FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 68

I like how there's two endings. That means there's a high chance you could either leave the series as it is, or continue with it.

Maybe.

I just... I don't even...

I wasn't really expecting him to suddenly want to save the world. I just expected him to change his demeanor a bit as he grasped the situation. Maybe he could throw in a little self-reflection and acknowledgement of how screwed he is, like Shepherd did. That, and perhaps show more of a reaction the reality-warping guy the suit. I mean, we got a bit of that ("It's better dying in a low-gravity ballet trying to kill an Elder God than... well, that's my only option, really" / "...and you're a fucking Time Lord"), but it was very understated.

Constant shock and duress does that to a person. At the least, it was 2 days. At the most, it was 4 days, if I recall correctly. Mere minutes of shock have had years-long effects on people.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

(who would think that the G-Man is just a regular CIA agent?)

While I can understand your skepticism on that point, keep in mind that Ross uses the premise that Freeman forms conclusions based on two things; his personality and what he observes in the game.

Evidence to suggest the G-Man could be CIA (from Freeman's perspective):

1. He's seen ample evidence of a giant government coverup at Black Mesa. Marines have killed every scientist they can. They've failed to kill Freeman over a substantial period of time. A guy shows up, tells him he has limitless potential, and offers him employment. I know Freeman doesn't say it, but maybe he figures they've decided he's too hard to kill and it's better to work with him. That's consistent with his ego.

2. G-Man dresses like a government official. This is why he is known as 'G-Man' after all. He also speaks English.

3. G-Man talks about Xen being "under our control." Throughout the game, there are two extremely hostile forces; aliens and the US military. Freeman doesn't have any information to suggest that G-Man represents some mysterious third party. After all, Black Mesa has sent hundreds of researchers into Xen, heavily armed, along with soldiers and tanks. Freeman probably thinks he's capped off the takeover of the other world by killing its most powerful entities.

Sure, there are plenty of things that aren't explained (how Freeman winds up with G-Man [possibly explained by going through one of the teleporter-like orbs given off by Nihilanth], G-Man's apparently supernatural powers [which Freeman acknowledges]). Also, while we, the audience, know the series is at its end (for the moment, at least), Freeman does not know that. He just wants to get out, as ever.

Add in the fact that G-Man doesn't really give Freeman much room to respond...makes it tough to squeeze in a different theory.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite site on the extranet.

Oh boy, the grand saga is finally over. Thank you for all the entertainment you've provided these past 7 years. As Isaac Kleiner would say, "Bon voyage, and best of luck in your future endeavors!" :thumbup:

To people saying Freeman's reaction to the ending was a bit, uhm, not dramatic enough, remember from the beginning Gordon has signs of being a sociopath.

Might be using the term wrong but basically, he shows little to no empathy: he sees scientists die frequently, shoots an innocent security guard and shrugs at it in his paranoia, and in general becomes more unhinged and unfeeling to the world around him.

Overall, I think it'd take a lot to actually mess with him, if anything can at all. In a way, you can say his lack of empathy or surprise is what makes him so good at killing aliens.

Hey guys, as I said before, I'm currently working on the video merging all the episodes from FM. It'll take a while, but I think it will be ready in the next week (I can't finish it this friday, sorry).

See ya!

Registered after lurking for quite a while for two things:

First: Thank you, Ross. As many others have pointed out, Freeman's Mind simply was extremely good entertainment. I was happy every time I saw a new video pop up and didn't care how long it took you. Didn't even think for a second to throw money at my screen when you needed some to push through to finish the series. It's rare, particularly with YouTube series, that something delivers on such a consistent basis, maintains its quality over time and finishes leaving a taste for more.

That brings me to point two: I would pay cold, hard cash to have this continue into HL2. I'm not joking here. I don't care how you do it, launch a Kickstarter with no prizes whatsoever except cans of beans, set up a Patreon where people get a video plus a smack in the face per month, whatever you need to do.

I understand finishing HL1 was a daunting task and you got a lot of hate for taking your time with it. But I also think that through working on it, you found your tone and your tone found a fanbase. You've proven the haters wrong, you persevered and won the appreciation of us all. You've made it. This is what so many people are struggling to get, whether they know it or not. You are now at a point where you could continue this - not chasing something, but delivering from a zone of comfort. You know you can do it and we know we will like it. That's a precious gem that is yours for the taking now.

I don't even know how FM would work out in HL2, how the character you developed would fit in, how the different tone of the game, the different pacing and the environment itself would work out. I don't know - and I really like that. Because after 68 goddamn episodes, I know with certainly that whatever you'd do with this task, it'd be awesome, entertaining and worth whatever you ask in return from us.

Now, I also have trust (judging from the other series you've been working on) that whatever else you decide to pick up will at least be worth my time checking out and it's exciting to see that you're excited for whatever is cooking up in your head right now.

As Anton Ego said: 'Surprise me!'

Just whatever you do, please hear my humble request to make a continuation of FM part of it. Because it is daunting and perhaps a bit simplistic and boring and tedious. Because it's "just more of the same" (yet totally not, as we've seen in the last episodes) and obvious and too familiar and there's so much else to possibly do and all those things.

Because in spite of all that, I still want to frigging see it. I want to see Ross "I'm done with that phase of my life and have learned so much and am now in a different, awesome place" to take the series from here. I really liked how he finished off the last season.

