ACCURSED FARMS 2015 ANNOUNCEMENTS VIDEO

:3 lol that comparison to JTHM made my day ross.

Planning on becoming an 3D modeler, maybe I could help you out later in life... nothing I make now would be worth your time though.

Maybe if you want to keep making small things to keep youtube sated you could make "vines" aka extremely short but silly/funny over the top videos in random games. You don't need to talk in all of them so you could bypass some video editing and they're so short. It would take a lot of ideas though if you plan on doing a lot of them.

Also I'm so thrilled about the shirts. The civil protection logo on the shirt I have now is starting to crack a lot. It may peel off in another year or half.

also idk about the hair man. my dad's got the same color and length of hair as you (except now he sports a kickass beard as well) so I don't understand why people would demand you'd cut it :shock:

(imo it'd be cool if you dreaded it)

Disclaimer: I used to do volunteer sound work for a couple of years. Nothing amazingly full on, but I love the electrical and acoustic theory side of things and I used to teach it to other people.

The land of audio equipment is full of more tomfoolery and myths than any other dimension. It happens to the best of us: we take something we read or hear someone say and treat it as fact, when really they probably did the same themselves. The more someone swears blind by what they know the more you should question them.

... so please feel free to disagree and argue with me! I encourage it. I am no god of sound.

Mics

You gave yourself a couple of requirements in your video:

• Masochist to shouting
  • Directional (does not pick up background junk)

Your current mic already does that. What is it that you dislike about it? If you want to mount it I recommend gaffa tape and old books or bent fence wire. There's no point buying a new mic just for the stand.

If you are comparing microphones

Make sure they have:

(1) A 'cardioid' pick-up pattern or similar, such as 'super-cardioid'. This means that it cancels out sound coming from directions other than the way it is facing, within reason.

Hopefully everything you are looking at will be somewhat directional, but don't put it past any manufacturer to just not care. It's much simpler to not bother engineering the housing around the actual microphone capsule which by default generally lends the device to be omni-directional.

(2) A pop filter (big foamy bit). Without it you will make massive amplitude spikes every time you blow on the mic when talking. The minimal distortion is more than worth it and if you really want to try without one: it generally only takes a few seconds to remove.

(3) Stated specs. That preferably means a sensitivity spec (how much power is made per unit of sound pressure) for you to compare. Beware different units, dBV != dBa != dB....

Higher sensitivity -> the noise floor of your equipment is lower compared to your wanted sounds. ie it's less likely people can hear the hiss in the background AND you can use the mic from further away without issues.

If no specs are given: try to find them from the manufacturer's site. If they don't exist then don't touch the mic with a stick -- no company would make a decent mic and then not bother writing about it IMHO.

Me getting angry at other people

@microphones that Youtubers recommend. This immediately scares the beans out of me -- does the youtuber appear to be a reliable source information about microphone choice? Have they compared their new, expensive mic against any other mic in the same price range? It's Dre Beats, BOSE and related companies all over again. On their own they are "ok", but compared to everything else in the same price bracket they're utter junk. Don't trust someone that cannot demonstrate they made an educated choice beyond the brand-name.

Yes youtubers use microphones often, but that just makes them an expert in the mic they use. How can they recommend it over other things? How are they any different to any person recommending you a mic?

EDIT: I just checked the price of the PR-40. Wow. You could get four SM58's for that :P

I'm also a pessimist. Sometimes I think video makers are sponsored by the mic salesmen or via a youtube entity they run through. The flashier a mic looks the less likely the company is selling them to a professional crowd.

16-bit at 48KHz is remarkably low output quality compared to most analog to digital converters.

This is unimportant to ross.

(1) Humans cannot hear the difference in quality levels above redbook CD ( 44.1kHz 16-bit ). You're probably not claiming this (I don't know) so please forgive me if I'm being rude.

(2) Ross's setup only analog to digital converts the sound once so you're not going to have quality loss through DtoAing and back again signals out of phase through several pieces of equipment. You would need a lot of equipment for it to start to matter.

For digital formats: amplitude aliasing will not be audible or noticeable if Ross is only re-encoding his audio a few times over. Lossy audio compression will do more damage than this, and if it's done right you don't hear that either.

(3) The most sad part: any company who knows (1) has no reason to use decent AtoD conversion above the human hearing threshold. Most of that is going to be utter junk, and even if it wasn't poorly converted your equipment setup may have feedback/interference at those frequencies that you simply don't hear and therefore don't notice to remove.

