FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 68

The last moments were the best! Loved the alternate ending, very fitting, a huge high note to leave on.

Congratulations, Ross. Wonderful work.

I have to get some more sleep, but here are some replies so far:

That being said, I am crying right now. The completion of the long journey, reading everyone's sentimental stories about how they were in middle school or high school when Freeman's Mind started, and are now out of college, some even married with children, able to see the series end.
It almost feels like some kinda chapter of my life has come to a end considering i have been watching this since it started its going to be kinda odd but well done Ross well done enjoy the rest while it lasts :twisted: Lol
I'm not sad that the series ended, but It feels weird that FM, or atleast the HL1 part, ended, like there is a void of emptiness in my free time.
The best 1/3 of my life is over. Time to end it all.
Ugh, where's that 10 hour Sad Violin video? I think I need it right about now.

Everyone will have their own opinion of course, but I can say with confidence I really think my best work is ahead of me. A lot of people are talking as if I'm retiring, but I hope to be making videos decades from now, it's a matter of figuring out what to focus on where. And I can't resist, for anyone getting too affected emotionally by the ending, I recommend checking out this link for testimony from someone who's been affected EVEN MORE than you (contains audio)!

http://tiredgamer.ytmnd.com/

It is difficult for me to find something entertaining these days. Most shows, movies, games, even Youtube videos are largely just recyclings of the same stuff I've been seeing my whole life. Barely anything interests me anymore.
It's going to take time, but this is a problem I want to continually address.

Take what time you need to recharge and not go crazy on us.
This is going to be a CORE THEME of the video for January.

I think most of us here on the forum knew that you went the extra mile, but I didn't know it was THAT bad.
To be honest, what I showed isn't even the most consuming part, it's mostly doing many takes, editing it down one line at a time, then trying to position that within the timing slot for the game that eats up everything. Like if I have something funnny to say for 8 seconds, but it needs to be within 6, I have to rethink it and start over on that.

Off Topic: You're over 100K subs, doesn't youtube give you a silver trophy for reaching that amount?
Beats me, they haven't told me about anything.

It took a while but you stuck with it and we all appreciate your perseverance despite technical difficulties, trolls and others who shall be politely referred to as 'negative influences'.
Most of that doesn't bother me, I do feel bad when people are frustrated when the videos aren't out faster, but something like Civil Protection would never exist if that was my only focus. The only comments that were bugging me were the ones trash talking about me not making it in time and breaking my promise, when it wasn't even the end of the year. Challenging people to bet against me and put their money where their mouth was took away ALL frustrations with that.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the positive comments, and I plan to address almost everything brought up in this thread in the video later.

Yaaay, the man himself spoke! I expected you Ross to drop from the face of the Earth all the way until another video after all the crap you went trough.

Anywy, since I happen to be at the computer and drunk and after new year's celebration, I will say that while not being a specific fan of Freeman's Mind I did followed it from all the way back to around episode 5 I think. I was past playing Orange Box and got interested in ideas of machinimas and Freeman's Mind along Civil Protection and other people's works happened to be my main interest. It just went from there and never waned. :3 Thank you for you absurdly hard work, Ross Scott. Thank and really freakin' happy new year. >D

Ross, first off, thanks. FM has been a highlight for years and I thank you for the time and effort you have put into it.

I started watching right around the time when the whole Machinima thing was going down. In fact, it was the only reason I was even on Machinima. At any rate, later I was told that the series had been cancelled and I was greatly disappointed.

Imagine my joy when one day YouTube has listed under suggested videos a NEW FREEMAN'S MIND VIDEO. Thank you for putting in the effort to bring it back. I hope it has paid off for you in any of the many ways you wanted it to. If nothing else, I feel it helped you build a community and realize how many of us appreciate your creative and production talent.

Finally, congrats on the 100k subscribers! The YouTube awards are given out quarterly if I recall, so as long as you have signed up as a YouTube Partner, they will contact you eventually.

Thanks again for all your hard work and I look forward to whatever you muse for the new year!

