ACCURSED FARMS 2015 ANNOUNCEMENTS VIDEO

Edit: A mic I think you may like is the Shure SM57. It's a $100 dynamic microphone that is supposedly awesome for the price. It's a cardioid pattern mic and is used a lot with high-pitched and loud instruments. I've used one a few times, however, that was a while back and I don't have any recording samples I can give you. It only picks up things in the 40-15000 hz range, though.

If you want to go dynamic then this is a good choice. Go for the SM58, which is the same price but with a pop filter for vocal use. Be wary however: as the SM57/8 is very popular so are the fakes. Use your head when buying.

@Vapymid: eneeth is the second molecule in the carbohydron group, preceded by enemeth and succeeded by eneprop. Chemistry students seem to find the similar alkene and alkane groups more popular for some reason :!:

If you want to go dynamic then this is a good choice. Go for the SM58, which is the same price but with a pop filter for vocal use. Be wary however: as the SM57/8 is very popular so are the fakes. Use your head when buying.

I've listened to a few tests and the sm57 sounds more natural for vocals than the sm58. I looked up a video on it for someone who could explain it better than me and this guy goes into a lot of detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYpONrVN5EA

Edit: I just watched the rest of that video. With the windscreen on, the SM57 sounds a bit worse than the 58.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

So I'm going to throw this out there, but one of the most popular people who uses pixel art in modern stuff is Freddie Wong with Rocketjump Productions. Does anyone know who does the pixel art for his shows?

I've listened to a few tests and the sm57 sounds more natural for vocals than the sm58. I looked up a video on it for someone who could explain it better than me and this guy goes into a lot of detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYpONrVN5EA

Edit: I just watched the rest of that video. With the windscreen on, the SM57 sounds a bit worse than the 58.

Most likely. I'm sure generic pop-filters are cheap anyway, so it's not too much of a vital choice.

On the graphics of 3D films, I recently found an interesting essay by American CG artist David OReilly.

It discusses the aesthetics and graphical quality of high budget and low budget films while explaining what he had done with his at the time latest short film, Please Say Something. While I can imagine that the film in question swings a little closer to Art House than your movie will, it's worth a read.

Here is the essay: http://files.davidoreilly.com/downloads/BasicAnimationAesthetics.pdf

Please Say Something:

I'm currently loving Accursed Farms, and am looking forward to your future work! Also, I think that you look nothing like Jesus.

Be wary however: you'll most likely need a phantom power source if you go the condenser route. I'm not sure of your current equipment setup but you should be able to get little preamps that do it for less than 50 USD -- keep this in mind when considering cost. There are some condenser mics with built in power supplies and USB analog to digital converters, but there is no-where as much choice when it comes to these.
I already have a pre-amp capable of Phantom Power. It's an "Audiobuddy". It gives me a very clean signal, although it is WAY too sensitive with volume control in my opinion.

Unfortunately, like I said, this basically requires switching to Vegas or script-kiddy editing via AviSynth or dealing with Virtualdub's terrible interface.
I've done a lot with virtualdub and avisynth before, though I'm unfamiliar how to stream that straight out of Premiere. Even being able to stream from lagarith to handbrake might be acceptable. I might eventually switch to Vegas, but for now I'm at least familiar with all of Premiere's bugs and can work around it.

It discusses the aesthetics and graphical quality of high budget and low budget films while explaining what he had done with his at the time latest short film,
Well this is clearly the work of a madman as he's willfully choosing to disable antialiasing. Regardless, I would argue there's a big difference between a 10 minute film and a full length movie. The closest thing I've done to it has been The Tunnel, but the movie is going to be much more work than that was (though hopefully more productive since I won't have to wrestle with Source).

Ross, did you get permission from Valve before using Freeman's voice in this video?

WHAT?!?! Ross, you don't look like this?
That's also been my mental image. "I need to make the movie" *spits cigar*

I already have a pre-amp capable of Phantom Power. It's an "Audiobuddy". It gives me a very clean signal, although it is WAY too sensitive with volume control in my opinion.

Nice little preamp... What do you use currently for an analog-to-digital converter?

Well this is clearly the work of a madman as he's willfully choosing to disable antialiasing. Regardless, I would argue there's a big difference between a 10 minute film and a full length movie. The closest thing I've done to it has been The Tunnel, but the movie is going to be much more work than that was (though hopefully more productive since I won't have to wrestle with Source).

Might want to check and see if CorridorDigital can give some pointers.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

eneeth is the second molecule in the carbohydron group, preceded by enemeth and succeeded by eneprop.