Step out of the train into the goddamn teleporter, Jeeeesus Christ.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Thank you for all you've done for us. For all these awesome videos that helped me to live through some bad times. When shit hitted the fan the thought of "welp, there will be more Freeman's Mind, so it's worth it anyway" helped me a lot. And now it's over. I'm kinda happy and I'm kinda sad at the same time. It's a conclusion after all this years, so this is great, but... What the hell am I gonna be waiting for now?

Why, Half Life 3 of course. =D

The series was really great. Thank you for it, Ross, you were a suitable voice for one of the greatest silent video game characters. And I'm happy that you said "I can say with confidence I really think my best work is ahead of me." Everyone should think so about themselves actually.

Really hoping to see FM2 someday. I think, if you'd make a fund raiser for the 2nd season, it would be as successful as was your previous fund raiser for upgrade of your PC! =)

BTW, I started reading this thread in 2014 and finished it in 2015. Probably the longest thread I've read here. =D

Congratulations on finishing Freeman's Mind, Ross! I think I was still in highschool when I discovered it. I remember when there were only eight episodes. I think "That's not the initiative that kept Soviet paratroopers off my lawn!" is still my favorite line in the whole series.

I could tell each time you released a new episode even before my subscriber notifications noticed in the last couple of months because every time you did, I got a huge number of views on my "The Sound of All Freeman's Mind Episodes Playing at Once" video. It's funny, because I made it before Freeman mentioned that he might accidentally clone himself with a teleporter, and now everyone's bringing that up in the comment section.

Would you be alright with me putting ads on that video? I know it's probably too late to ask this since I doubt I'll be getting any more massive piles of views from being associated with your videos now that the series is over, but I thought it would be better to ask late than never.

I started watching around 2010-2011 ish. I've been following the series off and on, but I've seen every episode at least twice. It's been great, and I'm excited to see what you work on next.

After all the hours of watching and years of waiting, the final Freeman's Mind episode has come, and brought the series to an end... I am glad that I am still alive. 340 million people died since the series' inception in 2007, how many of those started watching it and never got to see the end? 

It was so worth the wait!

Best and longest YouTube series I have ever followed.

Kudos, it is a fantastic work. Well done.

While I can understand your skepticism on that point, keep in mind that Ross uses the premise that Freeman forms conclusions based on two things; his personality and what he observes in the game.

1. He's seen ample evidence of a giant government coverup at Black Mesa. Marines have killed every scientist they can. They've failed to kill Freeman over a substantial period of time. A guy shows up, tells him he has limitless potential, and offers him employment. I know Freeman doesn't say it, but maybe he figures they've decided he's too hard to kill and it's better to work with him. That's consistent with his ego.

2. G-Man dresses like a government official. This is why he is known as 'G-Man' after all. He also speaks English.

3. G-Man talks about Xen being "under our control." Throughout the game, there are two extremely hostile forces; aliens and the US military. Freeman doesn't have any information to suggest that G-Man represents some mysterious third party. After all, Black Mesa has sent hundreds of researchers into Xen, heavily armed, along with soldiers and tanks. Freeman probably thinks he's capped off the takeover of the other world by killing its most powerful entities.

Sure, there are plenty of things that aren't explained (how Freeman winds up with G-Man [possibly explained by going through one of the teleporter-like orbs given off by Nihilanth], G-Man's apparently supernatural powers [which Freeman acknowledges]). Also, while we, the audience, know the series is at its end (for the moment, at least), Freeman does not know that. He just wants to get out, as ever.

Add in the fact that G-Man doesn't really give Freeman much room to respond...makes it tough to squeeze in a different theory.

Also, let's keep in mind that - if you played Half-Life back in the day - nobody knew shit about the G-man. It was one of the most unexplained, weirdo things we'd ever seen in a game. In fact, even to this day, 90% of what we "know" about the g-man is just speculation.

You see the guy like six times throughout the entire game, and he's easy to miss most of them. He doesn't say or do anything except look at you and leave. Then he stands there and yaks for thirty seconds and the game's over.

I enjoyed it and think it was a fine finish to an amazing series, good job Ross. I remember coming to this series early on, I think I was still in elementary school, probably around episode 3, and it was the best and funniest thing I had ever seen. It's actually significantly influenced how I carry myself in life and I quote it quite often. I really do hope for a FM2 at some point, so fingers crossed

Also, let's keep in mind that - if you played Half-Life back in the day - nobody knew shit about the G-man. It was one of the most unexplained, weirdo things we'd ever seen in a game. In fact, even to this day, 90% of what we "know" about the g-man is just speculation.

You see the guy like six times throughout the entire game, and he's easy to miss most of them. He doesn't say or do anything except look at you and leave. Then he stands there and yaks for thirty seconds and the game's over.

you should also remember in HL2 he does make it sound like Freeman's been in some type of stasis where Freeman is needed again.....but he also makes it sound like he isn't as well since his words: "The Right person in the Wrong Place can make all the difference in the world." so there is that to remember too....for all we know, hes an ageless being that can make it so Gordon has to deal with him for life...even into what could be the final game if Valve gets busy with it already..................Still waiting Gabe......either give us a date on when it will happen or plainly say its not gonna happen

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

I imagine Ross could make the Freemans Mind series all the way through Half Life 2 and episode 1 episode 2 and Valve still will not have made Half Life 3 think i could die of old age before that game even has a theoretical release date at this point.

Back by popular demand!