How Important Are Graphics in Video Games?

How important are the game graphics in the overall quality of the game?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How important are the game graphics in the overall quality of the game?

• Graphics are the most important factor
    • A very important factor
    • Somewhat important
    • Not important at all
    • Depends on the game

Some of my favorite games in the world have terrible graphics. Sometimes I have trouble distinguishing between people and the scenery it's so bad (playstation 1 ftw). However, the gameplay and storyline just keep me latched into the game, and so graphics to me aren't very important at all.

It's all about story and gameplay... more so story because I made it through Mirror's Edge just to see what happened. I don't think I've ever cursed so much at a single video game.

Mirror's Edge is a good game, just a bit difficult.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

They are important, but the quality of the game is more important then the graphics which some devs need to get through their heads.

As a PC gamer, graphics may be a hindrance to a good gameplay. When playing Half-Life 2: Episode 2 at maximum setting, the framerate will suffer and I'll have a laggy gameplay. So when playing FPS, graphics can and will affect your gameplay. (unless your PC is a monster rig that can handle high quality settings, that is)

As a PC gamer, graphics may be a hindrance to a good gameplay. When playing Half-Life 2: Episode 2 at maximum setting, the framerate will suffer and I'll have a laggy gameplay. So when playing FPS, graphics can and will affect your gameplay. (unless your PC is a monster rig that can handle high quality settings, that is)

You mean like mine? XD

Tbh, you really don't need a super computer to play Half life 2 or any of the newer games on max settings(crysis like games aside). Mostly because games these days are build for 10year old consoles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tbh, you really don't need a super computer to play Half life 2 or any of the newer games on max settings(crysis like games aside). Mostly because games these days are build for 10year old consoles.

Excuse me? 10 year old consoles? Like the PS2? I DON'T think games these days would even run on a PS2 without considerable recoding and redesign.

You mean like mine? XD

I never had enogh money to upgrade my rig lol.

Not true. If you want to keep up with new games, upgrading your PC is a MUST

Excuse me? 10 year old consoles? Like the PS2? I DON'T think games these days would even run on a PS2 without considerable recoding and redesign.

I obviously don't mean THAT long. But for example the xbox that thing is old. The point I'm trying to make is that games made for the PC will always better(graphically) because PC's evolve constantly, while consoles are stuck on their current generation hardware for quite a while.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In what kind it's dificult? sorry, I didn'd play this geme yet.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

I play comfortably at 35-40 FPS or above. I can play all of my games at high or max settings with my monitor's native 1920 x 1080 and get that good framerate. My monitor has a 60 Hz refresh rate so if I get 60 FPS then I get the best experience out of it.

In what kind it's dificult? sorry, I didn'd play this geme yet.

It's not a difficult game, really. It can get a bit frustrating because of the trial and error factor, but at least for me, after a while, I did a lot of the levels at first try, and it feels AWESOME to do everything at max speed withour dying once.

That is a very difficult mechanic to achieve, the game's events have to prepare you for it to give you a chance to survive on first try. Some games don't even try and pretty much force you to die-and-try your way out of certain situations, they make me able to melt iron on my forehead. . .

Mirror's Edge is like a modern Prince of Persia. I love them both

I was a fan of PoP once. Yeeeaah, it's great

Mirror's Edge had a beautiful visual style, and the acrobatic puzzles were great. The story and combat sucked though.

Mirror's Edge had a beautiful visual style, and the acrobatic puzzles were great. The story and combat sucked though.

Gameplay and graphics over content then?

Many games, *good* looking games has that problem

Sometimes as long as I can enjoy the gameplay of a game, graphics and story aren't that important.

Silpheed is a good example of this phenomena.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.