Wait, you don't hear it? Oh yeah, (1) :P

I'm an electronics hobbyist familiar with choosing parts, working with (commonly erroneous!) datasheets and designing circuits. I do not do this professionally but I am somewhat familiar with design processes through my own experience and talking to others. We have to deal with signals that we don't want and have to filter out all the time in circuit design, something like "above human hearing" is just another thing to add to the pile of "don't give a shit, low-pass filter it out to avoid other issues" we already design around.

For bitdepths: if the sampling is not accurate, these extra bits are mostly generated noise. If you can't hear them it does not matter if you're using 16 bit recording or 24 bit with the last 8 bits made mostly of junk noise.

I'm sure many products do higher frequencies and bitdepths perfectly well, but there's not much point except in a few rare situations. Most of all: you would have to verify this yourself with test equipment to even know.

EDIT: I should reinforce that recording at higher qualities does not do any noticeable harm, it's just that it's not worth the money or space if more is needed than otherwise. ie don't judge recording equipment by its sampling rate unless you have a very good reason you know you have to.

Tl;Dr; Humans lose all logic when it comes to judging audio, forget that "sounds good to me" is likely "I'm the only person that can profess to tell the difference".

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Good job Ross! You've answered all my questions! X3 Including voice acting. I've always wanted to voice act before. My friends all have said that I have a very flexible sort of voice, it's naturally deep, and I'm female so it can go higher at will. God, I sound like I'm asking to be a voice actor for it. I'm sorry. @_@ I'll stop now. But yeah, I hope to see what you can make out of this movie! Unfortunately I'm a nobody so, I can't help, even if I wanted to. X3 Heck yeah, I can draw and make music, I'm the Jack of all trades. But, I'm only decent at everything I do. I'm talented at everything, I'm just not PERFECT at anything.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

First of all, cut your hair.

Secondly: man, I gotta admit I'm a little disappointed by the lack of Freeman's Mind for the next three years or so. But, on the other hand, I'm somewhat happy that we didn't get confirmation that it wouldn't happen at all. So that's cool, I guess.

Third, in regards to new, small videos: I thought that was the point of the Game Dungeon? If you need videos that can be completed even more quickly than that, I'd like to see a series of somewhat unstructured rants/discussions/analyses on recent gaming trends and business practices (there's already some of that in the Game Dungeon itself, but apparently you want to take that out), and new games themselves . Like the ME, Fallout, and HL series, for example (I got reminded of one of them since you mentioned red, blue, and green clips... guess which). Maybe even films. Not like "this year" new, but new relative to what you usually cover. I might be in the minority on this, but I LOVE those kinds of videos when they're from the right person, and from what I've seen I'd probably like that type of video from you. I'd be curious to see your opinions on certain issues.

Fourth, it's nice to see that you have so much confidence in that full-length film. You've said it'd be set in a Medieval-Fantasy environment, but what kind of environment specifically? Something inspired by a specific work? A generic fantasy kitchen sink? How many major characters will there be?

Fifth, Civil Protection being in limbo again is unfortunate. I mean, I already basically knew that, but I can't remember having it explicitly confirmed, so. I'll still come back here periodically for the Game Dungeon, but with Freeman's Mind and Civil Protection both being postponed massively, and the movie project taking up two years as an absolute low end, this news was kind of a bummer.

Sixth, Serious Sam music is the best background music, regardless of what the video is actually about.

In any case, good luck, and I look forward to whatever new content you can pump out.

Tl;Dr; Humans lose all logic when it comes to judging audio, forget that "sounds good to me" is likely "I'm the only person that can profess to tell the difference".

As Veyrdite beat me to it, anything really anything more than 16-bit/48KHz is really nit picking especially for a game recorded film.

Ross, I think your fanbase is a lot more dedicated than you think it is. Freeman's Mind may be your best and most popular series, but we love you for being you.

Now, that being said I really have to ask this question. How do you view your video making? Do you plan on doing this as your career? I mean, if you do I think that's great. You're making money, and I love watching your stuff, so it's a win-win. But all I'm asking is would there ever be a point where you would think enough is enough? I mean, obviously one day there would be, but I'm asking before retirement.

Also, extra question, are there any other little hints/details you could give away about this movie of yours, or are you keeping it a much better secret than the HECU ever could hope to?

I really hope it isn't the latter, I don't feel like answering the door to a squad of armed marines.

