can't be human."

I understand the old, alien-disguised-as-human trope. I get that all the fans, including myself, have concluded that G-Man is, in fact, extraterrestrial. But I think your perception of him is based on knowledge outside what is accessible in Half-Life.

If you were in Freeman's position, it would be illogical to assume he was an alien given the circumstances.

See, now I'd justify that with the idea that Freeman is probably no longer in touch with reality. In fact, I could argue that he never was.

"No! You can't follow me, you don't have any money! That's the whole point!"

How does Freeman know he's really saving the world?

Arguably, he made it worse. I mean, Ninlanth's death basically made the Combine go "WAKE UP! There's a thing on this planet called "Earth" that could actually threaten us!" And thus the second, much more brutal invasion happened.

Even single time Freeman has witnessed soldiers fighting aliens, the soldiers have always won. Always. I mean, if we WERE ready for the xenian invasion, it wouldn't be the "Ten hour war", as Mike claims. It would be a long one, but I think we as a species could kick Xen's ass. The combine, with their FAR greater military strength is another story.

[quoting the guy who offered money]

That brings me to point two: I would pay cold, hard cash to have this continue into HL2. I'm not joking here. I don't care how you do it, launch a Kickstarter with no prizes whatsoever except cans of beans, set up a Patreon where people get a video plus a smack in the face per month, whatever you need to do.

[end quote]

I second this. I would pay a goodly amount of money for Freeman's Mind season 2. Monetize your work all you need to, I mean at this point you DESERVE it. Hell, Freeman's mind is better than a lot of things I pay for via Netflix.

Reminder the "Xen Invasion" isn't even an invasion - by the lore, it's basically Nihilanth and those little zappy floating big-heads trying to fleed to Earth to get away from the Combine using his slave species, his manufactured soldiers and by consequence also bringing some of Xen's native wildlife by consequence.

It was a desperate flight - hence why soldiers always win in combat and why technically Gordon made things worse.

"WAKE UP! There's a thing on this planet called "Earth" that could actually threaten us!"

That wasn't their reaction at all. It was more like "Hello opportunity to expand our empire!".

I mean, if we WERE ready for the xenian invasion, it wouldn't be the "Ten hour war", as Mike claims. It would be a long one, but I think we as a species could kick Xen's ass.

You should see this thread then: http://www.accursedfarms.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7565

We don't know for sure what lies within the deep depths of Xen. For all we know there really could be an Elder God there.

I could've actually seen Freeman killing Nihilanth and just making Xen his home. I know his optimism, or otherwise 'Welp, this is my new kingdom, I guess' attitude was probably just from being fed up with all he'd been through and abandoning realistic reasoning as his environment seemed to do the same -- but I could still see him reigning terror upon his new subjects with the power of his mighty twelve-gauge.

"WAKE UP! There's a thing on this planet called "Earth" that could actually threaten us!"

That wasn't their reaction at all. It was more like "Hello opportunity to expand our empire!".

Huh. I thought the canon was the combine were scared shitless that Gordon survived Ninlanth. Which is why they hit us so hard. Oh well, now it's headcanon

Sorry to double post, but perhaps if Gordon had stopped his rampage after the testicle spider, that would be best case. No combine attacking, there are still xenians but no more infinite headcrabs to make zombies with.

I'm not sure if that is exactly right either, the Combine had been chasing the Nihilanth for a long time, wiping out its brothers as well. Xen was their last refuge, Marc Laidlaw that at the time of Half-Life the Nihilanth had its back to the wall in regards to the Combine. The Resonace Cascade was simply an "opportunity" to escape from their wrath. So, essentially, the Combine would of ended up coming anyway since they would of seen the portals caused by the Cascade.

Didn't the destruction of Nihilanth cause the portal storms, not the Resonance Cascade? I thought that the Resonance Cascade just opened a doorway from Xen to Earth (and potentially vice versa, if the view from inside the Test Chamber during the Cascade is still valid afterwards--or if the vorts that drop in the Test Chamber don't teleport elsewhere).

My vision of the events immediately following the destruction of Nihilanth is that Gordon is put into stasis by the G-Man, the destruction causes shockwaves to spread out over Xen and the Resonance Cascade tear causes the first portal storm spreads over the Earth. This causes a rebound effect as the shockwaves re-enters Xen, or possibly other worlds, causing regular portal storms to cover the Earth. This activity alerts the Combine to our existence. The portal storms, in my mind, cause untold devastation in "the first days" (see beginning of Episode 2) and the Combine are ripe to take over. Seven hours later, the war is over. The Combine crash Citadels into the Earth (they're welcomed because they stop the portal storms--until Gordon destroys it) and now "crime is at its lowest in recorded history. It's a total U-turn."

"Remember: your decomposing corpse puts out less greenhouse gases than your hybrid car! ...I think."

Not sure about the portal storms, but Marc Laidlaw confirmed that the Xen critters began teleporting in all over the world directly after the incident. He did state that Portal Storms still happened post-Combine invasion.

The whole Combine thing that goes on outside of Earth has really not been explored, as well as also a lot of post-half life stuff, all we really know is from a source outside of the game sadly.

I do really want to see something that shows off the post-Half Life world when portal storms were everywhere.

EDIT: By far, the most interesting theory is what G-Man actually is, a few people have thrown around the idea that the G-Man represents a universal rebellion group, which could be supported since he seems to be anti-Combine. And another theory states that the destruction of the Citadel was done so that the G-Man could bait Combine forces to Earth. However, as you may know, G-Man no longer has power over Gordon anymore due to the "third power".

EDIT: By far, the most interesting theory is what G-Man actually is, a few people have thrown around the idea that the G-Man represents a universal rebellion group, which could be supported since he seems to be anti-Combine. And another theory states that the destruction of the Citadel was done so that the G-Man could bait Combine forces to Earth. However, as you may know, G-Man no longer has power over Gordon anymore due to the "third power".

Gman most certainly has control over Gordon still--- He's just temporarily lost total grip. If you recall correctly, it was not "normal" Vortigaunts that prevented gman from doing things, nor have they shown to have total control over the Gman. At best, they can weaken his grip.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Gman most certainly has control over Gordon still--- He's just temporarily lost total grip. If you recall correctly, it was not "normal" Vortigaunts that prevented gman from doing things, nor have they shown to have total control over the Gman. At best, they can weaken his grip.

One thing I don't doubt for a second is that the G-Man is fucking evil.

He who fights drummers

Huh. I thought the canon was the combine were scared shitless that Gordon survived Ninlanth. Which is why they hit us so hard. Oh well, now it's headcanon

Since the Combine had probably been hunting down stronger versions of the Ninhlanth throughout the galaxy, I doubt they'd be impressed by Gordon.

Remember, they conquered Earth in seven fucking hours.

One thing I don't doubt for a second is that the G-Man is fucking evil.

My guess is he represents another power that take pleasure in pulling the strings of other races to prevent them from ever becoming powerful enough to be a threat. Humans + Vortigaunts are an actual threat.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.