Ah, exotics... I forgot about these. Almost as unstable and toxic as erwat, I suspect...

Regards

Hey, Ross.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this to you but have you considered doing livestreaming on Twitch? I know you said in your video you're not the best when it comes to inprov but I do believe you could put out enough good stuff even on the fly. Plus it gets you some income both on twitch and on youtube if you decide to upload those over there as well. Also, it provides some content for your viewer base while they wait for your game dungeons and THE MOVIE. You could do streams once or twice a week for a few hours and go back to your business.

Just an idea.

(sorry if this has been proposed before - didn't find a mention of this at least in this tread).

eneeth is the second molecule in the carbohydron group, preceded by enemeth and succeeded by eneprop.

Ah, exotics... I forgot about these. Almost as unstable and toxic as erwat, I suspect...

Regards

Am I missing something here? I googled these names out of curiosity and nothing comes up?

@kingkolton his image is of an ethene molecule with the hydrogen and carbon swapped (ethene -> eneeth)

Man, that was one hell of a video.

- No Half-Life 2 Freeman's Mind!

Me: Crap... Welp, maybe there will be Civil Prote...

- No Civil Protection!

Me: Crap... Welp, at least we're still getting Game Dun...

- I know some of you will wanna burn me on the stake...

Me: Dear God.

- No 60 FPS!

Me: Stop scaring me like that!

Am I missing something here? I googled these names out of curiosity and nothing comes up?

We were joking, but only by half.

As jbenefi1 said, the molecule is that of ethene (aka ethylene) with the atoms swapped, which makes it impossible in the shape shown. Hence the made up name... But. There is a substance with 4 carbons and 2 hydrogens - diacetylene - only its molecule is shaped totally differently. It is somewhat exotic (naturally occurring on Titan and the Moon, though).

As for erwat - that would be 02H, which does not exist in reality as a standalone substance. However, the hydroperoxide group OOH does exist as part of some organic compounds. It is unstable and maybe explosive and also probably toxic...

Regards

I am an avid amateur of photography, video creation and have some experience with microphones.

If Ross is into a lapel/lavalier type microphone, then there is really only one good option in the 'prosumer' segment, the RØDE Lavalier. In Europe it can be bought for around €180 http://www.thomann.de/gb/rode_lavalier.htm. However you should add about €25 to the Price since you will need an adapter (the microphone is delivered with a proprietary plug). It does have one downside, its omni-directional (records sound from any direction), but due to its placement, this is not a problem, unless used in noisy surroundings.

A good cheap handheld microphone is the Shure SM58 (I know others have mentioned it). It is an all out classic. Good built quality and uni-directional (cardioid). In Europe it can be bought for around €110 http://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_sm58s.htm. Highly recommended.

Both microphones require phantom power and should be plugged into some type of pre-amplifier with and XLR cable. There are several solutions to this.

I own both microphones and can deliver samples.

We were joking, but only by half.

As jbenefi1 said, the molecule is that of ethene (aka ethylene) with the atoms swapped, which makes it impossible in the shape shown. Hence the made up name... But. There is a substance with 4 carbons and 2 hydrogens - diacetylene - only its molecule is shaped totally differently. It is somewhat exotic (naturally occurring on Titan and the Moon, though).

As for erwat - that would be 02H, which does not exist in reality as a standalone substance. However, the hydroperoxide group OOH does exist as part of some organic compounds. It is unstable and maybe explosive and also probably toxic...

Regards

Thank you for explaining!

I am an avid amateur of photography, video creation and have some experience with microphones.

I'd sure like to see some samples of the Lapel mic verses the Shure mic.

My avatar is a bit of a joke -- I need to give everyone here kudos for being the first community to question it. Eneeth could probably exist, but even without a grounding in calculating bond energies I can probably guess it would be ridiculously unstable. Hey, it might be even more fun than metal azides that stir themselves using explosions (good read, technical bits can be skipped). That and it looks like an ASCII crab.

Both microphones require phantom power...
The SM-58 is a dynamic type microphone so it does not need phantom power and shouldn't gain anything from it. ;) Welcome to the forums btw!

Hello everyone!

For a while, I've been checking out this site to read up on forum posts and of course to watch Ross’s videos. I thought now would be a good time to make an account and to be a part of the community!

So now that I am here, I am willing to help out when needed and to make friends. :) Speaking of which, Ross, if you need a 3D modeler, I can help you out there.