"No! You can't follow me, you don't have any money! That's the whole point!"

I would contribute if you did a Patreon. I normally prefer to donate to people fewer times with larger amounts, but I know it's more comforting to have a lower amount appear regularly. Hell, it would work out better because I wouldn't have to think about making a donation, it would just happen automagically.

I don't think prizes are really a necessity. I would contribute sans prizes. The whopping two other Patreons I've looked at either didn't have prizes, or just had sneak peeks of new content for backers (which I don't care for, as I like experiencing the full product). Maybe start with just a prize-less Patreon and later consider prizes?

I want to make subtitles for this, but as this isn't technically a content video, I'm going to put it somewhat on the back burner for now. I'll work on subtitles for this when I have free time, but it might be a couple weeks before it comes out. Maybe sooner. Who knows*? Beyond that, I'm super excited about the upcoming projects! :D

* Not even the Shadow knows this one.

Thanks for the update Ross.

Can't wait for the movie! A few suggestions:

First, please create a twitter account, or use one you have (if you have it). It's an easy way to gain some visibility and an even better way to make some connections with other like-minded folks. Yeah yeah...twitter....but just think about how easy it'll be to keep your Adonis-like visage in the hearts and minds of your fans. Lets face it...that chest hair DEMANDS attention, it is like a beacon of awesomeness so why not share it with the world? Also, it'll be FAR easier for us, the fans, to advocate on your behalf and to hopefully get you in touch with people who can provide the assets/help/whatever you'd need.

Speaking of assets, i strongly encourage you to reach out to Polatarium, who is working on Shroud of the Avatar (Ultima!!!). The reason I suggest this is they do a fair amount of crowd-sourcing of assets they use in game. Perhaps they can get you in touch with some of that crowd who'd be likely to approve your use of said asset. Also, Richard Garriot/Starr Long are notorious for not only funding of smaller projects but truly believe in both an open dev philosophy and creative works done by those not in the 'industry'. In addition, they have done a fantastic job of crowd-funding, should you ever wish to take a step in that direction. They do a fair amount of interaction on social media so...you know....do that stuff? maybe?

Also, I might suggest trying to reach out to other folks in machinima, but also those who do game reviews and content-reviews online. I'm not thinking you do this to try to get them to plug your stuff, but rather to use for networking purposes as they DO have contacts at various studios who could perhaps lend you some assets/time/experience/grooming skills. And who knows, maybe you make some new fans etc.

I realize that the schmoozing aspect of this movie project is probably not high on your list. I mean, there's only so much conversation about bugs in your beans you can have right? Well... have you considered bringing on individuals who may be willing to do this for you? I know i'd volunteer time and energy to help try to bring people to you. or bring you to them?

The bottom line is that i'm sure, I, like many of us, want to see you succeed. Not just because we want a little ROI on those donations (ok who am I kidding, I didn't give you any money), but because we all want to be a part of what you do in any way we can.

Think about this for a moment if you will. Over the last...however many years you've been doing this, people have found hours and hours of entertainment in a space (machinima) that we know nothing about. We just like to have fun and watch some videos? I know zip about IV17, RGB or any of the stuff you mentioned towards the end of that video. But I do know that your fans likely have some crazy skills in other areas, and that would be happy to help you, for free, on their own time, because...well because our mundane lives can get boring. I know....who wants to ask for help? That shit can be tedious and probably will cause you some stress having to deal with people. People suck, i know.

Just know that if you'd call, we'd pick up the phone, and maybe only hang up on you one time out of five.

The reason I haven't used twitter is I already check the forums somewhat and email, and youtube comments to a lower extent. There's already more than I can keep track of, so adding on top of that isn't really a priority. That and the vast majority of my news posts are just announcing the videos, so the format of twitter doesn't really jump out at me.

I could check with Shroud of the Avatar, but my guess is companies will be much more willing to share assets AFTER production, sharing them beforehand just opens yourself up to a potential liability / leaks that they wouldn't have much incentive to do.

As for volunteers, I'd be fine with more people assisting, but honestly about 80% of people who offer to help I never hear from again once I ask them to do something small first. The flake out ratio can be so high that I have to weigh the pros and cons of getting help v. doing it myself much of the time.

I'm very happy that The Game Dungeon is continuing, though I'm slightly apprehensive about your wish to make it "more concise", as you say.
I basically want to avoid situations where what I'm talking about will appeal to a small minority of people and I'm essentially just abusing my ability to have a sort of soapbox. Polaris Snocross was pretty close to what I'm after. You can check the post of that for what I decided to leave out of it.