--

techdude

Also, famous fans :)

FM.jpg

didnt think Notch was a fan of Freemans Mind, I know I loved it......it actually was hilarious to watch and personally loved the episode (27 I think) when Freeman sees the soldiers pop out of the box

WHAT THE FUCK!?

DID THEY JUST POP OUT OF A BOX!?!

WHY WERE THEY IN A BOX!?

THATS LOONEY TUNES CRAP!!!!!!!

Jesus....

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the positive comments, and I plan to address almost everything brought up in this thread in the video later.

Here's something I'm confused about, but I'm sure it's going to be one of the first things you address in January, considering I'm likely a drop in a bucket of water: Are you going to continue Freeman's Mind to Freeman's Mind 2? Either way, I'll be happy to watch your videos, but I'm curious if there's an announcement from you I missed as everyone is speaking like it's the end.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Amazing!

Now when's the next season? :PThat's a joke, people.

Now that I think about it, there hasn't been a confirmation or denial of Ross doing HL2.

The ambiguity is killing me here! :P

I want to add some clarity to my stance: Freeman's Mind was great, but if your channel had simply never had Freeman's Mind, I'd still be subscribed, because I LOVE Game Dungeon. And when my friend comes over, and I fail to entertain her (which is often), she always opens my youtube and boots up Carnevil or another Game Dungeon episode to pass the time.

I know you're confident in your other projects, but, given Game Dungeon, so am I.

I hate to say it, but I was actually a little disappointed by part of this episode. Mostly because Freeman's demeanor didn't really change. I expected him to finally grasp the weight of the situation, like Shepherd did in Shepherd's Mind. Or at least be freaked out by some of the other stuff that happened in this level (who would think that the G-Man is just a regular CIA agent?). He seems pretty chill about the fact that he was abducted by a Time Lord.

Overall though, it was great. And funny. Really funny. I especially liked "HP LOVECRAFT WAS RIGHT! HE WAS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING! HOW DID HE KNOW?". Plus, Freeman didn't just blunder and kill the Nihilanth by an accident, which I would have found annoying, so that's cool. Oh, and the credits and alternate ending were pure genius ("DON'T EAT ME!"). Favorite bits:

"Fuck you, and your big head, and your stupid crystals!"

"STOP BEING ASSHOLES! I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT, I JUST HAVE TO TEACH YOU WITH MY BULLETS!"

"Oh god, you're another one of those savant fucks who doesn't know what's happening. I can't take this."

[to the Nihilanth, while dodging deadly ball lightning] "You know, that other guy's a lot more chill than you are. You probably think you're enlightened, with your floating and your prayer motions, but really, you're just a dick."

"It's better dying in a low-gravity ballet trying to kill an Elder God than... well, that's my only option, really."

"HE KEEPS A UNIVERSE IN HIS HEAD!"

[final words of series] "You're threatening me, you took my weapons, and you're a fucking Time Lord. This is bullshit.

I'll be disappointed if it turns out that this is truly the end. I'm still hoping "season 2", happens, even though this episode has given the impression that it is the last (e.g. the title being "Episode 68 [FINAL EPISODE!]"). From a purely practical standpoint, there's not much sense in abandoning the series altogether. It seems to be your most popular production, your fan base would probably shrink if you just outright stopped, and you have stated that you'd have a much easier time coming up with jokes for Half-Life 2 anyway. But, if you're truly burned out on it and/or don't want to make another multiple year commitment, so be it. I'll still follow your content for the Game Dungeon alone (Civil Protection seems to be up in the air, at the moment).

Well, whatever the case may be, enjoy your resting period and your new year. If you believe that your best videos still haven't been made, then I look forward to seeing what exactly you have planned. Guess I'll just have to wait for the mid-January update.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Thank you, Ross! I've been with you since the first episode, and have never been disappointed. Well, that's not true. I initially hated the pirate episode and thought you had lost your mind. Of course, now it's one of my favorites. You are an awesome talent.

Congratulations Ross.