For the movie, I know you said you needed to get alot of technical stuff done first, but this is about the soundtrack. I could volunteer to do the soundtrack. You said it was a kind of medieval setting so I guess it'd need to be orchestral. I just finished a short orchestral demo track. I'll only put it up if you want me to.
You can always send me a demo. I actually have someone in mind who contacted me after the Strife video that really nailed the kind of mood I was after, but this project is going to be big enough to support multiple composers for sure. I am going to be somewhat merciless on what music I include however as that has a huge impact on the atmosphere.

I'm American and I've always thought "Accur-said", but Ross pronounces it "A-cursed" in this video and it shook up my world for a second
The dictionary says either is valid.

Yay! All of my questions have been answered!

As an idea, what if there was content created for Accursed Farms? More specifically, content generated by community members, but approved by Ross. It would free you to work on "This Movie" while still being able to keep the community invested.

For instance, Opposing Force and Blue Shift are time lines that occur at exactly the same time as Half-Life. Why not some community driven spin-offs? Not only would it give the community something to look forward to, but also to be involved with.

As an extra, you get some exposure to writers, editors, animators, and voice actors.

IT'S A WIN WIN!

I had a thought about that before, but my main concern is I'd rather avoid having to reject work that someone worked really hard on, but wasn't to my taste. Besides, Gorilla Gong is growing as a better avenue for that sort of thing, though the view boost is still small for now.

I'd like to echo what this gentlemen said in regards to GD. I much prefer your videos as is, or I suppose the way your most recent one, or any of your past ones are. If I wanted a pointless soundbite with no substance then there's plenty of other choices out there. Listening to someone who's not a shill, or sellout, and who's just as passionate about gaming as I am talk about games, or rage about the evilness of EA is exactly what I want to hear.
The biggest thing I think I'd like to do is make some of the episodes more thematic somehow, though that can drain a lot more time and only add a little bit to the production sometimes. I like how Angry Joe will sometimes have skits that tie in with the particular video game, but besides having limited production means, that's the sort of thing that could take up the time of 2 or more "normal" game dungeon episodes.

Alright, sending it in an email. Tell me if it's not the right mood. It was kind of a general mood so if it's not what you're looking for I would like it if you could tell me. Thanks.

(why do I feel like I wrote that wrong)

"Exits are supposed to be difficult to locate! Because GOD HELP YOU if someone exited your building by accident. Then, they'd have to come back in!"

"Roger, Roger. What's your Vector, Victor?

Freeman's Mind may be your best and most popular series, but we love you for being you.

+1

Do what you enjoy. If you're not enjoying, we're probably not enjoying it. Judge yourself harshly!

On another note, I'd just like to mention that I would have actually liked to see if I could help you out on your writing problem with fillers and what not, as I have planned to become a writer at some point. I have so many ideas for fictional novels, it's unreal. Unfortunately at the moment I am in the process of becoming a military recruit and am therefore somewhat busy at this point, but if that was to fall through I would simply love the chance to explore possibilities in helping with the writing load.

"No! You can't follow me, you don't have any money! That's the whole point!"

(1) Humans cannot hear the difference in quality levels above redbook CD ( 44.1kHz 16-bit ). You're probably not claiming this (I don't know) so please forgive me if I'm being rude.

One of the main problems with that assumption (which is untrue of a large portion of humans, typically called audiophiles) is that most people have never had audio equipment capable of performing most audio above 192k MP3 quality. (or for that matter ever hearing anything better than CD-A in an audio-only environment) Most PC sound cards need to be manually adjusted so they won't resample down to 16-bit/44.1kHz, and most of them have either cheap stereo speakers or really poor quality headphones. I, personally, can pick out the difference between any sample rate up to 96kHz at any bit depth, and at any sample rate determine the difference in bit depth. (I have the use of decent headphones, and have altered the quality settings for my sound card) It may seem like there's nothing in the extra area to those that can't or haven't had the equipment to perceive it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. For me personally, it can mean the difference between getting a headache after 3 hours of listening, and not getting a headache at all.

Another problem is that many people will try to use a musical comparison, but use a version of the music that was designed for an audio CD, not for vinyl or DVD-A. (DVDs primarily use 24-bit 48kHz for movies now because a LOT of people CAN hear the difference, blu-rays even bottom out at 48kHz because of it) The problem with this is, many studios mix the studio masters down (called remastering) intentionally cutting out anything that can't be used by the intended format, so as to prevent distortions and noise. After it has been remastered for a CD, it won't matter what format you put it in, it will always sound the same as or worse than a CD.

And the last reason I am going to put out here... Most people can't tell the difference, not because they can't percieve it, but because they don't recognize it for what it is. (kinda like a lot of people being told for a very long time that they couldn't percieve above 60Hz refresh rate on their monitors, but then slowly realizing that most COULD see a difference up to about 100Hz, and a few up above 120Hz) Recognition come through exposure, and most are never exposed long enough to recognize it.

I am willing to continue to provide information on this subject if you would like, but I'd rather take it in a dedicated thread in the Serious Topic section. Just make a thread there, and I'll respond.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Ross,

Glad to hear from you again! I'm looking forward to your movie and any of the other stuff you are putting out.

RGD + Movie sounds good to me!

As far as the technical questions go, my favorite mic for vocals is the Electrovoice RE20. They are pretty pricey though so you might want to try one out at some local place before you buy. It is fairly common here in the US in radio and tv stations so you could call around and see if any local stations have one you could try. It is great at ignoring background noise.

For the volume balancing question, check out the presets in the effects rack tab on the left.

Some presets you could try include:

Clean Up and Level Voice Over

Voice Leveler and Noise Gate

If you want to get more specific, you can tweak the individual settings in the rack, particularly

Speech Volume Leveler

Hard Limiter

Adaptive Noise Reduction

Note that on the Speech Volume Leveler, you will probably want to check Boost Low Signals, uncheck Compressor, and possibly mess with your noise gate level.

Below is a quick screenshot of some of the stuff:

levels_zps3cfbfota.png

You also have to press apply for some of the effects because not all of them allow for a live preview.

You may have already played with some of these things before, but I cannot stress enough that the settings are often very specific to each voice so you will probably have to mess with it a bit until you find the settings that work well for your voice and your speaking style.

For general noise reduction, highlight a piece of "blank" space where you are not speaking that contains some of the background noise. Press SHIFT + P or go to Effects->Noise Reduction/Restoration->capture noise print. Then select the whole clip and press CTRL+SHIFT+P or go to Effects->Noise Reduction/Restoration->Noise Reduction (process) to open the dialog and let you remove the captured print from the whole track. Play with the settings a little and it will work pretty well.

As a final note, if none of the above stuff works for you, check out the Dynamics Processor (Effects or Effects Rack->Amplitude and Compression->Dynamics Processor). It allows for a great deal of flexibility and can let you specify different db changes (expand and compress) for varying input db value. It is really powerful when used properly, and once you get some settings that work, you can set it as a preset you can use on all your files.

Hope some of this helps anyway,

~

techdude

As far as the technical questions go, my favorite mic for vocals is the Electrovoice RE20. They are pretty pricey though so you might want to try one out at some local place before you buy. It is fairly common here in the US in radio and tv stations so you could call around and see if any local stations have one you could try. It is great at ignoring background noise.

Yes, another good mic. (and expensive too... lol)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Seriously looking forward to the movie, although two years seems like a crazy unimaginable timespan to me. But anything that excites you this much has got to be the awesomest thing ever.

You mentioned the possibility of doing some easier-to-produce, more abridged form of Freeman's Mind for Half-Life 2, and I've gotta say... if I have any say in it, then no way. I'd much rather wait a few years for Freeman's Mind 2 if that's what it takes to keep it at the same quality that you did for Half-Life 1.

i think ross has one of the best voices I have ever heard

That reminds me of this overused joke about Episode 3 being cancelled because Freeman's voice actor died*.

No, I think he's still alive and well. And making videos.

Dr Wallace Breen's actor did, however, pass away.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

I, personally, can pick out the difference between any sample rate up to 96kHz at any bit depth, and at any sample rate determine the difference in bit depth. (I have the use of decent headphones, and have altered the quality settings for my sound card)

OK, but just be wary that your experience can be explained by different things as well, not just being able to hear 96kHz. It's perfectly possible you can indeed do this, but it's much more likely you are listening to the differences between your equipments distortion ("colour") when it tries to reproduce higher frequency or bit-depth content.