I know the messages about Half Life 2 have been ambiguous, and even if you do do it, it won't be for well down the road, but I'll tell you that the $5 I donated last time will become a whopping $10 when you decide to start on it. I'm pretty sure you can live for at least a week for on five USD in Poland, so just think about how much you'll be able to do with $10.

My little gaming blog

https://corktowngaming.wordpress.com

Thank you for this Ross. It is emotional to see this go, but I am excited to see what is to come. A great way to spend the start of 2015, watching the final half hour of Freeman's Mind (I didn't catch the last episode when it released).

I'm pretty sure I was in middle school when this started. I'll start college in the fall. Thank you again, Ross. Looking forward to more game dungeon (which I honestly prefer over FM) and whatever else you have planned.

I hate to say it, but I was actually a little disappointed by part of this episode. Mostly because Freeman's demeanor didn't really change. I expected him to finally grasp the weight of the situation, like Shepherd did in Shepherd's Mind. Or at least be freaked out by some of the other stuff that happened in this level (who would think that the G-Man is just a regular CIA agent?). He seems pretty chill about the fact that he was abducted by a Time Lord.

Big problem with that: The end scene is very short, the G-Man talks over most all of it, there's wacky shit going on, and there's only about twenty seconds of actual 'dead air', and it's on the tram at the end, where you have to make the choice. Not a lot of room for introspection.

I'll be disappointed if it turns out that this is truly the end. I'm still hoping "season 2", happens, even though this episode has given the impression that it is the last (e.g. the title being "Episode 68 [FINAL EPISODE!]"). From a purely practical standpoint, there's not much sense in abandoning the series altogether. It seems to be your most popular production, your fan base would probably shrink if you just outright stopped, and you have stated that you'd have a much easier time coming up with jokes for Half-Life 2 anyway. But, if you're truly burned out on it and/or don't want to make another multiple year commitment, so be it. I'll still follow your content for the Game Dungeon alone (Civil Protection seems to be up in the air, at the moment).

Freeman's mind is definitely his most popular work. I'm very certain he will extend this to Half Life 2, but I don't expect anything on that until probably summer... if at all this year. He wants to do other shit, and personally I look forward to more Game Dungeon.

If/when Freeman's Mind comes back, it'd be nice to have some kind of extended monologue for Freeman set during the extended sleep between games. :)

I gotta agree with RandomGuy on this one. This whole series Freeman has been bumbling around trying to save his own skin. I was hoping Freeman would finally have an 'I have to save the earth!" epiphany, but it was just more of the same. Though 'the same' is still very good, I think there was a real missed opportunity for a change in Freeman's character and an even more dramatic finale.

Big problem with that: The end scene is very short, the G-Man talks over most all of it, there's wacky shit going on, and there's only about twenty seconds of actual 'dead air', and it's on the tram at the end, where you have to make the choice. Not a lot of room for introspection.

Well, he could have at least had SOME reaction to the G-Man. He only even acknowledged his supernatural abilities in passing ("... and you're a fucking time-lord.")

Thank you Mr Scott for putting 7 years into this series, despite the, what I believe TV Tropes likes to call 'Magnum Opus Dissonance'. It was truly the end when Military Precision, which I will now forever associate with the inner workings of a certain physicist's mind, was allowed to play in all it's glory.

I gotta agree with RandomGuy on this one. This whole series Freeman has been bumbling around trying to save his own skin. I was hoping Freeman would finally have an 'I have to save the earth!" epiphany, but it was just more of the same.

He is so far removed from any sense of salvaging a former life, though, and, expanding on that, salvaging the lives of others. He has come to terms with and accepted his place in the world and does not feel an onus to safeguard humanity as he has formed a nihilistic viewpoint throughout the journey.

I wasn't really expecting him to suddenly want to save the world. I just expected him to change his demeanor a bit as he grasped the situation. Maybe he could throw in a little self-reflection and acknowledgement of how screwed he is, like Shepherd did. That, and perhaps show more of a reaction the reality-warping guy the suit. I mean, we got a bit of that ("It's better dying in a low-gravity ballet trying to kill an Elder God than... well, that's my only option, really" / "...and you're a fucking Time Lord"), but it was very understated.