Ie the tone of everything changes unintentionally when playing things that are supposed to sound better, and you like that tone better. To you it sounds better but it's not necessarily for the reasons you think. There are other explanations too that match your results -- be wary, and be a skeptic until you can prove things scientifically :)

...most people have never had audio equipment capable of performing most audio above 192k MP3 quality. (or for that matter ever hearing anything better than CD-A in an audio-only environment) Most PC sound cards need to be manually adjusted so they won't resample down to 16-bit/44.1kHz, and most of them have either cheap stereo speakers or really poor quality headphones.

Indeed a lot of us have not had the luck to use some nice speakers or headphones, so if there was a difference to hear this high up we wouldn't be able to anyway on most equipment.

Sidenote: I don't believe adjusting an existing 44/48khz sound card to desample higher rates is a good idea. Commonly the outputs are low-pass filtered to aid stability of the amplifiers, so you would also need to modify the boards or else almost all of that higher freq content would roll off and never leave the card. If you did, then overall distortion would probably increase (mainly more high-freq content) as the amplifiers would oscillate more. YMMV, but it would be much more advantageous to get a card designed to do higher rates.

I'm glad Ross is focusing on the movie if that's what he wants. I'm confident it'll be good.

I would like to see Project Gotham Racing 1 (or 2), Midtown Madness (any of the three games, but the first one is the oldest and most obscure) or Burnout 1 on the Game Dungeon though.

Mics

You gave yourself a couple of requirements in your video:

• Masochist to shouting
  • Directional (does not pick up background junk)

Well if I need to shout, my current mic is still pretty good, but for things like game dungeon and other videos, me having to shout is rarer, whereas it's practically a given for Freeman's Mind.

My friends all have said that I have a very flexible sort of voice, it's naturally deep, and I'm female so it can go higher at will.
While there won't be as many roles in the script, given my viewer demographics, female parts will likely have far less competition.

I'll still come back here periodically for the Game Dungeon, but with Freeman's Mind and Civil Protection both being postponed massively, and the movie project taking up two years as an absolute low end, this news was kind of a bummer.
I know man, but I have to pick something and in my mind, the movie will blow away everything else I've done, including CP and FM. This isn't just some experiment, if the movie goes the way I'll hope, I won't be able to top it, I'll just be able to hit similar quality levels onwards. Besides, I'm cool with people who leave for a long time and check back way later just to see if there's anything new.

Now, that being said I really have to ask this question. How do you view your video making? Do you plan on doing this as your career? I mean, if you do I think that's great. You're making money, and I love watching your stuff, so it's a win-win. But all I'm asking is would there ever be a point where you would think enough is enough? I mean, obviously one day there would be, but I'm asking before retirement.
It's sort of turning into a career by accident, and ironically feels more dependable than my previous stuff like computer repair work or any number of hell jobs I've had in the past. As for the future, I have two main goals: Sustain myself and make the movie. After the movie is done, if I get enough support, maybe I could make more awesome movies / series. As for "retirement" the only thing I could absolutely see myself retiring from is animation. I'm going to go all-out on the movie because it's some of my best material, but it's a very real possibility I'd never want to animate again after it's done. Out of all the things I do to make the videos (acting, writing, editing, etc.), I like direction the most, so that's what I'd rather gravitate towards in the long term, but I'll just keep doing something regardless. I don't really see myself stopping to do creative stuff, I just would eventually want more free time down the line.

Also, extra question, are there any other little hints/details you could give away about this movie of yours, or are you keeping it a much better secret than the HECU ever could hope to?
Honestly, I'm going to keep this pretty tight. I'll make some sort of trailer once it starts getting close, but you shouldn't expect more and more details as time goes on. If you want a little more details, I'll give some safe ones: The environment is going to mostly "low fantasy" and not based on any specific universe. It might not hurt to think of this as sort of a "side story" in something like the Tolkein world. The characters and plot are going to have much more significance than the environment itself. I plan to have lots of comedy, but I want it to come from lots of funny situations rather than any tongue in cheek stuff. Also believe or not, the movie is inspired by a small game mod, but it hardly writes itself, I'm taking a game concept I thought was kind of amazing and turning into an adventure / actual story in itself.

i think ross has one of the best voices I have ever heard
Well, I'm not Simon Templeman.

Ross,

You might've considered this already, but for easy (and consistent) youtube content, you could do a sort of monthly roundup of Gorilla Gong videos. Like, the 'Top 10 videos for the month of January, as voted on by our panel of judges'. I realize this functions a lot like the featured section of GG, but it would get more people to check back to the site, while also giving you youtube views.